It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Kids these days... When WE were young...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:29 PM
a reply to: reldra
That version of political correctness may be a British thing. That might explain why you haven't come across it.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:42 PM
In the summer we rode our bikes everywhere, played tag, hide and seek, my mom would have to grab me by my shirt to get me back in the house.

In the winter, we would go to the outdoor rink and play till we froze in place, even then my mom would have to drag me and my brother home.

Oh good times

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:49 PM
a reply to: TNMockingbird

When I was younger we lived near a creek and a golf course so we spent a lot of time in those places.

Same here…there was a park, too and mountains nearby to climb.

We played with bow and arrow, pop guns, bb guns, lego toys, board games, kites, every form of ball game, hide n seek, tag, red light green light, rode bikes, stuff it, stick it, tackle, king of the hill, rubber band fights, water balloon fights, climbed trees, dug caves, explored sewers, creeks, collected ants, caterpillars, lizards, snakes, swam, swung, dove off hi places, slid down mountains on cardboard, got hi, got lo, and in all kinds of trouble…

amazing I survived all that somehow.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:50 PM
a reply to: Akragon

Our Aunt watched us when we were little and we spent a lot of time sitting in the dirt fishing for doodlebugs and crawdads.

When we were older we spent free time in the woods or in warmer weather in a creek, stock tank or river.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:52 PM
I mentioned this once already here.

One time my son wanted to change the TV channel and asked if he could? I said sure. He was about 5 at the time. He got up walked around the living room and then a few minutes later sat down all frustrated. I asked, whats the problem? He said he wanted to change the channel but couldn't find the remote!

In my day we didn't have a TV with a remote, We got off our butts and walked over to the TV and turned the knob. admittedly our TV was much newer and had buttons for channels and volumes. My son simply gave up and hadn't thought of any other way to change the channel. Luckily I found the remote in time to save the evening. When I was a kid, We wanted to play computer video games we had to know a bit of programming.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:53 PM
I had a Stingray bike I loved and rode everywhere. We stole one of my Mom's blankets regularly and hung it over the clothes line. Stretched it out on both sides and put bricks on the bottom to make a tent we played in all day. I'm a girl but was not into dolls or girly stuff and hung with the boys climbing trees, having chestnut fights, shooting marbles and raiding the neighbors gardens for rhubarb, played "kick the can", ball in the middle of the street and built go-Karts out of junk and rusty nails.

I dragged my little sister with me everywhere.

We had no electronics and if you walked through the room while Dad was watching tv, you were told to change the channel for him. We were outside from sun up to sun down and a special day was spent at the beach playing with crayfish and burying each other in the sand.

Some kids would be bored to death without lots of toys and stuff but we made our own fun using our imagination and a lot of stuff tossed in the trash became our "toys". Our parents would inevitably find a stash of "building materials" from time to time.

We only watched PBS educational shows and Saturday morning cartoons. One a year I watched The Wizard of Oz and The Yearling, otherwise no tv. Too busy outside. In winter we would get six or so of us together and have marathon Monopoly games, or card games that lasted all day and continued into the next days if we could get an older sibling to "guard" our places so nobody could cheat! Lots of board games and made things like Shrinky Dinks or Creepy Crawlers with the boys when the weather was bad and we were tired of making snow caves.

I remember one time cleaning the boys' room all day while listening to Wings' Venus and Mars, Pink Floyd, Rocky Horror Picture Show sound track and finding about ten bucks in pennies which we blew at the penny candy store the next day.

Every night my Mom would stick us in the bathtub and moan that girls could get so filthy. Would not have wanted to grow up any other way, had so much fun and had great neighbor kids who were like family. If I could go back for one day, I would. Thanks for sparking some great memories!

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:55 PM
I spent every day of the entire summer holiday one year outside with my friends.. exploring woods, building camps, fishing and riding our bikes..building ramps and stuff, skateboarding etc.

