It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entrepreneurship - any advice?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Yeah, my uncle keeps telling me to start into several new things - I'd prefer to start one thing that I'm good at and passionate about

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
a reply to: and14263

Yeah, my uncle keeps telling me to start into several new things - I'd prefer to start one thing that I'm good at and passionate about

Which is......

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

That's a good question actually.

I don't know the answer to either, so I suppose a broad approach could work but spreading myself thin wouldn't give me a good idea of anything.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope

That's a good question actually.

I don't know the answer to either, so I suppose a broad approach could work but spreading myself thin wouldn't give me a good idea of anything.

What are your hobbies and interests then? what are you good at?

How do you want to be living your life in 20 years time.

These are important questions.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Well I know I don't want to take orders from someone else. I want independence, even if it means equal or lesser money.

I enjoy some things to do with computers - but programing gives me migraines within a couple hours, I don't see that being my career path.

I've honestly thought I could compete with Dell, though. I enjoy putting computers together, know what I'm doing, and wouldn't charge an unfair price while giving them bad motherboards, low end hardware, and such.

I've heard it's not at all realistic. My friend knew a guy who tried, and the guy got screwed by people that didn't want competition.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

If I lived in your area, I'd get a McKenzie drifter or raft and start a guide service on the Green.

Huge rainbows and browns in the cold water and monster cats and sturgeon in the warm.
edit on 17-3-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I have an S Corp. I researched the hell out of my options, the downsides are much less than the upsides, IMO.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Thinking about it I guess it's a split.

There's the typical entrepreneurs who can turn their hand at anything. Overall good sales people and quick at learning with good foresight.

Then there's the professional / expert who branches out on their own.

So everything is possible. I wish you luck!

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

If I lived in your area, I'd get a McKenzie drifter or raft and start a guide service on the Green.

Huge rainbows and browns in the cold water and monster cats and sturgeon in the warm.

I'm your first customer ... Sounds like heaven to me.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Not only that, but have an exit plan.

YES! YES! YES!

That was our problem. We grew too fast, didn't have financial backing, knew nothing of having employees, worked 18 hours a day 365 days a year, did something unique so there was no one to ask, and got burned-out to a crisp. Plus we were working with the public with insatiable expectations, and a stupid, idealistic beginning motto of "trust everyone until they give us a reason not to." How's that for a laugh? But it was an amazing experience for sure.

It was an accidental but massive pesticide poisoning that had me go from gazillion to zero overnight. We lost our business, our home, my health, all in one fell swoop, and sometimes it feels like we are still falling...but we didn't have an exit plan and we KNEW we didn't have an exit plan. So in this regard, being poisoned was actually worth it!

The idea of an exit plan has become so knee jerk important to me now that I apply it to everything. I won't even enter a thread on ATS without an exit plan!

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Get a lawyer and don't trust anyone

That's pretty cynical - having said that I would get a lawyer to vet the Lawyer. Den of thieves and all that

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Well I know I don't want to take orders from someone else.

A noble ideal; you do realize you'll be taking orders/*crap* from
Landlords
Councils/Municipals
State Governments
Feds
Regulatory bodies
Taxmen
Lawyers
Stock distributors
Market forces
and the big one ....."The Customer Is Always Right (crap)"

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I don't mean like that - I realize I'll always have to follow laws, have a product that's desired, etc... I just mean someone that's literally in charge of me in the workplace

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   

lol I get the joke

But in real life this is how Brandson started

At a university he saw an opportunity to start a magazine for students

He got companies to advertise in it so he can publish it

Then he got involved in advertising world

edit on 17-3-2016 by 1am2pm because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join