It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reports of Strong 'gas smell' coming from “OFF THE COAST" Westcoast

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

A comment from your linky:

I wish that one of the Daily Pilot or LA Times reporters would do some research on this. The section of West Newport where these odors occurred are literally next door to a 70 year old active oil field. Until 1998 the land under the 600+ homes in the area were only available under a 99 year lease from the city, based on the fact that the entire Newport Shores development was the result of a 1950's pollution settlement (with the ground under these homes considered to be too contaminated to sold to anyone. The construction of an "Olympic" size swimming pool and recreation center were also included in the settlement. At least once a month the oil field releases substances into the surrounding canal that literally no one knows exactly what they are or what they contain. The City seems to turn a blind eye to the oil field activities, I assume, based on the fact that its serves as a significant tax base and is also in the process of being converted into a major condominium, hotel and shopping center development. The idea that this horrendous odor came from an offshore oil rig over 9 miles away is utterly ridiculous. Considering dissipation, if what the fire chief said is true, the oil rig workers would have been effected and probably dead

interesting....

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmybob
Wow, what an awesome sat link!! I Luv it! Thank you so much for providing it!! I've been playing with it and wow-mind boggling. You're right-China is off the rails.

a reply to: crappiekat
Now as to crappiekat's LA times link, in lieu of what's been said above

Hydrogen Sulphide / Sulfide ha s a very characteristic smell, like rotten eggs. But it does affect the olfactory sense and after a while a person can no longer smell it...... One reason it's so dangerous is because if people are exposed to it and don't know about its effects on their sense of smell, they can wrongly believe the gas has gone away, when the opposite may be true.

this quote from the LA Times article is especially worrisome

Newport police issued a statement Thursday afternoon saying the odor did not pose a public safety threat. The smell reportedly had dissipated by 6:30 p.m.

not to mention the Porter Ranch gas leak in Aliso Canyon incident mentioned in the article and in ref to the "interesting" catch from the comment section by Phatdamage above.

Scary indeed. Ya'll be careful and keep us up to date on what's happening.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamfox1

Live on the an island off of north west Scotland. My home is surrounded on three sides by the sea. Funny thing the night before when i was going to sleep there was a strong smell of hydrogen sulphide in the air. I know its miles away from where it is being reported another ocean infact. But I found it strange.

In all the time I have live here i have smelt many ocean smells but never a smell like that.

<< 1  2   >>

join