It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Congressman Says Elizabeth Warren Needs To Be ‘Neutered’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Okay, this is my last post of the day. Was just perusing the web and found this gem:

GOP Congressman Says Elizabeth Warren Needs To Be ‘Neutered’
Subtitle:

Because she is the “Darth Vader of the financial services world.”

Really? Freaking Missouri legislators.....I tell ya.....nearly as bad as Kansas (but not quite; and both states had great voter turnouts and showings for Bernie! Oh happy days!).

A Republican congressman on the House Committee on Financial Services thinks Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), one of the most vocal advocates for Wall Street reform, needs to be “neutered.”

Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer (R-Mo.) made the comments during a panel discussion at an American Bankers Association conference Wednesday. According to Politico, Luetkemeyer said people needed to “find a way to neuter” Warren, whom he called the “Darth Vader of the financial services world.”

Here's what a colleague of his said about him:
(Note the colleague is from friendly, beautiful, successful Colorado):

Rep. Ed Perlmutter (D-Colo.), who was also on the panel, criticized the comments, saying Warren “speaks for a lot of people,” according to Politico.

“Senator Warren speaks for a lot of people who are frustrated and angry with the financial system. Regardless of politics or personalities, we must treat one another with civility and respect. Words matter – particularly in today’s political climate,” Perlmutter said in a follow-up statement. “And the words used yesterday by Representative Luetkemeyer do not help find solutions but only drive wedges.”

Gah.
Just - huge sigh, and so forth and so on.....

the best bit?: Warren was unfazed.....

“Look, if Wall Street and their buddies in the Republican party want to launch an assault on financial regulations and they want to say ‘let’s roll back Dodd-Frank’ all I can say is ‘let’s have that fight,’” she said. “I’m ready. You can make it with words or anything else you want, but I am not backing down.”

GO LIZ!!!!

Hate to post and dash, but - I gotta go to bed now.....let me know what you guys think! I'll be back in the morning....

edit on 3/17/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Gods, I wish had had ran in this election. Hopefully she takes on the VP position if it is offered to her. Then she can neuter Mr. Luetkemeyer.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Words matter – particularly in today’s political climate,”

No they don't.

Warren was unfazed.....

Exactly.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Warren is female.

The correct term is "spayed".

Males are "neutered".

The GOP are stupid if they don't know the difference.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Warren is female.

The correct term is "spayed".

Males are "neutered".

The GOP are stupid if they don't know the difference.

Actually neutering is acceptable as a term for a procedure for females as well

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

I did not know that.

Hahahahaha

A thread on Warren actually taught me something!

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Can you find an actual quote? You can use the word neuter in the same sense as neutralize, which would be much less inflammatory. I'm not saying he didn't say it in a sexist manner, I've just seen both Republicans and Democrats frequently take a word or two out of context to generate mock outrage. I'm just curious which it is in this case -- if you see a direct quote, would you link it because I can't find one so far.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Wait... so the GOP is smart?

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

He meant politically not physically, however, the way you spun certainly makes it sounds more extreme. I don't think he chose the best words, especially given how he should have known emotional left-wingers would take it out of context, but that is the only thing he did that was questionable.

Elizabeth Warren is a terrible excuse for a Senator.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I didn't "spin it", I posted an article. The man said that, according to Politico....
And I did not mention the sexism that could be inferred from it.

But beside that, what could you possibly have against Warren and holding Wall Street's feet to the fire?
What is the problem?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

HAHA! Did you see her reply to the Congressman?

According to Politico, Luetkemeyer said people needed to “find a way to neuter” Warren, whom he called the "Darth Vader of the financial services world."

Latching on to the Star Wars reference, she responded:

"My first thought was Really? I've always seen myself more as a Princess Leia-type (as a senator and Resistance general who, unlike the guys, is never even remotely tempted by the dark side). Clearly the Force is not strong with Congressman Luetkemeyer (maybe he's a Trekkie)."

LOL
edit on 18-3-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I loved her reply! And she nails what is really the problem....

"This is all about money,” .... “Congressman Luetkemeyer was on a panel about the ‘changing political landscape’ in a room full of Wall Street bankers –powerful people who have been working for years to roll back financial reform.

This is all about extremist right wing propaganda spewed for years to brainwash Americans, that if they just get rid of government all will be well.

Out of an interest in protecting Wall Street from new regulations following the 2008 financial crisis, the Koch brothers-funded Americans for Prosperity opposed the Dodd Frank Act from its inception. Once it became law in 2010, AFP then encouraged members of Congress to vote in favor of subsequent efforts to repeal the measure.

