It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libertarians for Trump could be a game changer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
...but what excuse do the Libertarians have for not drafting Rand Paul?

I personally do not find him to be as much a Libertarian as his old man.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

There just wasn't interest in him this year. (Paul).

I was honestly excited about non-politicians like Carson and Trump.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

...but what excuse do the Libertarians have for not drafting Rand Paul?

I personally do not find him to be as much a Libertarian as his old man.

True, but he has name recognition, and even I would rather vote for him than Trump or Sanders. (I like the idea of radical health care reform, but it would never get funded by Congress. Educational reform has a better chance, but it will result in European-style tracking, which I don't have a problem with, but it is the opposite of what Sanders' supporters are dreaming of.)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: whyamIhere
The simple fact that (so far) Trump hasn't been bought.

That's progress to me.

Who can save us from a 20 Trillion dollar deficit?

Nobody, might as well let Trump try.

Not been bought? You don't think so. That man has 600 ways to hide money and people like us probably know 6 of them.

So how do you know? Lol

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Every mainstream candidate is as far from libertarian as can be.

I'm just gonna sit back and watch the chaos.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I am in libertarian circles, looks about 1/3 for trump, 1/4 for cruz, the rest say they are going to sit this one out or g. johnson.

Burning it down may be a good enough reason alone. libertarians are well aware of the shenanigans the RNC pulled. Ron Paul voters/delegates were very well read in roberts rules and used them to the best of their abilities. The establishment broke all sorts of rules to subvert the rules they were supposed to follow.

The media also would blackout ron paul on tv polling or mispell name or wrong picture. There is a whole montage of this online. They did it to Rand to lesser extent. Ron Paul's name was not even allowed to be said at the national RNC convention. libertarians did not forget.

I think a second reason to vote for him will be a cultural change, where white people will be silent no more. and will no longer have to carry this white guilt burden.

This is Yuuge cultural blowback that should have been anticipated. Trump will win if he can escape a brokered convention, and then european citizens emboldened will follow.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
It would be hard to find two more unlikable human beings than Hilary and Trump.

Here's a baker's dozen:
1. Al Gore
2. John Kerry
3. Paul Ryan
4. John Boehner
5. Chris Fatty Christie
6. Li'l Marco
7. Michele 0bama
8. Valerie Jarrett
9. Chuck Schumer
10. Dianne Feinstein
11. Mitt Romney
12. John McCain
13. Paul Ryan (because he deserves to be listed twice)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

You left out all the Kardashians!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001
Why in the world would they draft Rand? He's no Ron. Besides they already have candidates including Gary Johnson.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: Wardaddy454

We have plenty of nukes. Russia isn't looking to start a nuclear war. NoKo on the other hand... and funny enough Russia is trying to reel them in because of their rhetoric.

Tactical nukes are part of Russia's war doctrine. The Cuban Missile Crisis almost became WW3 because a Russian sub almost launched a nuclear torpedo at a US carrier. Their nuclear doctrine is taking an alarming step backwards towards these types of weapons.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

I've been trying to convince people to at least look into the Green Party and the Libertarian Party. Both of them have actual party platforms and will be fielding their own candidates for President.

But I'm becoming more and more convinced that a lot of "libertarians" only call themselves that as a fad. Otherwise they'd support the actual Libertarian candidates. I'm also convinced that many "progressives" are only progressive on a few issues. Otherwise they wouldn't be supporting the center-right Democrats instead of the actual progressive, left wing Green Party.

That, or people would rather support a corrupt person that may win instead of supporting someone they agree with who's likely to lose. They could also just be voting against someone, hoping to at least prevent the "greater evil" from defeating the "lesser evil". Meh.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I have been supporting likely losers the last 3 cycles.

Think most of americans have some leaning in the direction of all parties. i know I don't fit in anyone's box and that is part of the major parties problem. The candidates have to tow the party line. Leaves a large majority of us out.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

Mr. Trump has Never held Public Office , he is an affluent Man beholden to no one . Is it no Wonder that he appeals to a wide range of people who have for Decades been Lied to by Career Politicians , and now have an opportunity in a Mr. Donald S. Trump to have their Voices Heard and taken Seriously for once by the Federal Government in Washington if he somehow becomes our Next President ? It's All about Timing , and the Timing is Right even for Libertarians it seems .

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit
Absolutely the timing is right even on the Democratic side.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I agree with you insofar as most "Libertarians" are beginning to show their true colors by supporting a candidate who advocates mercantilism over free trade, and authoritarianism over democracy. I disagree with your characterization of the Greens as being "progressive," however. Many of their platforms are actually Neo-Luddite, which is the opposite of progressive.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I agree with you insofar as most "Libertarians" are beginning to show their true colors by supporting a candidate who advocates mercantilism over free trade, and authoritarianism over democracy. I disagree with your characterization of the Greens as being "progressive," however. Many of their platforms are actually Neo-Luddite, which is the opposite of progressive.

I know we're not technically supposed to make posts in admiration, but allow me to say just this once that your analysis here (as usual) is spot-on, accurate, insightful and demonstrates a knowledge base far superior to the garden-variety we all too often see.

Bravo.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: liveandlearn

Mr. Trump has Never held Public Office , he is an affluent Man beholden to no one . Is it no Wonder that he appeals to a wide range of people who have for Decades been Lied to by Career Politicians , and now have an opportunity in a Mr. Donald S. Trump to have their Voices Heard and taken Seriously for once by the Federal Government in Washington if he somehow becomes our Next President ? It's All about Timing , and the Timing is Right even for Libertarians it seems .

