It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Facts About Drugs That Will Make You Question Everything You Know

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Making something illegal, that someone else wants to put inside their body, is the biggest form of control out there.

I don't see where anyone gets off thinking that a law doing this is just in any way.

If someone wants to inject heroin and smoke some meth, I offer up Thomas Jefferson......

The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg

While speaking of God, or Gods, this can be applied to freedoms as well.

Someone smoking pot, snorting coke neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
But, this has to walk hand in hand in State/Fed Govt providing services and/or money to people that use it for drugs or to offset their life for drugs.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader
Let's suck this kid dry because he wanted to explore life, he is a bad kid he will never learn, let's make his life a hell and make him pay for what he done while we dance on his soul.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I don't like how in this country you can live in one state and be considered a patient. In another state you could be thrown in prison for something that would be a legal medicine one state over. It's ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: OpenMindedPhilosopher

And you can be charged with a felony as that patient for just taking your medicine into that state on the grounds of transporting across state lines.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

"That which is denied gains in power and seeks strange and unexpected forms of manifestation." Peter J. Carroll

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Awesome idea
All of South America and Afghanistan will be happy that all their dead will rise because drugs are legalized
Millions will be happy

Did you neglect the whole story, the truth, the non US side of the story, the blood drugs are soaked in to supply the craving of the US

Go CIA

link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

Seriously Inter!!!!

We had on of our ADA defenders speak in my psych class last week; Our state is one of the WORST ones for getting popped w/pot

Possession
Any amount (first offense) N/A 1 year N/A
Any amount (subsequent offense) Felony 2 - 10 years N/A

FELONY ! ! ! ! ! !

Anyway our state revenue from marijuana arrests is well over 6 mill per year! Hell, even most of our prisons and jails are privately owned FOR PROFIT!!!! We have college kids w/straight a's on the honor roll in prison, and with the word 'felon' on their back for life

link   
Meh. I really don't care where you get your stuff. Nor how distressing it is when your ways and means overrun your supply of the good stuff that puts you in heaven and alternately in hell.

What I am concerned about is disclosure. There are lots of positions that demand a consistent physical and mental
constitution. And I'd want to know what song you're singing if you were vying for many of these positions.

But I suppose if it's all good, and all legal, then you'd say that it's nobody's business, am I right?

Legal or not, I can't imagine that smackheads, or dessicated coke-for-brains, are willing to disclose the truth about their
withered state. Once you've found your comfort zone, you are unlikely to apply scrutiny to whether or not the passion
is beneficial for you, professionally, personally, or spiritually. Junk is junk.

I suspect that legality has little to do with the frequent fliers I have met
and their habit of keeping it to themselves, and those of their kind.
I mean, nobody talks about it.
Because it's their little secret. Their social and professional edge.
Not even around the friendly confines of the perpetual coffee table, or even in the bedroom, do they breathe a hint, since no one's
supposed to know that anyone's cheating. That anyone's enhanced. Why lose that edge?

At least booze is easy to detect, socially. I won't waste words; I will not engage nor even face a secretly enhanced one. They're so special, so high and enlightened, and give some serious insight into 'pearls before swine'. I will not walk through your garden unless you are honest to us about your state of maintenance, and repair.

Am I boring you?

# 601
edit on 17-3-2016 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I actually agree with you and am glad you finally have come around to my libertarian views...at least on this issue. I look forward to you promoting more libertarian ideas in the future.

Congratulations!

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

No, I'm not denying anything. Just pointing fact one isn't correct. In no uncertain terms it states, "85 percent to 90 percent of people who use even heroin, crack or meth don't become addicted." I have no biases. You're putting words in my mouth. I'm very informed. Informed enough to point out that fact one is incorrect. It may be that 85-90% that use ANY drug don't become addicted but that's not true with the drugs stated in fact one.
edit on 17-3-2016 by BeefNoMeat because: typo

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I actually agree with you and am glad you finally have come around to my libertarian views...at least on this issue. I look forward to you promoting more libertarian ideas in the future.

Congratulations!

Uh... Thanks I guess... Though you should know that I was a Libertarian in the past.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

No, I'm not denying anything. Just pointing fact one isn't correct. In no uncertain terms it states, "85 percent to 90 percent of people who use even heroin, crack or meth don't become addicted." I have no biases. You're putting words in my mouth. I'm very informed. Informed enough to point out that fact one is incorrect. It may be that 85-90% that use ANY drug don't become addicted but that's not true with the drugs stated in fact one.

