It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Facts About Drugs That Will Make You Question Everything You Know

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: RomeByFire

Don't forget that caffeine is also a highly addictive legal narcotic. That is one that isn't mentioned as often because it isn't known to be destructive.

That's because it supports the American work ethic. It's the perfect compromise between affordability, effectiveness and relative safety.

I would say it is because it is not a root cause of child and wife abuse, homelessness, human trafficking, theft, rape and murder.
People who have known addicts who have died and killed for their need ingloriously know why we want laws.

The old opium den days still appeals I see. There is a reason getting off drugs is called "clean".

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
I'd like to add in one myself,

"Alcohol is the gateway drug,"

For its advertised and glamorized with athletes, movie stars, supermodels, and is to be found at nearly every restaurant and gas station. It is a very, very, very harmful drug that is very addictive and has a plethora of health-concerns that are brought upon by addiction/dependacy.

It is socially accepted as normal behavior whenever drunk driving accidents occur, overdoses occur, or serious and sometimes terminal illnesses can be onset or worsened by alcohol consumption.

Back in 2013, iirc, alcohol was ranked as the 2nd most socially disruptive drug - crystal meth was the only drug ranked higher.

There are mountains of peer-reviewed and published articles/journals regarding the direct correlation between alcoholism and aggression/violence - there are mountains of peer-reviewed and published articles/journals regarding the direct correlation between alcoholism and committing crime.

People who are "against making drugs legal," for whatever ridiculous propoganda-esque reasoning blow my mind.

Alcohol? Meh.
Cigarettes/Tobacco products? Meh.
Prescription narcotics? Meh.

But cannabis? RAAAAH! YOU LOSER HIPPY! YOU WANT TO DESTROY THE MORAL FIBRE OF THIS NATION! RAAAAH! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO TELL MY CHILDREN! RAAAAH! DRUGS R SO BAD!!!!

Stop arresting, beating, torturing, and murdering people (especially consenting adults) for possessing/consuming an herb.

Go play Mein Kammpf somewhere else.

The folks who engage in consuming mj usually smoke it. The smoke is what gets the user high. The smoke goes in their mouth and into the air other people breath. If other people breath that air they will get high. The odor of the smoke is powerful and can be smelled from a great distance. With the bad rap cigarette smoking received, most places ban smoking because of the same complaint; smoke and stench. Now there are ways for others to ingest nicotine without bothering anyone else because there is no smell. No one is seeing any huge promotion of smokeless and odorless mj when it comes to legalizing it.

The people that use mj to alter their conciousness never express genuine sympathy for others who get paranoid, feel sick, feel exhausted or become dilisuional if they were to smoke mj. Regular mj smokers have experienced that themselves at one time or another. Knowing this, it is wrong to smoke mj that produces smoke and smells around others who don't smoke it due to not wanting to ever try it or they have and had a terrible experience.

When people smoke mj in their house, it leaves an odor long afterwards and over time, residue on the walls like cigarettes do. It gets on furniture, curtains, glass, everything. Mj smokers could probably scrape the resin off their walls and smoke it and get high.

There are people that don't want to deal with someone high. Just like people distance themselves from people who are drunk. This is clearly seen when a sober person has to be in close proximity of someone drunk. Drunk people are easier to deal with when your drunk. People who smoke mj and get high can really act out of it. Some people get so stoned they can barely move or they sway and just act weird. Just like a drunk thinks they are cool when they are drunk and not a problem, being in denial about it, mj smokers react the same way to how they appear to others all glassy eyed and spaced out.

I think the study is bs. If anything, if the community is now largely quiet due to legalizing, its because the users are out of it and not roaming around or rethinking if they should get high ot not because it's legal. While this may seem like a great thing, it's really not. To know millions of people have to be pumped up full of drugs or meds that pertain to how they think and process information being so severly flawed, is beyond sad. Their only relief found is when their mind is altered. If they act normal when high but abnormal sober that means they are special needs folks and mentally unstable.

What's also disturbing is the potent mj is ridiculously expensive and addicting to the extreme. People rob, burglarize or spend money needed for their family's mortgage/rent or food because they are addicted to it. They forgo family outings just to be with other people who smoke. Mj becomes their lover unless their lover smokes. Mj is so coveted and addicting people sacrifice normal precious things.

Regular mj smokers are unlike other drug users, they are very cult like. If one doesn't smoke they won't relate to you or you them. Its all about them and their social mj smoking group. Just as others frown on stoners, the stoners frown on those who don't. Mj has produced a culture, crack hasn't, coc aine tried but was short lived. Most people who smoke mj regularily don't think it a drug. They think they are drug free.

