It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African American Towns And Businesses The Unknown Story:

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
During many a discussions both on and off line, I frequently hear the often repeated comment that Blacks.."U.S" ones that is , have no tradition of entrepreneurship or sense of community, that model minorities , including Asians,Caribbeans and Africans are able to make a dollar from a dime after a brief plane ride, that they do not have a history of pulling together , they will look at the conditions many poor Black communities are in and wonder how on earth such communities stagnate, First off there are in fact longstanding successful AA communities that non talked about because it's boring, nothing to see here, no drive bys and gangs, in fact life is rather uneventful, so how do one explain those other communities that people love to get excited about.

In the beginning.

After mass emancipation many Blacks took to the road in one of the most massive internal migration in U.S history, from the agricultural south to the industrialized northeast in the early to mid-twentieth century, others stayed in the South , along the way some stopped and formed largely self sufficient communities, they pooled their resources and employed each other, they set up banks, insurance companies, Law firms, hotels etc, this was more of a necessity than ideas concerning "Race" , because banks rarely lend money to Blacks or insured them, but I am sure some pride came from the fact that they had their own.

Greenwood is a neighborhood in Tulsa, Oklahoma. As one of the most successful and wealthiest black communities in the United States during the early 20th Century, it was popularly known as America's "Black Wall Street" until the Tulsa race riot of 1921, in which white residents massacred black residents and razed the neighborhood within hours. The riot was one of the most devastating massacres in the history of U.S. race relations, destroying the once thriving Greenwood community. Within five years after the massacre, surviving residents who chose to remain in Tulsa rebuilt much of the district. They accomplished this despite the opposition of many white Tulsa political and business leaders and punitive rezoning laws enacted to prevent reconstruction.
en.wikipedia.org...

Incidence like the above was to be repeated throughout the United States where ever successful and largely independent Black communities sprang up.
To be cont.

Great OP!! The number of replys says a lot about the state of ATS.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: faithhill
I was working with writecustomessay.com... on my history essay. My topic was about ancient towns, and after I found a lot of additional information so I'm thinking about making it my graduation topic. Do you think there's enough on Africa out there?

Hi Faithhill the info is there but knowledge about the info maybe lacking , this may thread may interest you.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Good luckon your essay..

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Good story.

I dont know if JG Hamilton the "Prince of Darkness" is a good example to hold up tho......
He was charged with producing counterfiet money in Haiti (5000$ quite a lot then)...was sentenced to hang, escaped and ended up fleecing New Yorkers after the great fire of the mid 1800s.....but anyways, hes made a heap o money.....

I wonder if he's related to Lewis Hamilton

Just a question if any one really knows.....

When did the Black slaves of Africa, taken to the "Plantations" loose their African Names?

I understand all the black "Washingtons" in the US got their name from ol George, who owned lots of slaves, is that how all the other Africans got their names? Patterson, Hamilton etc etc......Not really African names.......

Neither is Nordberg.....

Sad really, they lost their culture...... why dont current black Americans find a nice African name and change to it?
Mr Ngopoppo, Ms Shakaraka....etc.
Shame they changed to white man names.....

edit on 13-12-2016 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I love how this thread, the most inactive thread, is heavily moderated.

Unreal.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: gort51
The enslaved Africans didn't simply gave-up their names to adopt European names of their oppressors, they were forbidden to use their African names, language and culture was also discouraged under the penalty of severe punishments, and yes a lot of AAs got their last names from Washington being a descendant of one of his slaves or not, but AA naming practices deserve it's own thread, as the process is one of evolution, there are millions of AAs who adopt African names or African sounding names to try and make a conscious connect to their one of their ancestral continent namely Africa..and culture is not entirely lost, because American pop culture which is adapted world wide is largely a by product of African culture repackaged by AAs from Gospel ,Jazz , blues through Rock & roll, R&B, calypso , merengue,Salsa, Reggae,Samba, Hiphop, Zuka etc, not to mention food ,fashion and even the spoken word, our concept of cool is deep in African derived culture, my goodness the quilt culture is steep in African symbolism and graphic arts.
But alas this s not the thread for that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join