It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YES! SeaWorld to End All Orca Breeding!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
FINALLY!!!!!!!!

What a huge win!

After years of resistance, SeaWorld is finally letting go of its killer whale program and ending the breeding of its 29 orcas! This will be the LAST generation of killer whales to EVER be stuck in SeaWorld's tanks.

This day was inevitable - both their attendance and stock price have plummeted in recent years due to public pressure. This is why we make films like The Cove and Racing Extinction – films spark movements, and movements can change the world.

(an email I had just received from the Oceanic Preservation Society)

For those of you that haven't seen the documentary "Black Fish", it covers the horrible actions that are seen within SeaWorld. The Documentary is quite graphic, so just a warning, but it was available on Netflix a while back.

This marks an incredible success in the campaign to stop the inhumane captivity of these animals.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Now if only zoos would follow suit. I've been to a small zoo not too far from my house and the animals look so miserable. Maybe 1 or 2 birds isolated in tiny cages, same goes for the other animals. It's inhumane and I refuse to visit any more zoos. How would we like being stuck in a cage 24/7? Oh yeah, we call that prison.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Not sure to go with this

or this....

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Might be soon that the only animals left are the ones in zoos.

Sad fact but a big reason I don't feel the same about zoos is because they do a lot to conserve what's left of the dying populations of animals. Due to poaching and habitat reduction, etc.

But sea world? Yeah, # em.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

they kept them for as long as they were profitable... Great to see the change, but I wouldn't give them any humanitarian credit.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Infinitis

they kept them for as long as they were profitable... Great to see the change, but I wouldn't give them any humanitarian credit.

Oh, I do not at all give them any humanitarian credit what so ever. They are psychopathic, money hungry, pieces of crap.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Bout time. Just leave the animals alone already

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
This makes me feel better.

I've always felt that IF people wish to experience the privilege of seeing these or other creatures up close, then there should be minimally intrusive guided tours of large, sprawling conservationism habitats that mimic the freedom of their natural environments, and provide only a space for threatened or sick animals to be protected rather than subsisting purely for human entertainment. The proceeds could then go toward further conservation efforts. And the tours should include education for visitors about why the animals are threatened in the first place.

I would love to visit such a place, and for zoos to be replaced by them. But of course, it would require substantial land set aside compared to what is currently allotted to zoos and the like, which... sadly seems to be less than forthcoming in many places.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
It's pretty pathetic when you can tell a whale is miserable because it's ENTIRE FIN is sad looking. Dude, that's like ... beyond a cry for help.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Now if only zoos would follow suit. I've been to a small zoo not too far from my house and the animals look so miserable. Maybe 1 or 2 birds isolated in tiny cages, same goes for the other animals. It's inhumane and I refuse to visit any more zoos. How would we like being stuck in a cage 24/7? Oh yeah, we call that prison.

Zoo's are hit and miss, but most of them do try to make things better for the animals. Sea World is a bit different, they're not preserving endangered species, they're just sticking fish in a tank.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Good. It's 2016 and we really should not be making intelligent animals perform for our entertainment any more.

I'm not crazy about zoos either...but i will begrudgingly accept that they make kids interested in animals, some of who will go into zoology as a carreer. But i don't visit them and never will.

The seaworld news is great.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I 100% agree. i also hate your avatar.
Frickin weird.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Sorry don't see the hate... quick google shows sea world has saved somewhere north of 20000 animals, have bad choices been made I don't doubt... but to save animals requires money... that's just the cold hard fact of life.

For all the people sneering and talking down at sea world, have you ever known any of the people that take care of the animals?

I have, vast majority care more about those animals than they do themselves... yes in a perfect world we would all live in peace and harmony with nature with food and room for all...

Guess what its not a perfect world and on occasion you will find the last of a species in a zoo... or a place like sea world.

Just look at elephant and rhino populations in africa to get a good idea about their life expectancy as long as there is 1 culture that believes something from a species is special they will be hunted to extinction in the wild.

So before you get on your moral high horse and complain about sea world or zoo's have you donated your time and money to the non-profits that do similar things... if not your a hypocrite.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

We are talking about breeding the whales. Not saving animals. The last time I was at Sea World SD I saw many animals they saved. Mutilated by fishing nets or boat propellers. This kind of stuff is good.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Stngray

Sea World doesn't need to go away. The abuse of their Orcas is the problem. Have you seen the dog and cat show? They saved these guys from getting gassed, trained them, and made them happy. No doubt the trainers and handlers love these animals.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Sorry don't see the hate... quick google shows sea world has saved somewhere north of 20000 animals, have bad choices been made I don't doubt... but to save animals requires money... that's just the cold hard fact of life.

For such a massive industry, I would expect more.

