It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Don't Understand Death, Nobody Does!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I don't understand death, in the classical sense.

Look! It's a stock photo of somebody edging close to their demise!

This is what I believe. It's an opinion so do not expect sources coming out of my ears. This is me opening up, a little.

Let's begin with life itself. The odds are so stacked against you being alive that you shouldn't be alive at all, but you are! Embrace it. The odds of you being alive are 1 in 10^2,685,000 (a 10 followed by 2,685,000 zeros) and some of you think winning the lottery is difficult. So surely we are meant to be here, surely there is a purpose for us when we open our eyes and our minds and begin to know. It's knowing ourselves, our existence, those around you, everything around you, being inquisitive, learning, adapting, maturing, nurturing, all of these things and more that really begs the question, what is the point? What is the point in all that if you just drop dead when your old and that's it, onto the next.

I think our minds, our consciousness and our existence are far too complex to simply end, and nor do I believe there was simply a beginning 28 years ago when I was born. I believe there is something more, something we do not understand.

You know what else fries my brain? The idea of non-existence. You know, nothingness. I want to put this into perspective. The only reason the universe exists is because you know it to exist. If you simply died and nothing followed, so would the universe (from your perspective) because why should something exist if you don't know it to exist. It didn't exist to (the unborn) you before you were born, so why should it exist to (the dead) you after you die? Maybe I'm rambling here but I know what I want to say. So I guess, why should you fear death in that sense, because you're taking everything and everybody with you!

But wait, that's why I'm here! I don't believe (or know if) it works like that!

I don't think you die, you rot in the ground and it's over. I don't believe everything you were taught is forgotten, I don't believe everybody you loved is left behind, I don't believe everything you achieved is lost. I don't understand how one could come into existence, know his/her existence, live their life and simply die. I don't understand death.

I guess if you believe in the simple life and death scenario then you believe in this (I read it somewhere) -

If there is no eternity then we can only pretend that life has purpose—whether through religion or philosophy or politics—but it’s all about as substantial as a Hollywood movie. So grab a box of popcorn and have another drink, for all is temporal. What meant something yesterday means nothing today. And for those who are suffering, they are just terribly unlucky. Life is a game of play-pretend, narrated by a narcissist, full of noise and violence, giving significance to nothing

I don't believe this is the case, and I desperately want to believe that there is something more, because why shouldn't there be?

The fact you are alive proves that nothing is impossible so why can't life (consciousness, whatever) continue after death. Regardless of what you believe, you don't know everything. You never will. Not till you die anyway.

So I guess I should ask, what do you think happens when you die?
edit on 3/17/16 by angryhulk because: Grammar

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
It's all spending and recycling of energy, that's the whole meaning with life and it's evident everywhere.

I don't believe in a conscious state after death in any form.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: angryhulk

There was nothingness before you were born.

Death is the same.

Hopes,fears,dreams and ambitions....gone.

"Like tears in the rain"

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

We already know what happens. We start to decompose immediately after our heart stops beating. Algor mortis, rigor mortis, lividity, then we bloat, decay, then what's left is dried and bleached, at least according to certain the conditions.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

We already know what happens. We start to decompose immediately after our heart stops beating. Algor mortis, rigor mortis, lividity, then we bloat, decay, then what's left is dried and bleached, at least according to certain the conditions.

Yes, to the body, that's evident. What about the mind, conciousness. That is of course it is seperate to the body, because you don't know if it is or isn't.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

As a species, we don't understand life, either, but we don't dare confess to such.

We are, basically, physical machines installed with spiritual operators. The problem arises when this begins to suggest that there may be a creator... or inventor, greater than us.

Imagine that... humanity being both less and more than it chooses to be in a time when it has not a clue.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Is it maybe some sort of determinism you're looking for? An unexplored mechanism behind the coincidence of human evolution?