While it's been said mj smokers are peaceful hippies, even the hippies know its true so long as they are high. That means if they are not high they are going to display mental instabity, aggression, mood swings and so on due to being dependant on the drug to stabilize them. Many mj smokers combine prescribed narcotics and antidepressants further messing up their brain. Why? Because the mj alone isn't enough.

If society is at the point of legalizing all drugs, that means the powers that be know that most of the population is mentally unstable and they are out of options. Because those deemed mentally ill are allowed to run amok in society, people are exposed to more and more abnormal behavior.

The war on drugs was needed. Those people supporting it were trying to do right. There was no great conspiracy. People who use drugs to alter their thinking are different from people who don't do that. People are skeptical of other people purposefully altering their conciousness who think they need to but don't, and may believe they are just being mentally lazy . Those they know need it, because of how they act sober, wonder why the users are allowed to roam the country freely as if it were one big psychiatric facility. While that may seem like why should that bother them because they are just doing it to themselves? When in reality those people can and have, influenced others. Someone doing it for fun, can mess up their life or another's pretty easily. Everyone knows this. Not everyone who uses drugs regularly is going to be a functional addict and functional for even them, doesn't end well health wise. Lives are ruined. People are worried about their older kids. They don't want them in a culture open to drugs. Free America means drug free for so many because it's FREE from them. That freedom means bondage to many. The "say no to drugs" campaign saved thousands of lives. For those late bloomers who did do them, they know now. These are the people that need to speak out. Most of the heavy pot smokers who graduated from high school in the late 70's are dead from it. People who only party part time or some times,, be careful what you wish for because legalizing isn't going to make people responsible people or considerate people. Legalizing drugs doesn't automatically give the user good manners. Part time partiers who like to seclude themselves from their friends who party, enjoying the soberness, health, then going back to partying, know what's right. Ask yourself why you like those sober healthy times.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Awesome post!

I was on adderall for 10 years. Do you know Barr brand adderall tastes like candy. Its like the drug makers want kids hooked. Cor brand workes much better and the taste is bitter. People like the taste of Barr. What do they do? Chew it. When you chew adderall the shelf life of effects do not last as long if you swallowed it. So the effects wear off after chewing and your body says more please. Then after 15 days your 30 day rx runs out. Then you Doctor shop.

I am 2 years off adderall. I had withdrawal for one year and I am not kidding. I woke up one morning and decided to not have a drug like adderall rule me and flushed the guys away and never looked back!
edit on 17-3-2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Really great thread KrazySh0t.

a reply to: WhiteWingedMonolith

So much of your rambling comment is based on supposition, and a clear bias against Cannabis. You have no evidence that the positive stats relating to Marijuana decriminalization/legalization are caused by 'a bunch of high people wandering around in a daze' or 'being too Stoned to report negative effects' of legal reform.

And Marijuana prohibition is indeed based in conspiracy, it's a well-known fact that moguls and captains of the logging, oil and paper industry conspired to use their advertising and their publications, as well as their influence on government and law enforcement agencies, to create a MASSIVE pr campaign against Cannabis, a campaign which drew on southern racism and general ignorance. This was mainly to preempt the farming of and utilization of hemp as a cash crop and a renewable resource, which would've taken dollars right out of their overflowing pockets.
edit on 3172016 by M4nWithNoN4me because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

edit on 3172016 by M4nWithNoN4me because: Double post

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

Right here: www.drugabuse.gov...

Pertinent info: In 2011, 4.2 million Americans aged 12 or older (or 1.6 percent) had used heroin at least once in their lives. It is estimated that about 23 percent of individuals who use heroin become dependent on it. Twenty-three percent is far higher than 10-15%. Glad to educate you.

Well actually 23% is only 8% above 15%. I could see a variance in the percentage within that range depending on sampling methods used between the studies. 23% certainly isn't "far higher" than the numbers given.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Star and flag for you.

A lot of "liberal propaganda" ends up being logic backed by statistics. Drugs aren't the problem, their legal status is.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

As someone with ADD I was prescribe Ritalin as a kid, but I didn't like it. I didn't want to be altering myself like that and didn't trust the drug. Luckily my parents didn't push the issue and I just let the prescription lapse with only taking a pill or two.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Firstly, what is your point? Did you bother reading the what he asked of me? It was stated unequivocally that 85-90% of those who try heroin do not become addicted. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth when you state, "far more people would have actually used heroin [ergo, the prevalence of addiction is far higher than reported - way too many anecdotal reports of "the first time I tried it, I was hooked" being backed up by good science at the link provided below] than the amount who would openly admit it", which reinforces my point that far more than only 10-15% of people who try it become addicted. Go read the article first linked in the OP. It's a long ways from "any" drug to "heroin, meth, or crack".

What is a 'party drug'? Do you honestly think the meth epidemic in the US is because it is most commonly used by people as a party drug?

Educate yourself here: www.samhsa.gov...

