It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miami woman killed a teen burglar as he fled her home, police say. Should she be charged?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

What she done will do the complete opposite of that. The young boy have friend, family, may be is in a gang. People will do something to her if law doesn't.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhantomOrion
a reply to: intrptr

It's really a shame. The young should never die before their time.

If I were in the woman's shoes, it would be tempting to take the law into my own hands. After all, how dare they enter my home. Wish there was more information about what happened in the home when she confronted the boy. I see her actions being more emotionally-based. She didn't have to kill him. And she did disobey the police who told her not to enter the home. She may see some consequences.

I have to take issue with your belief about the young. A criminal is a criminal no matter the age. And i don trecall anything being said about the cops telling her to not pursue. Are you sure your not adding from Travon martin and zimmerman there?

Its her house she has the right to not retreat in her own house or property.

And really folks... this isnt surprising given th elocation its LIBERTY CITY. the GTA creators choose the name as well because of its reputation id bet.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

I have to go by what I was taught during my C.C.W. class in my
state of ohio.I also need to get an updated book on gun laws

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: PersonneX
a reply to: Spacespider

What she done will do the complete opposite of that. The young boy have friend, family, may be is in a gang. People will do something to her if law doesn't.

So youre saying that criminals will tyr to hurt someone because their criminal buddy got wasted huh? And I know th ecops will put them all under surveillance a week or so to prevent that if possible.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JustAnObservation

If I was a juror for this lady's trial, I wouldn't convict

Don't want to get shot? Don't try to steal my stuff!

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
1 Weird Pro-tip to avoid getting shot.

Don't B and E.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Do you not have a law in the US for citizens arrest? If so she could claim he was resisting arrest.
For all you people saying she's in the wrong are you the same people that forcefully defended two LEOs who shot a man running away from a questioning.I'd like to remind you folk of a post a few months ago, two LEOs detained a man in a restaurant toilet and took him outside to question him (in my oppinion at the time the LEOs wound him up on the way out of the restaurant, but by the by).
When they got him outside the man fired a blank pistol at one of the officers and turned and ran. He was about twenty feet from them ,fleeing with his back turned from them, they fired approx twenty bullits at him killing him.
Now where do you stand? In that post you were defending the LEOs for their action (killing a man fleeing with no threat to them) yet you lambast this woman for her actions.
I have had quite a few real examples of this sort of situation and it always comes down to the very, very real reason that if they get away(the chances of the police catching them is zero to nil) they WILL return and next time you might not be ready.
It is no reason to say "oh, he was young" or "he was running away", no, no ,no. HE SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE WHAT HE DID.
If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. And that includes getting killed for a petty offence.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

So youre saying that criminals will tyr to hurt someone because their criminal buddy got wasted huh? And I know th ecops will put them all under surveillance a week or so to prevent that if possible.

Yes, even if she is not prosecuted, she lost her home, and her work. If I know I'm out of danger, I would never shoot someone because of those consequence. I know people can get revenge and everybody is dangerous. The same reason I would have shoot first on an invader, would have prevented me to shoot on that guy.
edit on 17-3-2016 by PersonneX because: (no reason given)

EDIT: That's the reality, when you have to jump in the s**** you get dirty, even if justified. The only reason the jump in it, it's because you cannot do anything else. If you get in, don't try to stay on the edge (if you could have, you would have anyways). If you don't go forward you finish by drowning in it. If you have to shoot for your life, shoot to kill. I hope will get trouble, because that's mean you stayed in life.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The problem i see with this is she was not home. Granted her house was broken into. If she had kids home that is one thing but if the house if empty that is another.
Basically she knew there was a very good chance her house was being broken into and she knew she was rightfully armed so she went in knowing she could kill if worst comes to worst. So be it...

But i mean at this point look at it like this, she is basically a cop responding to a burgularly in progress call with a personal attachment albeit. How would ATS want a cop to respond in that situation if the fleeing part is true?

I consider it easy enough. It was a duplex, if she shot him outside it was likely a dirty shot. Inside? Well he probably spooked her rounding a corner. Itll happen.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

But she isn't a cop.

It falls under the whole, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

You watch his cousins justify stealing?

Should she have shot him the back? Probably not.

IT all could have been avoided by not B and E.
edit on 17-3-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Would we even be having this discussion if Trevon was white? I don't think so. I don't even think that we would have heard of this if Trevon was white. It wouldn't be news.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

But he loved education, quoting his cousins.

Should've educated him about consequences.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

A criminal is a criminal no matter the age.

thanks for posting, as always, Yupp!

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Bet there is some sleazy lawyer already licking their chops on this story.
We will just have to wait and see what comes of this.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

I will P R O M I S E you that we will be seeing this in the news time and time again; will we see riots? Hmmmmmm donknow yet...

thanks for posting!

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

If I were in the woman's shoes, it would be tempting to take the law into my own hands. After all, how dare they enter my home. Wish there was more information about what happened in the home when she confronted the boy. I see her actions being more emotionally-based. She didn't have to kill him. And she did disobey the police who told her not to enter the home. She may see some consequences.

I have to take issue with your belief about the young. A criminal is a criminal no matter the age. And i don trecall anything being said about the cops telling her to not pursue. Are you sure your not adding from Travon martin and zimmerman there?

Its her house she has the right to not retreat in her own house or property.

And really folks... this isnt surprising given th elocation its LIBERTY CITY. the GTA creators choose the name as well because of its reputation id bet.

so by your logic a 5 year old who kills another 5 year old while playing or didnt realize what killing is and just killed someone, or a toddler shoots a parent, or a 12 year old steals candy from a local shop.

do you think children, young ADOLESCENTS have the same mind capacity as an adult. there's a reason why there are age limits and restrictions to vote, open bank accounts, take driving tests. its something evolution has worked out for years for us. a person is young so are their critical thinking abilities, as they develop they develop reasoning and more capacitive critical faculties.
---
who knows what that kid was going to take, probably something trivial. its safe to assume her house wasnt a mansion and appeared lucrative to robbers.

what if he only took some food because he was starving... this is where the critical thinking fails in certain age brackets.
how many teens can balance a checkbook or understand moral authorities of the law... how many teens do stupid things. i know i did as a teen. now i look back an realize how idiotic some of those things were, while in my mind those things werent stupid at the time. simply because i was young and only saw things from that one perspective...

this shows the mind capacity of most ats users, in some cases they scream for the law to be enforced, but here she had a valid reason to kill heh... the woman killed a person after she made assumptions in her mind. she murdered a person running away, a person who didnt try to take her life.

and you libertycity guess is as ignorant as ... you pick. you say 'really folks' 'its not suprising... blah blah' then add 'id bet'... so that entire sentence is based on nothing. and btw thats not why lib city was called what it was. look it up yourself.
ill refrain from calling the name that this post made you sound like because of ATS policies.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Get real! Trevon was 15. At that age he knew what he was doing.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

You know the ole saying, "this was MOST LIKELY not, his first rodeo"

thanks for posting!

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

If we all have "a time", who's to say this wasn't his?

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: EternalSolace

I have to go by what I was taught during my C.C.W. class in my
state of ohio.I also need to get an updated book on gun laws

Out of curiosity, I tried to read up on Ohio's self defense laws. Ohio's website for revised codes is an absolute mess. I was able to find the castle doctrine (2901.09) and Self Defense/Burden of Proof (2901.05).

I'm not a lawyer, but they read similar to that of Florida's law... as well as Kentucky's. It appears that one would be justified in Ohio in this particular case as well.

2901.05 Burden of proof - reasonable doubt - self-defense.
2901.09 No duty to retreat in residence or vehicle.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join