Another year I would go to my girlfriend's house and stand under her window chatting all day. I'd make her cards with care bears on them and put them under the doormat with chocolates I'd snuck out of my mum's cupboard haha. When her parents went out her babysitter would let me come into the garden and sit on the swing chair holding hands with her. Man she was awesome, I was devastated when she moved away hahaha.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:58 PM
Way back when, in the early 2000s lol, besides playing video games all the time, I liked to tape small light weight toys to large bottle rockets if you could get em, hit a baseball back and forth, golf ball back and forth, tressprass in abandoned buildings when a little older etc.

You gotta keep that even when older, go hiking in crazy places, seek to do things that will be good stories, and just live with purpose, spread a message.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:00 PM
Funny no one mentioned the records we had....

Remember those black things with the hole in the middle that played music..

I had a few boxes of 45's... And a good stack of the full sized... Mostly scratched all to hell except the few favorites i treated like gold.

I'd always eventually get bored of the occasional disk... They make the best frizbie's ever

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:09 PM
Evel Knievel Stunt bike (the little rev-up one).

Building tree forts (I also remember a nail going through my friends foot cause he jumped down on a plank with a nail sticking out).

Always wanted Pong and Atari, wasn't allowed to have them. Parents thought they promoted laziness.

My Huffy bike & making trails & jumps in the woods.

Throwing crab apples at cars (this was obviously not cool in retrospect and I would be pissed at a kid that did this to me now). At the time it was incredibly fun and felt dangerous. I totally remember being chased by people jumping out of their cars. Yikes.

Going to the neighborhood pool and playing Marco Polo.

Freeze tag. TV tag.

I remember the first time my dad took us on a 'Snipe hunt'. I later did the same thing to kids when I was a teen.

Hitting golf balls into the woods with a wooden bat (also learned this from my dad).

Big Wheels races down hills.

Building elaborate bobsled type runs complete with berms and all in winter.

Legos. Silly putty. Slinky. Micronauts (almost forgot about these weird little action figures that crept in for a hot minute).

A lot of dangerous stuff that was not smart. Train dodging. Hitch hiking for the fun of it. Knocking on doors & running. Putting weird stuff in people's mailboxes. etc.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:11 PM

originally posted by: Akragon
Funny no one mentioned the records we had....

How about the 78s with the old folks music on them although as I've grown older some of the big bands sound kind of good.

One of our neighbors had a player piano with lots of scrolls that was fascinating at the time.

I know I still have a record player somewhere, a couple of milk crates of lps and a few 45s too.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:19 PM

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Played with green plastic soldiers, the flame thrower guy would elicit an Ohio blue tip match melting of another soldier, the melted plastic scar on my left middle finger still attests to this.

I forgot all about them, thanks! Brings back memories. Wasn't there also one with a parachute(just a plastic bag on wires) if i remember well.

We didn't had television or telephone until the age of 10 so indoors we mostly played boardgames, puzzling, hand-puppet show,... (you know, the freaky sh!t)
Outdoors we spend a lot of time in the woods, at the beach, building castles and fortresses, playing with sticks and stones, rolling around in these big car tires, making own gol courses, chalk drawing in the middle of the streets, hula-hoop, and so many more i forgot all about them.

edit on 17-3-2016 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2016 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:31 PM

originally posted by: intrptr
got hi, got lo, and in all kinds of trouble
amazing I survived all that somehow.

It is amazing we survived those days isn't it?
When my "brother" came home from the military I was about 13-14...
He taught me about guns, rock n roll, hunting, smoking, drinking, and going away for long weekends all over the east coast!
That started my childhood #2...LOL
The beginning of my "gypsy days" and the end of naitevity.

The old man and I often muse that most kids, we know, today couldn't survive the way that we did.
Once, after my friends and I being out in the woods for days...we were so hungry. The first time I ever ate squirrel. BLEK!
But, darnit, I didn't want to go home! So squirrel it was! LOL I was probably about 14 or so...

