It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Don't Understand Death, Nobody Does!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: angryhulk

i understand death perfectly -i am currently alive - and at some unspecified point in the future i shall be dead

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

i understand death perfectly -i am currently alive - and at some unspecified point in the future i shall be dead

I understand it as you do, however we do not understand it perfectly. In my opinion, nobody does.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: ressiv
nothing lives forever... not even the universe......dark energy = live at least an state of conciense

Can you elaborate?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I agree with the author of this thread that our knowledge of death is somewhat limited. We know about the physical side of things, but not the non-physical.

The topic of dualism (mind-body problem) seems to be key to this thread — either you believe in some type of distinction between physical vessel/body and mind/consciousness or you believe they are one and the same.

While I cannot cite scientific evidence for my beliefs, I feel there is a distinction between mind and body — due mainly to a combination of intuition and rational thought.

edit on 18/3/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
I agree with the author of this thread that our knowledge of death is somewhat limited. We know about the physical side of things, but not the non-physical.

The topic of dualism (mind-body problem) seems to be key to this thread — either you believe in some type of distinction between physical vessel/body and mind/consciousness or you believe they are one and the same.

While I cannot cite scientific evidence for my beliefs, I feel there is a distinction between mind and body — due mainly to a combination of intuition and rational thought.

Agree with you 100%. If only I could star your post twice.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
If there is anything after death what's to say that you'll find it pleasing? A religious person could live their whole life doing what is "right" to get to Heaven only to die, get there and end up hating it. Now they're stuck there for eternity, Heaven becomes their Hell. Plus, I imagine it'll be pretty crowded by now and I'm not much of a people person.

I can't imagine anything after death that I wouldn't eventually get bored with so actually I hope there isn't anything after death.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skush
If there is anything after death what's to say that you'll find it pleasing? A religious person could live their whole life doing what is "right" to get to Heaven only to die, get there and end up hating it. Now they're stuck there for eternity, Heaven becomes their Hell. Plus, I imagine it'll be pretty crowded by now and I'm not much of a people person.

I can't imagine anything after death that I wouldn't eventually get bored with so actually I hope there isn't anything after death.

You know that feeling when you hear a song for the first time and you feel a deep connection to it? Then when you play it the subsequent 5 times you absolutely love it and think about it all the time? It's your new "favourite song"...until you play it 50 times and it becomes predicable and unsatisfying?

Well, imagine you could harness that feeling of having heard the song only 5 times perpetually. Like every experience is that way and you are always full of wonder and excitement.

Maybe Heaven will not be so bad after all?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Buddhism is not a religion but universal truth...at least that is what they claim and it makes sense however my personal views are there are some religious thoughts thrown in there.

In Tibet, they do not celebrate birthdays, but they do celebrate the day someone dies...as in each year after they die.

Reincarnation is regarded as an everyday matter of fact truth that is learned and accepted from birth just as the grass grows, flowers bloom, humans are reborn. I don't know how the western world got so off track.

I have compared many books I read on Buddhism and Reincarnation with my friend who is a psychic medium (she is catholic) and it ALL fits with the other side. Very very cool and makes death much less scary. Im not suicidal or anything, but excited to learn more when I die.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skush

Wow. So you're not really questioning the existence of some form of 'continuation' after death, you're just worried you hate it. That's interesting!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
Reincarnation is regarded as an everyday matter of fact truth that is learned and accepted from birth just as the grass grows, flowers bloom, humans are reborn. I don't know how the western world got so off track.

Very interesting! I don't know anything about Buddhism, thanks for sharing.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

yes, it is really amazing to me how separated we are on such basic things as life after death, on this small rock in this "dark voidness" : )

as far as purity goes I would agree with you there. There was much religious stuff added as their philosophy developed. But they started clean in my opinion. So if one wishes to truly learn about buddhisem I would recommend materials from mahayana or mahamudra traditions, for me they appear to be most pure... And they have more to do with psychology and the mind - than religion.

