It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fish Face

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
As some may know, I'm single again, after a 20 year marriage. I've been on a dating site for several months and to tell the truth, it's been useless. Actually, it's worse than useless, it's annoying. I have no idea why, but 7 out of 10 post pictures with their lips puckered. Every picture. Doesn't matter where they are, what they're doing, as soon as someone points a camera at them, their lips seem to have a mind of their own. I call it "fish face".
Why?
What makes them think they look better like that? Do they think it's sexy? Trust me, an over 40 woman, head turned, trying to look coy, with puckered lips and dressed like a 20 year old hotty is not attractive. Don't get me started on the ones whose picture just happens to always includes a shot of their cleavage. Or a profile shot in a full length mirror. Those are the ones I can tell are either saying "look at my ti*s" or it screams insecurity. Come to think of it, it's probably a combination.
And what's with the "over the head" thing? No one has just a regular shot of them smiling and happy. Nope. Gotta be over the head, lips puckered, in a public restroom with huge mirrors.
And WTF are they doing hangin' out in public restrooms taking pictures?
I saw one of a 67 year old, 400 lb woman doing that.
Times like that, I wish I was still a drinkin' man.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Being a 40 something woman? Thanks facebook. Stupid people continually encouraging other stupid people to do stupid things, including taking stupid pictures.

I don't know what to tell you. Too many 40+ year old women, trying to pretend they are 20 again.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I've been on a dating site for several months and to tell the truth, it's been useless. Actually, it's worse than useless, it's annoying.

Not one date? Maybe its you. How long you been divorced…

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I have no idea why, but 7 out of 10 post pictures with their lips puckered.

What about the 3 out of 10 who don't? Nothing there you like?

As for the rest, my guess is they assume men won't be interested in them unless they look young, and that's just what the young women do these days.

I would hate to be trying to date at my age. I'd most likely just make a life for myself on my own.

Good luck.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
You can thank television and pop culture.

Women are conditioned from birth to believe once you hit 28 it's all downhill and there is no such thing as beauty with wrinkles...

Mob Wives, The Real Housewives of wherever, etc. all make for a bunch of prescription pill popping, SUV driving stay at home 40 somethings who talk on their phones on speaker in public, and make fish faces.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I will be glad when this 'trout pout' goes out of trend. Even the old gals are doing it.

Somebody please make it stop.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It's more than likely me. I have certain standards and if they don't match up, I pass. Which may make me sound like a dic*, but, I know what I want and I'm not going to settle for whatever comes up. You know? I want intelligence, beauty, personality, the whole works and I'm willing to wait for it.
It's like when you order a meal. You didn't ask for your steak to be well done, it's not the way you like it and you're not going to accept it.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I want intelligence, beauty, personality, the whole works and I'm willing to wait for it.

Lots of luck, most people aren't that perfect. Especially on a dating site.

Try putting yourself up there? Paste your list of requirements and see what happens.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I would hate to be trying to date at my age. I'd most likely just make a life for myself on my own.

I'm only 51 and I'm beginning to think the rest of my life is going to be very lonely. I do very well on my own, but I enjoy having someone to talk to, cuddle with and someone who enjoys all the little things I do. But, I'm not going to settle for anything less than what I want. I've never been one of those who will take what they can get, just so they won't be alone. I know many like that and they just go from relationship to relationship, hoping the right one will finally come along, but they'll take what they can get in the mean time.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I have. Seems there are a lot of people out there with a very undeserved, but very high opinion of themselves. We're talkin' some Seriously unattractive people.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

We're talkin' some Seriously unattractive people.

Over 40?

If you are well off and fit, try a younger set. Some girls go for older guys they can rely on.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

That's something I've always wanted to ask a woman. Do "you" think that women go for a bit older guys, because they're looking for maturity and reliability? Because "you" are tired of the guys who bar hop, strut and preen every night? Are "you" just tired of the whole "look at me" scene and want to settle down with a man who knows what he wants?
I think that's where I'm headed. Not too much younger, maybe 8 - 10 years, but no one under 40. We just wouldn't have much in common and I'm not looking for just a "play mate" if you know what I mean.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Dude, I feel terrible. Let me fix you up with the girl who cuts my hair....

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

That's something I've always wanted to ask a woman. Do "you" think that women go for a bit older guys, because they're looking for maturity and reliability? Because "you" are tired of the guys who bar hop, strut and preen every night? Are "you" just tired of the whole "look at me" scene and want to settle down with a man who knows what he wants?

Absolutely, lots of girls looking for a 'father figure'. Aren't they, girls?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Just think, when you get tired of her you can just stick her to the side of your fish tank.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Be back later folks. Real life just took over.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

I think that's where I'm headed. Not too much younger, maybe 8 - 10 years, but no one under 40. We just wouldn't have much in common and I'm not looking for just a "play mate" if you know what I mean.

Hi DAVID!
I had another reply started but decided to delete it and respond to your above question.

Some younger women are looking for a daddy, especially if theirs was/is absent (for whatever reason).
Some are looking for financial security.
Only some are looking for maturity and reliability.

That 'pouty face' selfie phenomena is horrible...just don't even bother asking out any woman who endorses this. Anybody who needs endless validation is too high maintenance, male or female.

The selfie thing isn't just a girl thing. I know a couple of men in their 50's, both divorced...who facebook post at least 6-10 different selfies every day. One is always shown surrounded by a huge drum kit and various guitars that he has collected but can't play. I find it sad.

jacy

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Dude, I feel terrible. Let me fix you up with the girl who cuts my hair....

Good God man! I just had breakfast!

"Had" being the operative word. It's on the floor now.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl

That 'pouty face' selfie phenomena is horrible...just don't even bother asking out any woman who endorses this. Anybody who needs endless validation is too high maintenance, male or female.

The selfie thing isn't just a girl thing. I know a couple of men in their 50's, both divorced...who facebook post at least 6-10 different selfies every day. One is always shown surrounded by a huge drum kit and various guitars that he has collected but can't play. I find it sad.

jacy

This pretty much sums it up. I think the obsessive posting of selfies, often trying to flaunt things the person has or places they've been (and other times, just how filthy their bathrooms are), mostly has to do with a desparate need for validation in what they consider (consciously or subconsciously) a failed life. It's not that their lives are actually "failed", but they perceive it to be, meaning they have very low confidence and personal happiness. Thus, they follow what others are doing, thinking they will find some kind of outside validation (likes?) Ugh...just do something useful, interesting, whatever - do something that makes you happy instead of figuring out what to do next that would be best for posting to social media.

I'm glad I'm not in the dating world anymore, but if I were, I would think most people are self-sorting themselves out of the potential mix. In a way, it's much easier to identify the 99.995% of people you absolutely don't want to be with. A single fish-face picture is a solid indicator. Well, a single one could be done ironically / to make fun of the "phenomenon", but if done "seriously", it's a far quicker and far cheaper "no-go" indicator than a few dates would be.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join