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:37 PM
In the 1970's, I had the bucket'o'soldiers, a toy wooden fort, Matchbox series cars, Airfix models of the space shuttle and the Space 1999 transporter - the transfer stickers and painting were fun, and various other planes. Lego (loved playing with all those colored light bricks, cables, and transparent bricks with words). Also had those fun torches with colored filters. Loved to play with the shadows on the old Victorian staircase with a wrought iron handrail with spirals. Had all the annuals from the TV series like Dr Who, Magpie, Buck Rogers, the Guinness Book of Records as Christmas gifts. Had the Swingball in the garden as well as a go-kart.

In the Summer holidays, we would visit the amusement parks beside the beach as a family, go on walks along disused railway lines and the various beaches along the coast. My cousins lived on a farm and we would wake up to the sound of all the farm animals as well as sunlight streaming in through the windows.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:39 PM
We used to turn garbage bags into sleds and slide down hills. That was fun. One time some neighbor kids, my brother, and I tried to make quicksand by digging a huge hole and filling it with water. All we got was a mud pit. There was bike riding and seeing how close we could come to getting killed. Playing with fire was fun.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:46 PM
Part of the fun was going back to school with a plaster cast and getting everyone to sign it, broken bones were common. I saw kids fall off their bikes onto their skulls, scrape skin on concrete and get up laughing, fall out of trees, roll down hills and all kinds of other dangerous stuff that would cause a parent a heart attack and threaten a lawsuit these days.

I dread to think how the next generation will end up having been shielded from everything, it's sad really.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:59 PM

Everyday I would come home from school, hurry up and put on my sweats or jeans, jump on my bike and head for a school yard basketball court. When I arrived, there would be some of my friends and sometimes a group of guys we didn't even know, just shooting baskets. We would all just join in and pick-up basketball games. We would play until the sun went down. I made so many friends just at that basketball court. Nobody had a weight problem because we just burned off the calories having fun. I would go home drenched in sweat.

In the winter - we all went sled riding, built snow forts, dug tunnels under the snow, and had snowball fights.

Most young guys my age joined little league baseball. So many kids used to ride their bikes to the baseball field. There would literally be more chained up bikes than parked cars!

We also used to make our own fireworks using the heads of matches, paper, tape, and caps!

We also flew kites, played football, tennis, board games, and card games. We also went fishing and swimming at the local beaches.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 08:04 PM
These kids don't know a thing about filling a wiffle ball bat with wet newspapers to make them heavier.

These kids also don't know about playing suicide - before I'm given a warning - Link

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 09:14 PM
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

Find her?

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 09:18 PM
I used to play in the pool for so long, my Mother called me a mermaid. I used to like to play in the woods across the street, even though I wasn't allowed. My friends and I would spend hours pretending we were on another planet and discovering a whole new world. We would sit by the brook, look for salamanders and be on watch for snapping turtles. Though seeing them was rare, they were huge and you didn't want to run into one!

I hung out a lot with the boys and would play ball games and ride bikes. Once the guys built a fort in the woods for boys only and one of them let me in. My Brother who also hung out with us was mad as hell! LOL We had a tire hanging from a rope that we swung on in the woods too.

With the girls, we would play dolls and have tea parties on a real little china tea set, color in coloring books and have paper dolls and these vinyl sticker type things where you could put people or animals on the board with different back grounds. We did craft projects together. All the kids played board games or pretended we were the characters in Lost In Space or something. We all traded comic books and chewed the bubble gum that came with little comics inside the gum wrapper. Penny candy was a real treat. Sometimes you could get two or three pieces for a penny even. LOL

In the Winter we had sleds and slid down hills at the park, built snow forts and threw snowballs and made snowmen. We were always outside no matter what the season and had to be home when the street lights came on. Half the time, we were having so much fun, we didn't notice and would get in trouble because we came home late. And ever since I learned to read, I was hooked and have been reading ever since. I would sit on a swing in the yard and read for hours. We spent a lot of time at our local park that had crafts projects and games for the kids and contests and stuff.

It's sad to see little kids so addicted to electronics.
edit on 17-3-2016 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>