Also I would like to add, that not only humans, but everything is in a process of reincarnation for them. Animals, plants... everything that is "born" or alive...

Also for anyone interested in reincarnation and buddhisem, there is a nice old book, titled: Tibetan book of the dead

edit on 1458308205336March363363116 by UniFinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: UniFinity

I would start with the Tibetan book of living and dying by Sogyal Rinpoche before diving into the book of the dead. He even sort of wrote it as a preface.

The knowledge of the book of the dead can be...more detrimental than good... if you don't have the basic knowledge down first.

I'm even skeptical of owning a copy of the book of the dead, for now.

edit on 18-3-2016 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: UniFinity

Thanks for sharing mate. Will certainly look into a couple of things you have raised.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

You have my attention on the book of the dead, haha! More please.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: angryhulk
I understand it as you do, however we do not understand it perfectly. In my opinion, nobody does.

We don't understand anything perfectly. We are imperfect creatures who interact with our reality using a variety of even less perfect filters -- perception, body, language, etc.

Name something we DO understand perfectly.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

teehee, ive never read it, but its on my bucket list. I believe it goes into detail of what happens to you when you die and how the living can ease and help the dying and even aide after death. There are mantras, prayers, breathing, positions to lay, all this I gathered from Rinpoche's book.

The Christian ideology of heaven and hell are eerily held up (only not called that at all) thru-out Rinpoche's book.

Please don't be scared, its very reassuring to read it.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
It's all spending and recycling of energy, that's the whole meaning with life and it's evident everywhere.

I don't believe in a conscious state after death in any form.

I think that's unfortunate. I believe 'something' continues. Just ending our existence doesn't make sense to me.

with every religion telling their followers that there is life after death, and doing it for thousands of years, of course it doesn't make sense....thought, dreams, philosophy, etc...are all the product of chemical processes happening in the brain....once these processes end due to physical death, that's it.
as a side note....I'm still amazed that we, as a human beings, still believe in things that have no proof or evidence to their existence. this is in direct opposition to our logical and critical thinking skills, which by the way, is the true reason why we have kept the human population from becoming extinct, and not the belief in mythical beings.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

There IS proof, to those who see and talk with ghosts, spirits.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

a reply to: spygeek

Thanks for sharing mate. Like I said at the beginning, it's just an opinion and I'm essentially thinking out loud.

Yes I agree that death is the end to all biological life, however I guess I'm looking past that.

But looking past that, to what?

What else is there to death, besides the end of biological life?

What new alternative definition of death, or life, are you inventing here?

originally posted by: spygeek

Hullo there, some of us do understand death, some of us don't find it mysterious or inexplicable.. Some of us have beliefs based in reality..

spygeek, I know you are certain of your own beliefs, but remember, that's all they are.

They are beliefs based on what can be logically deduced from what we know.

Beliefs that are not based on what we actually know, that outrtight reject physical reality and instead have their basis in superstitions and assumptions about what we might imagine about what we can't or don't know, are not rational, logical, or realistic.

originally posted by: spygeek

originally posted by: 5StarOracle

All you have to do is die, to find out you didn't...
And won't you be surprised when you do...
Seeing as this would be impossible for the dead...

????

Wow, so deep. /snark

This is complete and utter nonsensical gibberish.. I can do it too..

No need for any of this mate. It's sharing of opinions, not a battle of words.

It is a battle for rational logic and reason, as far as I'm concerned. How is the following reasonable, logical or even relevant to my question regarding what his claim was based on?

"All you have to do is die, to find out you didn't...
And won't you be surprised when you do...
Seeing as this would be impossible for the dead..."

It simply does not make sense. It says nothing. It is incomprehensible.
It's not a statement of opinion, as it doesn't state anything. It's a self-refuting logical cul-de-sac.

How am I supposed to respond to something like this?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Why are you so angry?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join