If you are correct, where is your data corroborating your claim? You can't just declare my fact to be inaccurate and just be correct. You have to actually prove your point. That fact in the OP is backed up by a scientific study. YOUR counterpoint is backed up by your opinion and biases (at least so far).

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
If "legalized" the same way in the US as in Portugal, is the medical system then capable of treating the drug addicts that might be, and do government controlled handout of drugs to the addicts that might be, and do it country wide, i mean there is a lot of drug addicts in the US, Portugal is a relatively small country when it comes to drugusers and government control of drugs.

A little statistic for reference, a bit old but can do DrugFacts: Nationwide Trends

And some more info that might even answer my question.

A Blind Eye to Addiction

Addiction is America's most neglected disease. According to a Columbia University study, "40 million Americans age 12 and over meet the clinical criteria for addiction involving nicotine, alcohol or other drugs." That's more Americans than those with heart disease, diabetes or cancer. An estimated additional 80 million people in this country are "risky substance users," meaning that while not addicted, they "use tobacco, alcohol and other drugs in ways that threaten public health and safety.
" The costs to government coffers alone (not including family, out of pocket and private insurance costs) exceed $468 billion annually.
Over 38,000 peopled died of drug overdoses in the U.S. in 2010, greater than the deaths attributed to motor vehicle accidents, homicides and suicides. Overdose deaths from opioids (narcotic pills like Oxycontin, Percodan and Methadone as well as heroin) have become the fastest growing drug problem throughout the U.S., and not just in large urban settings.

edit on 17-3-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Right here: www.drugabuse.gov...

Pertinent info: In 2011, 4.2 million Americans aged 12 or older (or 1.6 percent) had used heroin at least once in their lives. It is estimated that about 23 percent of individuals who use heroin become dependent on it. Twenty-three percent is far higher than 10-15%. Glad to educate you.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

Fact Three: Switzerland legalized heroin for addicts over a decade ago. Nobody has ever died on an overdose there on legal heroin.

Switzerland had 126 deaths by opiods in 2013. Source

If I could rebute one simple fact, I have doubts concerning the trustworthiness of the other points.

Note the article referred to no overdoses on legal heroin in Switzerland, heroin administered for free at an assigned clinic.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I never understood the logic behind trying to use force to stop someone from putting something inside their own body. It's a violation of human rights.

Drug addiction itself is a medical issue but is treated largely as a criminal issue, and statistics show that putting drug users in prison absolutely destroys their lives.

The war on drugs is such an incredible failure and hasn't accomplished anything in over 30 years. You figure they would have learned after what happened during Prohibition in the 1920's. At it's core it's nothing more then an agenda to keep fueling the prison industry.
edit on 17-3-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

Right here: www.drugabuse.gov...

Pertinent info: In 2011, 4.2 million Americans aged 12 or older (or 1.6 percent) had used heroin at least once in their lives. It is estimated that about 23 percent of individuals who use heroin become dependent on it. Twenty-three percent is far higher than 10-15%. Glad to educate you.

Firstly, far more people would have actually used heroin than the amount who would openly admit it... secondly, those stats don't include coke and meth, which are both most commonly used by people as 'party drugs'.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: RomeByFire

Don't forget that caffeine is also a highly addictive legal narcotic. That is one that isn't mentioned as often because it isn't known to be destructive.

That's because it supports the American work ethic. It's the perfect compromise between affordability, effectiveness and relative safety.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
But but what about all of the people who get rich or make a living with treating people for addiction. They would be out of a job.

Just think of the people who would be out of work if we just learned to avoid stress instead of taking medicines so we can keep on screwing up. If everyone just learned that we all will have ups and downs in life and that if we learn to deal with it by talking with our parents about their experience with it then there would be a lot of therapists needing work in a factory that got shut down and moved to china.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Great thread!
The problem here is misconception and ignorance, not the drugs.

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Seriously, at this point, anyone still arguing to keep drugs illegal is just denying reality.

This just goes to show how successful all the TV propaganda against drugs have been at brainwashing all of us. I say “us” because I was also fooled into believing cannabis was bad even though I knew it wasn’t. It’s an odd feeling having that kind of conflict in one’s own mind. The fact is that it’s actually the safest drug available.

The best way to remove drug trafficking from the black market is to legalize it, all of it. Make it readily available, cheaper and safer through regulation. This seems counter-intuitive yet the facts do speak for themselves.

A testament to the success, or lack thereof, for the war on drugs is the fact that they cannot even keep drugs out of federal prisons. Addicts need medical care not incarceration.
edit on 3/17/2016 by Devino because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join