It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy, 13, killed mum after attempting to rape her in row over Call of Duty

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Well exactly.

The trouble is that there are certain conditions which can only be diagnosed by behavioural analysis, and that would require involvement of a professional in the field from an early age, to monitor the development and the psychopathology of the individual over time.

The thing is, that mental health provision is overlooked or under funded in both the U.S. and the U.K., so even the more obviously afflicted are not monitored well enough. In societies which largely fail to properly provide institutional care and broad monitoring of the mental health of the population, those conditions which manifest all of a sudden and without apparent warning, are all but certain to cause massive trauma to those who bear the brunt of those explosive episodes.

No matter which way you slice it, the answer to these issues, both the mass shootings that have been kicking off all over the place, and these isolated, single victim incidents, would not be nearly so likely to occur, if the mental healthcare provision in the societies affected by them, was up to snuff.

We have the same problem here, people walking around with ticking time bombs in their skulls, improperly monitored, infrequently and improperly dealt with, some of whom ought not be wandering around unsupervised, but ought to be institutionalised, but due to the cost of same, are left free to damage themselves and others as a result of their malfunction.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Wow, this is a kid who's going to have to live with what he did to the woman who took care of him and brought him into the world, for the rest of his living days.

This is a kid who's going to grow up one day and with a mature mind, come to the realization that he actually slaughtered (and attempted to rape) his own mother... over a trivial little thing like a video game... because of an impulsive and childishly immature temper tantrum.

This is a kid who's in for a world of hurt.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

There is a difference between a temper tantrum, and entering a violent fugue. One is controllable, the other specifically is not.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I use the term "temper tantrum" lightly.

But my point is that this kid has some serious anger management issues (another term I use lightly), and with years of therapy, he will one day grow up and the reality of what he did (because he was not of mature sound mind at the time) is going to hit him like I brick wall.

I can't help but feel a little sad for this kid because I don't believe him to be a purely evil psychopath... he called 911, which to me indicates that he does have a conscience somewhere in that screwed up head of his.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ISeekTruth101

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: ISeekTruth101

I have read the statements from this 13 year old kid, and I do not believe he is mentally unstable, as he is fully aware of the situation and the gravity but I am willing to except that he may have a disorder which caused him to explode and act irrationally. The way you worded your first post was that the child was generally of an unsound mind.

How well do you know the child personally?
edit on 18-3-2016 by GreenGunther because: Trying to fix the quote

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: theboarman

What a violent society you have over the other side of the pond kids here get a scuff around the ear , even though we are 7 times as violent as America i have read , i have never come across anything like this happening in the uk .

It must be all the brainwashing !!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

That's just the thing. What he has going on is more like a disassociative condition, which separates his reason from his actions. Again, it cannot be referred to as a temper tantrum, or anything he has control of. He will not realise in a few years that he has done wrong. The chances are, if he does indeed suffer intermittent explosive disorder, that he realised what he did the moment the fugue state wore off. That must have been a totally shattering experience, especially if this was the first manifestation of his illness.

He could well have a conscience, and a well adjusted one at that. No matter how good or bad he is when not in an altered state, when he is in an altered state, his actions are not under his control, or even motivated by his desires, needs, wants, obsessions. They may as well be the actions of another individual, for all that they have to do with his character under normal operating conditions.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I've worked with adults like this kid, in a few years this incident will slip into the the recess of his mind, the demons will only come out when he is not active but it will always be there, bubbling away just below the surface and anything could bring it out.
he will settle into the ebb and flow of the system and live it out, thats how it is.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Excerpted quote from the kid: "I think I have some form of ADD..."

So was he on prescription speed? Sitting in front of a violent video game, with the brain's pleasure centers firing like mad while virtual bodies drop due to his actions? Seems like a great way to program (accidentally, of course) violent behavior. Just a guess/possibility.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Excellent points, and I can't even imagine the horror of "snapping out of it" only to find you killed and nearly raped your mom.

I don't blame violent media whatsoever, but they may not be a good mix with mental problems and/or psychoactive medications. This, of course, goes back to the necessity of a revamping/updating of our mental health systems.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   

"Evil" is a concept of religion, not law. So, you are left asking yourself (from a position of rational thought): is it or is it not abnormal for a 13 year old to try to rape and subsequently murder his mother? Having been 13, and having known countless 13 year olds myself, i cannot say that it is what I would consider "normal".