And provide some facts as opposed to assertions.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: M4nWithNoN4me
Really great thread KrazySh0t.

And Marijuana prohibition is indeed based in conspiracy, it's a well-known fact that moguls and captains of the logging, oil and paper industry conspired to use their advertising and their publications, as well as their influence on government and law enforcement agencies, to create a MASSIVE pr campaign against Cannabis, a campaign which drew on southern racism and general ignorance. This was mainly to preempt the farming of and utilization of hemp as a cash crop and a renewable resource, which would've taken dollars right out of their overflowing pockets.

Which ironically, is exactly why Americans still refer to cannabis as marijuana to this day.

When the campaign began to criminalize this plant, they wanted people to think of it as an obscure evil Mexican drug, rather than relating it to the harmless 'Indian hemp' plant... so they called it marijuana because it sounded Mexican and so people wouldn't realize they were referring to cannabis.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I was on Ritalin too before adderall. I did not work for me. I felt sick from it. My doctor pushed me to try adderall. I did and for 10 years I lived in an adderall world. Meanwhile the doctor kept upping my dose. I was on 4 20mg pills each day. I was controlled. It was awful.

Thank you for sharing your story!

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Huffington Post! You believe anything from the Huffington Post? Might as well say CNN is a fair and balanced news organization. You like Hillary too?????

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

If drugs were legalized, I predict a 100% drop in folks perfroming shameful favors for gas/drug money behind your neighborhood 7-11 dumpster. A lot of folks relatives could then quit peddling their under grundle for that next fix. Just imagine...your parents being free to explore the depths of their minds and weaknesses to arise from the ashes as a glorious hobo! Here's a Participation Medal

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: daveinats
Huffington Post! You believe anything from the Huffington Post? Might as well say CNN is a fair and balanced news organization. You like Hillary too?????

Do you deny everything you see without reading it to see if it is properly sourced?

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I'd take an average of 10 to 15 percent and come up with 12.5% for a fair estimate and 23% is 92% higher than 12.5% which is far higher. I'm not gonna cherry pick any numbers to support my argument, I'm just coming correct with good science and pointing out your backtracking. You asked for facts and got em.
edit on 17-3-2016 by BeefNoMeat because: typo

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Legalize them all ! reverse our prison populations! Rehabilitative sentencing aka light sentencing for lesser crimes and harsher sentencing for heinous non rehabilitative crimes (child rape/ heinous murders) that's where I stand!

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Awesome post oozing common sense about failed drug policies... good luck with informing our stunted society.

I want to start a political movement and even have the acronym picked out (just now), RIDU (Responsible, Informed Drug Users) ... but am simply too high and lazy (kidding) ...

but really, it's "too scared" due to my own legal issues in the past that arose from my hobbies in this topic area... a felon, here, and I've never stolen from, hurt or molested anyone.

To the folks writing paragraphs-long diatribes as to why the drug war was a good idea, YOU are the reason WE get high in the first place... sigh (kidding, but c'mon ... you must suspect you're quite boring ...while using serious stereotyping to besmirch anyone responsibly, or not, altering their consciousness temporarily... or forever).

If the "anti-drug, pro drug war" folks want to play Gestapo in their own workplace because some fools can't hold their intoxicant of choice, great... but why make blanket laws that make a third of society criminals?

Drug laws are an absurdity that do far more harm than good... speak to a drug warrior who's been on the front lines, in person, and see.

I haven't met any drug law enforcement officer who still thinks prohibition/prosecution is a good idea after working in the field longer than a year, so that says something... and my sample pool is statistically significant.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I'd take an average of 10 to 15 percent and come up with 12.5% for a fair estimate and 23% is 92% higher than 12.5% which is far higher. I'm not gonna cherry pick any numbers to support my argument, I'm just coming correct with good science and pointing out your backtracking. You asked for facts and got em.

Good science? Your source was from a government website and didn't actually say where and how it got its numbers. MY source was an actual scientific study. Again here it is.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

I was just giving the benefit of the doubt, but if you want to split hairs, you haven't provided any science whatsoever.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Firstly, what is your point?

My point is that even if your '23% of smack users become addicted' stats are correct, the percentage would obviously become far lower once you add meth and coke into the equation.

Meaning, the 10 to 15% claim in the op, appears to be based on solid data... even going by the stats in your own link.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Show the study is bs, you are just ranting about nothing to do with what it is saying. Just a bunch of hyperboles that has nothing to do with anything.

That means if they are not high they are going to display mental instabity, aggression, mood swings and so on due to being dependant on the drug to stabilize them. Many mj smokers combine prescribed narcotics and antidepressants further messing up their brain. Why? Because the mj alone isn't enough.

Like this, what a load of tripe.

You are equating people deep into addiction to anyone who does any drugs it seems. Painting a very broad picture about many people you know nothing about.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join