Wall Street Reform

BTW Luetkemeyer has been helped and supported by the Koch dark money organization, Americans for Prosperity. The Koch and AFP etal help only Republicans (oh, wait, there was one conservative Dem they helped
) Scratch a Republican, and Koch blood money influence spills from their veins).

The Koch's have been like zombies for decades now. They used their money to feed off and influence conservatives, who in turn feed off other conservatives ad infinitum, until they control the GOP. They want to weaken and get rid of the federal govt, so there is no firewall to keep the worst of capitalism from making America decline further. So far, they are winning, ad We the People are losing.

There's a reason that Elizabeth fled the GOP years ago.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

There's a reason that Elizabeth fled the GOP years ago.

There are three reasons: Brains, morals, and strength.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Isn't that great?

I loved how she said she's not backing down.
D-bag mysoginist said this when he was speaking to the "American Bankers Association".......
O_o

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

D-bag mysoginist said this

Maybe I'm inferring wrong...

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

D-bag mysoginist said this

Maybe I'm inferring wrong...

I only mentioned that AFTER Metallicus pointed it out. In the OP I did NOT make a big deal out of it. Others did, and then accused me of 'spinning' it.

I did not spin it, at all - I used the article title and their words. But if I'm going to be accused of "spinning it" and pointing out the sexism, then well, okay - YEAH, THAT WAS THERE, TOO!!!

BUT I DID NOT BRING IT UP.
I am addressing the statements of the R-MO Lugkeknenbbauwn ahole, that anyone trying to investigate (and it could be Warren or it could be Bernie or it could be the SCOTUS or the FBI, CIA, et al) should be "neutered". That is what I am addressing.

You all turned the thread from the original point into the mysoginist thing -
YOU! You MEN did that.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I did not spin it, at all - I used the article title and their words. But if I'm going to be accused of "spinning it" and pointing out the sexism, then well, okay - YEAH, THAT WAS THERE, TOO!!!

BUT I DID NOT BRING IT UP.
I am addressing the statements of the R-MO Lugkeknenbbauwn ahole, that anyone trying to investigate (and it could be Warren or it could be Bernie or it could be the SCOTUS or the FBI, CIA, et al) should be "neutered". That is what I am addressing.

You all turned the thread from the original point into the mysoginist thing -
YOU! You MEN did that.

I'm actually for Wall Street reform or regulation. I'm also for not labeling strangers sexists, racists, or other unseemly -ists without real reason. I'm just trying to decide how this comment was sexist before we label it sexist. I still haven't found a quote of the full sentence even. As I've said "neuter" can be used synonymous as "neutralize", which would make it the broad sort of statement that I disagree with, but not sexist as implied by the article (and you in this post).

If we can all dialogue without calling eachother sexists, racists, and "Darth Vaders", it'd probably be an easier go to get things done and find mutual ground among eachother (I have high in the sky, apple pie hopes).

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

I'm just trying to decide how this comment was sexist before we label it sexist.

See? That's what I'm saying!
The others on the thread took that tangent. It was enough for me that a guy speaking to the ABA said that whoever wants to audit the fed or investigate regulatory outcomes "should be neutered."

I did try to find a sound-byte or a vid of him saying it - and failed - but there were multiple sources who cited it.

Again - it was the partisan sniping that bothered me - the special-interests 'hot mic' moment.......

just like I want to see the transcripts of Hillary's Goldman Sachs speaking windfalls.......

It doesn't matter to me that Warren is female or male - it matters that the opposing party and their owners/handlers are persons who want to "neuter" the opponent. As far from 'diplomacy' and 'democracy' as one can get.

IMHO. YMMV.
edit on 3/18/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Here. Let me re-write that article's headline. ...type type type.... there...

REPUBLICAN CONGRESSMAN WANTS TO SEE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT NEUTERED

They want to repeal every major piece of legislation that has been signed into law over the past 80 years that has protected the middle class, the elderly, the children, the sick and the most vulnerable in this country. Every piece of legislation!

The truth is that the agenda of the Koch brothers [and their conservative/Republican/Libertarian minions] is to move this country from a democratic society with a strong middle class to an oligarchic form of society in which the economic and political life of the nation are controlled by a handful of billionaire families.

Our great nation must not be hijacked by right-wing billionaires like the Koch brothers.

For the sake of our children and our grandchildren, we must fight back.

Only a strong wave of Blue will turn the tide.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

You all turned the thread from the original point into the mysoginist thing - YOU! You MEN did that.

As of late I notice a lot of threads are devolving - and on the surface it appears that comprehension is at an all time low,
whether this is because of myopia or genuine misunderstanding or vested interest...?

Maybe people are lashing out due to problems at work, relationships o the economy, and their world is falling apart? Not really excusable and one hopes its only a temporary aberration.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join