It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scans of King Tut’s Tomb Reveal New Evidence of Hidden Rooms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Nicholas Reeves, a British archaeologist said in a published paper not to long ago that he thought there was a hidden chamber behind the wall of Tut's tomb. Now with the help of some sophisticated radar scanning he may be proven right.

If it is Nefertiti's final resting place (Untouched by grave robbers) it really will be a special find for the antiquities department.

Anyway I know there are some on ATS that are interested in all things Egyptian so enjoy.

Second round of radar scanning will look for more clues to what lies behind the walls of Tut’s burial chamber. One theory: the tomb of famous Queen Nefertiti.

On Thursday, Mamdouh Eldamaty, the Egyptian antiquities minister, held a press conference in Cairo to announce a tantalizing new piece of evidence: Radar scans on those walls have revealed not only the presence of hidden chambers, but also unidentified objects that lie within these rooms. These objects, Eldamaty said, seem to be composed of both metal and organic materials.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
How many more threads on this will there be?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Just break the walls already!!!.... I'm predicting that the Egypt and mass media will milk this for years. First probably a one hour National Geographic documentary about scanning with xrays, then a year later another 1hr documentary where they drill a small hole and put a camara inside, then a year later they send in a robot, then a year later again they open up one room but behold is is just a small room and there are new walls to be explored and more documentaries to be made and exploited for $$$...

-MM
edit on 18-3-2016 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Why hasn't this been done before now? Is this technology really THAT new?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

Two words: ZAHI HAWASS

He fought for decades to maintain the existing academic paradigm and to stifle archaeology.

With his firing Egypt is reentering modern Egyptology and teaching the world what is has been missing for a long, long time.

I'm looking forward to all the new science out of Egypt.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: 123143

originally posted by: queenofswords

Two words: ZAHI HAWASS

He fought for decades to maintain the existing academic paradigm and to stifle archaeology.

With his firing Egypt is reentering modern Egyptology and teaching the world what is has been missing for a long, long time.

I'm looking forward to all the new science out of Egypt.

Had nothing to do with that. Though I would say he didn't trust Mr. Reeves. In 2000, he oversaw excavations near Tut’s tomb based on radar scans done by that pointed to the discovery of a storage chamber, but nothing was uncovered. Then reeves moved on to thinking Nefertities tomb was hidden in Tuts tomb. This time hawass said no he wouldn't allow drilling into the walls if the tomb. Can't say I blame him drilling into walls of plaster will only destroy the wall paintings with a chance of finding nothing. Even Hawass suspected there may be a room thus the attempt to find it in 2000. HOWEVER it isn't worth destroying Tuts tomb in search of the chambers. Even now with the scans I guarantee they won't go through the wall they will attempt to enter the room through another passage if it exists. Here is the wall they would have to destroy.
mobile.twitter.com...

PS this isn't even a new theory it was 2013 when high resolution scans were released there was claims thr outline if a door could be seen.it has been suspected for a while. If its nefertities tomb it could be worth a look if its not and just a storage area then damaging the wall would be a shame. Could turn out just to be Tuts man cave lol.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

These people are not idiots. They will find a way to preserve the walls.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

The technology itself isn't that new, LIDAR has been around since the 60s but only recently it has become comapct enough to take to remote and hard to reach areas, also it is only recently that it occured to anyone it could be useful for archeology. Thanks to LIDAR we discovered Angor Wat was double the size we thought it was, we were able to map out the cities and roads that once sprawled through the Amazon rainforest, turns out ancient Egypt had more cities and towns than we first thought which means we grossly underestimated the population of Ancient Egypt. It also mapped out the irrigation system of Machu PIccu and finally we figured out how they built those terraces. This has all only been in the last five years. LIDAR has really helped to rehape how we see the past and given us a broader persepective than what normal archeology can achieve on its own.

new topics

top topics

join