It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Study: Cell Phones May Pose Health Risk for Kids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Sir William Stewart of the National Radiological Protection Board (NRPB) is recommending that children under the age of eight not be given cell phones. Stewart cites the evidence that cell phone use has health implications. A British company that recently introduced a cell phone for the under eight set has put sales on hold until they can study the research. Stewart admits that there is no evidence, as yet, that cell phone use adversely affects public health.

www.foxnews.com
Parents should not give cell phones to children aged eight or under, the chairman of an official study into the safety of the phones said Tuesday.

Sir William Stewart, chairman of the National Radiological Protection Board (search), or NRPB, said there was a growing amount of research that showed using cell phones has health implications and it was therefore wise to adopt a "precautionary approach," particularly with children.

"I don't think we can put our hands on our hearts and say mobile phones are safe," he told a news conference to launch his report.

"When you come to giving mobile phones to a three to eight-year-old, that can't possibly be right."

A British company that recently launched a phone aimed at 4- to 8-year-olds said it was suspending sales until it has studied Stewart's report.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A phone designed for four to eight year olds? I may be old fashioned, but there's got to be more wrong with this picture that health risks. When I was eight, I was herding cows in exchange for milk for my family, went to school barefoot, all phones were landlines with rotary dials, party lines were common, and most kids had a three minute limit on phone calls to anyone but a relative. Times have changed.

Related News Links:
www.usaweekend.com
www.usaweekend.com
www.emrnetwork.org
www.globalchange.com

[edit on 05/1/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Times have changed and technology is the main "toy" today. Kids also do not go out as much due to the fear by their parents of abduction. Despite the fact that the vast majority of attacks on children are by people known to them. We also have heightened fears due to the media being able to report anything from anywhere in hours. I doubt 100 years ago people in towns a couple of hundred miles away from each other would have been "informed" of an abduction. The world is in essence much smaller and thus the volume of bad news is apparently much greater than it actually is.

I find the report interesting. Clearly the government does not want to say mobile phones are bad otherwise the industry would go ballistic. On the other hand increasing evidence indicates problems so they also cannot say/do nothing since the future will catch up them very quickly and the voters will go ballistic. Hence the decision to warn against the use by under 8's.

As for me, I've never had a mobile and never will. It's a microwave transmitter. Now do the math wrt distant squared from your head wrt distance squared to the base station, plus maximum working distance plus minimum detectable power.....no thanks ! Still nowhere as bad as the older satellite based mobiles, wow!

new topics

join