Had a nde that turned my life and my mind upside down. So I believe there is indeed a barrier of some sort. You can have past life memories which would indicate there is an immortal part in all of us. But that is not the current me that survives, just a tiny little fragment.
And the universe couldn't care less if you or I exist or not. So that part of your OP is pure bs.
Consciousness is a big mystery but much less important to a bunch of gas clouds and rocks than you seem to think.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Yes, to the body, that's evident. What about the mind, conciousness. That is of course it is seperate to the body, because you don't know if it is or isn't.

It isn't. Every time you point to your mind or consciousness, you're actually pointing to the body. Try it out. They are the same.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Is it maybe some sort of determinism you're looking for? An unexplored mechanism behind the coincidence of human evolution?

Had a nde that turned my life and my mind upside down. So I believe there is indeed a barrier of some sort. You can have past life memories which would indicate there is an immortal part in all of us. But that is not the current me that survives, just a tiny little fragment.
And the universe couldn't care less if you or I exist or not. So that part of your OP is pure bs.
Consciousness is a big mystery but much less important to a bunch of gas clouds and rocks than you seem to think.

I wouldn't say determinism, I don't know what I'm looking for. I guess I'm just sharing my thoughts and reaching out for opinion(s).

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
It's all spending and recycling of energy, that's the whole meaning with life and it's evident everywhere.

I don't believe in a conscious state after death in any form.

I think that's unfortunate. I believe 'something' continues. Just ending our existence doesn't make sense to me.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Any type of life-after-death type beliefs are nothing but the wishful thinking of mortals thatve gotten greedy. Enjoy this brief burp of life we have, and don't waste any time thinking about the end.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

It isn't. Every time you point to your mind or consciousness, you're actually pointing to the body. Try it out. They are the same.

To you, yes.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Ah, the great mystery!... the end of the ride, maybe we just have to be patient, the day of the unraveling will eventually come regardless of our beliefs and expectations.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369
Any type of life-after-death type beliefs are nothing but the wishful thinking of mortals thatve gotten greedy. Enjoy this brief burp of life we have, and don't waste any time thinking about the end.

Of course it's wishful thinking however that doesn't stray from my point that I simply do not understand 'death' or it all 'ending'.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: MaxTamesSiva
Ah, the great mystery!... the end of the ride, maybe we just have to be patient, the day of the unraveling will eventually come regardless of our beliefs and expectations.

We have no choice but to be patient my friend!

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Most humans who have ever lived, have struggled merely to survive, like any other animal.

Other animals evidence "consciousness" too...I.E pass the mirror test.

There is no need to romanticize humans and to imbue them with a unique status in the Universe.

Your "chance to be alive" words acts as metaphysical smoke and mirrors; rather an appeal to incredulity..a backdoor connection to some sort of anthropomorphic argument is implied.

It is not justified.

Given that your premise is seen as not credible on its face, there is no required predicate, thus nothing to answer.

Sorry.

Kev

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ericthedoubter

There was nothingness before you were born.

Death is the same.

Hopes,fears,dreams and ambitions....gone.

"Like tears in the rain"

I don't know. I can't remember anything past 2 years of age so if there was anything prior to being born, I can't remember it. Many members of ATS claim to remember.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: redoubt

As a species, we don't understand life, either, but we don't dare confess to such.

We are, basically, physical machines installed with spiritual operators. The problem arises when this begins to suggest that there may be a creator... or inventor, greater than us.

Imagine that... humanity being both less and more than it chooses to be in a time when it has not a clue.

I guess that's one way to look at it. I'm not sure about there being a creator. To be honest I haven't a clue.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Well going off your posts it seems asthough you do understand, you just don't want to admit it to yourself.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Well there was this article about mice inheriting their parents learned behaviour. Then we got the fact that most scientific discoveries are made approximately the same time from more than one team/person independently. I guess learning and knowing is something that is never lost, like a consciousness cloud, we get uploaded to. Well not we but our thoughts.
We are Deep Thought.
Wouldn't it be awesome, if our collective consciousness would have become a self aware energy being?
edit on 17-3-2016 by Peeple because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join