I went to the Cayman Islands for a month on my own for conservation work of an endangered species in Grand Cayman. During the month that I was there we collected over 170 eggs of this endangered species which had a 95% hatch rate, instead of a 7% hatch rate in the wild (due to human activity). I managed to do that with less than $1000, and the population of that species has since grown over 300% since I was last there.

SeaWorld is in it for the money and the money only. 20,000 isn't at all a significant amount.

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
For all the people sneering and talking down at sea world, have you ever known any of the people that take care of the animals?

Yes, I have actually been in contact with a former trainer. Their experiences mirror that within the documentary BlackFish about SeaWorld and their Orca Program.

I have, vast majority care more about those animals than they do themselves... yes in a perfect world we would all live in peace and harmony with nature with food and room for all...

That's absolutely true! The people whom take case of these animals have an incredible attachment to them.

The problem is that the trainers aren't the park owners. He don't hold any anger towards the trainers or the caretakers, we hold it towards the company.

Guess what its not a perfect world and on occasion you will find the last of a species in a zoo... or a place like sea world.

No one is denying this

So before you get on your moral high horse and complain about sea world or zoo's have you donated your time and money to the non-profits that do similar things... if not your a hypocrite.

Yes, I have.

Many hours, many days, many months, and a lot of my own personal money.

I suggest you do a bit more research on the matter. And I Highly suggest watching the documentary BlackFish.

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but I would greatly like to hear your opinion on the matter after you watch BlackFish.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

You have then congratulations, you walk the walk... the vast majority I have met that get all angry and upset over sea world/zoos without ever actually lifting a finger to help, they do it because its the trendy thing to do... or they watch some hit piece on a local news station that has about 10 minutes worth of research don on it.

Once upon a time I worked for Bush gardens, I worked with the animal handlers every day... I wish we didn't need zoos... I wish things could be done without regard to money, but that is the world we live in today.

The problem with attacking them and reveling in the plunging stock prices is you also hurt the animal rescue, you hurt local jobs, you hurt a lot more people than they ones responsible for the bad decisions, which has an effect on the care of the animals they have .

me and my father used to volunteer to help the florida game commission,(rescuing animals, tracking them and on occasion moving the odd gator from a residential area) an organization that was vilified because their plan to save the florida panther resembled a zoo to some whack jobs.
They lost the court battle and those same whack jobs who brought in fricking mountain lions to breed with the panthers, so now instead of having the florida panther... we have a relative of the panther.

So please forgive me if I have a sour view of most organizations that attack zoo's and Sea world without taking into account the reality of the world we live in, I watched hope and dreams destroy an animal I loved.
edit on 18-3-2016 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
It's pretty pathetic when you can tell a whale is miserable because it's ENTIRE FIN is sad looking. Dude, that's like ... beyond a cry for help.

Although Blackfish was mostly a hit piece you are right.

Take one look at that dorsal fin and it's not even debatable.

I'm really happy they are ending the Killer Whale Shows.

I've never seen a bent F'in in the wild...

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

You have then congratulations, you walk the walk... the vast majority I have met that get all angry and upset over sea world/zoos without ever actually lifting a finger to help, they do it because its the trendy thing to do... or they watch some hit piece on a local news station that has about 10 minutes worth of research don on it.

I agree, most people don't go out of their way to make donations or to do conservation work. However, their positions aren't totally unfounded.

The problem with attacking them and reveling in the plunging stock prices is you also hurt the animal rescue, you hurt local jobs, you hurt a lot more people than they ones responsible for the bad decisions.

In the case of SeaWorld, I don't believe this is much of an issue, it's quite evident the people in charge care nothing about animals (by the people in charge I mean the businessmen).

The fact is, SeaWorld isn't a significant source of conservation or activism.

I once ate at a restaurant in Costa Rica which apparently sold a Sea Turtle dish. They breed their own turtles, which is certainly how it should be done, and stated that for every dish they sell they release a baby turtle into the wild to help the declining population.

The issue is that this is just a front, an image to appear like the paradox of eating a turtle thus releases one is actually beneficial. Sea Turtles have upwards of 70-190 eggs per clutch, and they do that because 10% of those eggs don't hatch, and out of the 90% that do, 1% survive until adult-hood.

Which means that their '1 dish for 1 free turtle' is really '1 dish for 1 turtle sacrifice'. It would not surprise me in the least, knowing what I do about SeaWorld, that SeaWorld only goes out of their way to save a handful of animals because it makes there image look good, and nothing more.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Just look at elephant and rhino populations in africa to get a good idea about their life expectancy as long as there is 1 culture that believes something from a species is special they will be hunted to extinction in the wild.

I'm sorry but what does any of this have to do with Orca breeding? And no one said anything about not helping rhinos and elephants and other animals in the wild ..just don't make them carry tourists or perform for them.

It's a pretty simple message.
Back on your high horse.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join