It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea sentences U.S. student to 15 years hard labor for taking a banner.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: frostie

He did commit a crime, in North Korea

He's not being punished because he stole a banner in America

He's being punished because he stole a banner in North Kore

American laws don't apply in North Korea (not yet anyway)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Everyone is calling this kid stupid and foolish, and I couldnt agree more.

For those of you without sympathy let me remind you,

College kids are stupid. College kids make mistakes.

THEYRE COLLEGE KIDS!

The kid never shoulda gone, never shoulda stole,

The kid shouldnt have to pay this price.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

"kid" He was a ADULT.

Responsible for his OWN mistakes.

Hell even at 16 I knew:

1) North Korea is a bad place to visit

2) Stealing is wrong.

Be be glad North Korea took a dumbass, not like the USA has a shortage of them.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I really am at a loss to what this student was thinking.

what did he think was going to happen?!?!?!?!?!

NK cannot let him off easy. If they did this could empower NK koreans to start doing the same.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Well two things that are funny to me...

1. Thinking you could get away with stealing from NK.

2. He did it for a friend at a church who wanted to hang it in that church.

The first one he should get 2 just for stupidity, as for the second one what church pushes you to steal from another country and what church would hang it in their church?

The moral of this story is don't be like Otto and steal from NK. as you can probably find whatever was on the item he took online...it's easier that way and you won't have to spend a 15 year stint in little Kim's beautiful criminal resorts.

(post by TechniXcality removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
The kid will probably eventually be released in exchange for some political concession from the U.S.But historically those wheels move pretty slow.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Let's get one thing really straight. The person was NOT A KID. He is 21 years old and in my book he is an adult.
What if he had got away with it? It would have gave him massive bragging rights when he got back home. Hell, he would probably been on national television bragging at how stupid NK is.
He aint a kid, he was an idiot for going there and he was a total idiot for doing what he did. Sorry, he's some mothers son but no sympathy here.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

Well two things that are funny to me...

1. Thinking you could get away with stealing from NK.

2. He did it for a friend at a church who wanted to hang it in that church.

The first one he should get 2 just for stupidity, as for the second one what church pushes you to steal from another country and what church would hang it in their church?

The moral of this story is don't be like Otto and steal from NK. as you can probably find whatever was on the item he took online...it's easier that way and you won't have to spend a 15 year stint in little Kim's beautiful criminal resorts.

Can you post a link to your source please?

I havnt read about that yet!

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
15 years hard labor in that country could be a death sentence. The odds of him surviving are not in his favor.
edit on 17-3-2016 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie
Everyone is calling this kid stupid and foolish, and I couldnt agree more.

For those of you without sympathy let me remind you,

College kids are stupid. College kids make mistakes.

THEYRE COLLEGE KIDS!

The kid never shoulda gone, never shoulda stole,

The kid shouldnt have to pay this price.

Why should we have sympathy for absolute stupidity

You don't need a college degree to know you don't screw about in North Korea, I'm actually surprised this kid was in college when he's so f#ing stupid

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Why should we have sympathy for absolute stupidity You don't need a college degree to know you don't screw about in North Korea, I'm actually surprised this kid was in college when he's so f#ing stupid

You should have sympathy for the stupid, because they are not as smart as you and I.

Because this kid well (Adult by law) did not process the full repercussions of his actions.

Do you have a teenage child? Dont be one of those dads who sets strict house rules but then is oblivious to real stupid

S# your kids do behind closed doors.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: crazyewok

And your true colors show once again, any chance to denounce American citizens and her government. Jesus Christ sometimes I have to take a break from you, make me want to start throwing punches.

If you go to a country that's openly hostile to America and its citizens and then play the role of Ugly American getting yourself thrown in the pokey, I don't really have much sympathy. I doubt he serves all 15 years, and while I think the punishment is egregious (much like kids spitting gum on the ground being caned in Singapore), I also think you have to obey the rules when you're abroad or don't at your own peril.

Also, take a break. Don 't throw punches at anyone. Especially over anything your read by us loons on this website.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Can you post a link to your source please?

Sure...

Before the trial, Warmbier had said he tried to steal a propaganda banner as a trophy for an acquaintance who wanted to hang it in her church. That would be grounds in North Korea for a subversion charge. He identified the church as Friendship United Methodist Church. Meshach Kanyion, pastor of the church in Wyoming, declined to comment Wednesday.

bigstory.ap.org...

For being in college he really is dumb.
edit on 17-3-2016 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Let's get one thing really straight. The person was NOT A KID. He is 21 years old and in my book he is an adult.
What if he had got away with it? It would have gave him massive bragging rights when he got back home. Hell, he would probably been on national television bragging at how stupid NK is.
He aint a kid, he was an idiot for going there and he was a total idiot for doing what he did. Sorry, he's some mothers son but no sympathy here.

Legally yes. Developmentally no.

Link

It may seem logical that those aged 18 to 25 are completely mature, the brain still is maturing – specifically the area known as the “prefrontal cortex.” Changes occurring between ages 18 and 25 are essentially a continued process of brain development that started during puberty. When you’re 18, you’re roughly halfway through the entire stage of development. The prefrontal cortex doesn’t have nearly the functional capacity at age 18 as it does at 25.

This means that some people may have major struggles with impulsive decisions and planning behavior to reach a goal. The brain’s reward system tends to reach a high level of activation during puberty, then gradually drifts back to normal activation when a person reaches roughly the age of 25.

Critical thinking skills, the same skills that would make a person not take such a foolish risk, are not fully there until about 25. That's why its so important that parents and authority figures in schools help young adults avoid making horrible mistakes like happened in this case.

Now anyone under 25 would argue otherwise, but fully mature older adults know better.

In this case its a shame no more mature adult intervened. Of course some never do develop good critical thinking skills.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Wow....

Off to the black hole of NK prisons, never to be seen again.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Sorry If I sounded like I didnt believe you or you wernt credible, lol.

Just wanted to read more,

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

Thanks to our current president, we look incredibly weak and wishy-washy, so punks like un feel like they can get away with crimes like this.

"Play stupid games; win stupid prizes." only counts on American soil then?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join