Mental health is purely a study of normal vs abnormal psychology and psychiatry.

What cannot happen is to use outrage at a story in a way that allows us to rationalize away the truth: any child who would do this is a child who has mental issues that are yet to be diagnosed. And, likely, the trauma from the incident will exacerbate those issues and possibly create new ones. In essence: he has victimized himself with his violence.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: theboarman
2013 article

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
jail or not that kid has to live with that for the rest of his life.

Wonder how many hours a day he was playing that game?
Also wonder if he's on any sort of medications.

I've played it too- it's not that good, but the kids really get into it. The console brats scream and curse into their headsets for hours over it- they're too wound up. Maybe being in that wound up of a violent state of mind for so many hours a day isn't good for developing minds?

If he was playing that game more than three hours a day, mom should have stepped in sooner.

I remember when I was a kid playing violent video games, talking about banning them was all the rage. Glad they never did, but I wonder where games would be today if there were no "see how many people you can kill before someone kills you" games anymore. Quake2 was my jam, but portal2 was a far superior type of game.

So will there be talks of banning certain video games in this country again?

It's funny re-visiting a topic like this all these years later. I'm still on the same side of the argument as I was as a child, but my reasoning has changed dramatically. To think how naive I was back then- and how naive I'll look today, some twenty years down the road.

Fortunately for me, My parents made me go play in the dirt with a stick every now and then.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
she could have protected herself if she was armed!... with better parenting...

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Jesus christ. Ill be god damned if i ever let my son play ANY video game at this rate. Seriously this is getting out of hand. The generations are becoming more and more sadist.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

But they are not, not by a long way.

My life was hell when I was a schoolboy. The violence I was exposed to at the hands of other kids was immense and damaging. From age five to age sixteen, there was some level of violence in every weekday of my life. Prolonged exposure to that violence altered my normal instincts, as a result of which, it took me two years to train myself not to respond to a hug with a chop to the throat and a knee to the sternum.

My kid is in school, moving up to secondary school this September. He is not exposed to anything even remotely like what I was, and for that I am extremely grateful.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight
You are right in one way. We all live in our last days, from the moment we take our first breath. So every generation lives in their own calendar of the last days.

The CKoL is also right, as each generation seems to increase exponentially, that which is good, and that which is bad, that they inherited from the generation before.

With time, it is almost impossible for us to avoid a climatic end.

Good news is that it will likely just trigger a reset.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

"Evil" is a concept of religion, not law. So, you are left asking yourself (from a position of rational thought): is it or is it not abnormal for a 13 year old to try to rape and subsequently murder his mother?

A more daunting question is,"Is it becoming normal, expected or accepted, for a 13 year old to have these thought or to act out this type of behavior?"

Our societal norms are changing, and not always for the better. Not for the betterment of self, mankind, or the planet.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
If anyone here has never heard todays kids playing these games, I'm sure it's on youtube.

Talking of raping eachothers mothers is commonplace in todays young CoD players

Combine that sort of exposure (like TrueBrit said, you sort of get trained by prolonged exposure) with the kind of hormones going through a 13 year old these days, add the high sugar diet I'm certain he was on, plus all the bonus hormones he's absorbing through the pathetic diet we eat here, and I'm sure his head is a mess.

We're all mad, here, in some way.
Like the kid said- who tries to rape their own mother?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

"Evil" is a concept of religion, not law. So, you are left asking yourself (from a position of rational thought): is it or is it not abnormal for a 13 year old to try to rape and subsequently murder his mother?

A more daunting question is,"Is it becoming normal, expected or accepted, for a 13 year old to have these thought or to act out this type of behavior?"

Our societal norms are changing, and not always for the better. Not for the betterment of self, mankind, or the planet.

"This, too, shall pass"

The one thing you can always say is that "times are changing". They've always been changing. Forever. Always. Maybe its a better mankind, maybe not.

But to your core question: is raping and murdering ones mom becoming "normal". No. Its not. Not even close.

The Beetles long hair didn't cause people to kill each other. Neither does Call of Duty.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join