Trump hardly appeals to a "wide range" of people ... every poll that has asked the question shows that his approval disapproval split is around 30%/70%.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: whyamIhere

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: whyamIhere

He claims he isn't bought but for a guy who specializes in getting other people to invest in him I find it hard to believe this is case all the sudden. But let's say it's all true and he isn't bought what's to stop him from going back to bizness which most definitely includes the exchange of monies and favors. You really think Trump is gonna bring you a corruption free administration? No scandles? If you think the Obama and Hillary scandles were big news just you wait until president Trump makes headlines!

The guy admits himself he buys politicians. He plays the game and he's not gonna fix a damn thing. He's gonna break it and let America file for bankruptcy as he leaves office.

Time to wake up.

Obama used the IRS to get elected.

NO.

Yeah, Romney helped too

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I agree. I've seen lots of people say they supported Ron Paul but now they are for Bernie Sanders. That's about as complete opposite as you can get. It makes no sense unless you realize they were probably never Libertarian in the 1st place. Same goes for Libertarians for Trump.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

that same poll found that 41 percent of libertarians believe that the government should regulate business, 46 percent of libertarians believe that corporations make too much profit, and 38 percent of libertarians believe that government aid to the poor is a good thing.

42 percent believe that police should be able to stop and search people who "look like criminals," and 26 percent think "homosexuality should be discouraged."

Basically, people in America who call themselves libertarians have absolutely no idea what libertarianism is really about.

But the Libertarian Party 1980 platform on which one of the Koch Brothers ran as VP spells out exactly what they want, for ex

"urge the repeal of federal campaign finance laws, and the immediate abolition of the despotic Federal Election Commission."

In other words, they want to make it as easy as possible for corporations and wealthy billionaires to flood our democracy with corruptive cash and buy even more politicians.

"favor the abolition of Medicare and Medicaid programs."

Instead, they want to privatize healthcare in America, so that their billionaire friends in the healthcare industry can get even richer, while working-class Americans are getting sicker and sicker.

In fact, a 2012 analysis by Citigroup found that insurance company stocks would skyrocket if Medicare alone were to be privatized.

And Big Pharma would experience a revenue and profit boom, too.

"favor the repeal" of an "increasingly oppressive" Social Security system.

They want to abolish Social Security, screw over working-class Americans, and take all the money that would go towards Social Security and invest it in Wall Street, so that their wallets can get even bigger.

There's over $2.5 trillion sitting in the Social Security Trust Fund right now.

Imagine how much money the libertarian banksters could make skimming even a fraction of a percent off the top of that every year.

Similarly, because libertarians want to hold on to their money and get even richer, they also "oppose all personal and corporate income taxation, including capital gains taxes."

"all criminal and civil sanctions against tax evasion should be terminated immediately."

... in 2010, tax evasion cost the federal government $305 billion. Imagine what America could have done with that $305 billion.

But, if you're rich, you shouldn't have to pay any taxes under libertarianism.

"the ability of any person to find employment, such as minimum wage laws."

"complete separation of education and the state" and think that "government ownership, operation, regulation, and subsidy of schools and colleges should be ended."

Who cares about Thomas Jefferson and the University of Virginia, or Abraham Lincoln's land-grant colleges?

libertarians want to abolish the Environmental Protection Agency.

After all, pollution can be so profitable. And who cares if a few million people get asthma or die of cancer? They're not rich people! Screw them.

the 1980 platform makes it clear that libertarians also want to get rid of the Department of Energy, and close down any government agency that's involved in transportation.

No more standards for our roads, no more standards for our railways, no more standards for our airlines. Turn it all over to the billionaires. They can run it all and make a buck while they're at it!

And libertarians want to privatize our public highways and turn them all into toll roads too.

So, if you want to drive to work you have to pay the Koch brothers!

do away with the Food and Drug Administration and the safety standards that agency imposes, so that Big Pharma and Big Ag can make even more money, while you and I are forced to deal with the consequences.

Billionaires don't have to worry if their food is safe. They can own their own farmland, and hire their own cheap labor to work it!

Along those same lines, the 1980 platform says that libertarians want to get rid of the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

After all, if a kid is choking to death on some badly made cheapo toy, it's almost certain that it's a poor or working-class kid. One less moocher!

repeal of the Occupational Safety and Health Act.

Workers don't need protections. Employers can just be trusted to keep their employees who are working for minimum wage safe.

And, while it wasn't explicitly in the 1980 platform, who can forget that libertarians are also opposed to the Title II of the Civil Rights Act which, "prohibits discrimination because of race, color, religion, or national origin in certain places of public accommodation, such as hotels, restaurants, and places of entertainment."

To add insult to injury, they're also opposed to Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, which prohibits employers from discriminating based on race, color, religion, sex and nationality. Who needs civil rights anyway?

source

I think that last statement defines why some citizens of the old Civil War Confederate states find a home in the Libertarian Party.

The Koch Brothers and their secretive Dark Money spent in think tanks and media for decades brainwashed Americans with their propaganda and engineered the takeover of the GOP. Their far right extremist ideology is now mainstream thought and action for Republicans.

Their agenda, afterall, has always been to "shrink government to the size where we can drown it in a bathtub". Yeah, get rid of the only firewall between citizens and corporate greed. I am not against corporations; I am against corporations running unrestrained and amok.

The closest GOP candidate for Libertarians would be Ted Cruz. Unless you're the Civil Rights Act type.... then it's Trump.

new topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join