It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple strikes again: launches Mac mini me

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
At MacWorld and Expo, Apple Computer Inc. has unveiled a small $499-US computer that aims to make inroads against the traditionally more affordable PC market. "BYODKM... bring your own display, keyboard, and mouse," says Steve Jobs, the company's co-founder and CEO. The company has recently been infused with new life with hot products such as the IMac computer and the IPod portable music player.

www.theglobeandmail.com
Weeks of rumours on Apple-related chat sites have proven true, with Apple Computer Inc. launching a low-cost desktop computer on Tuesday.

According to Apple's website, the Mac mini will retail for a starting price of $499 (U.S.) or $629 Canadian. That price doesn't include a mouse, keyboard, monitor or speakers - all are add-ons.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm a Mac fan from way, way back...only recently broke down and bought a PC laptop because of programs I use for my work that are not mac-friendly. And to think I had the stock when it was $20 something...I knew in my gut I should have held on...boo hoo :-(

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.applecomputer.com

[edit on 14-1-2005 by dbates]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I think the Mac is a superior computer, and I have thought so from the day a co-worker brought by his brand new Macintosh 128k machine in 1984 or 1985.

Yet I've never owned one and never will. The most telling reason why is simple. Last year Apple owned two percent of the desktop market and this year it's less.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
They should have make it have G5 processor instead...that would attract more sales...

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The size alone will generate a lot of sales, with a 1.4 ghz pc this small and with the possibility of a 80gb HD this thing could get as big as the Ipod. It has a lot of potential.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
What Apple should do is include a remote and software to enable the mini to act as a media center. It certainly would look much better in an entertainment center than a dell.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
My advice?

Buy a junky Mini cooper and contact MTV for PIMP my Ride. Tell them how much you like Mac computers and use them to edit movies, but you cant afford a new car, new mac and final cut pro hd.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
One should not under estimate what this little wonder is capable of.

www.apple.com...

iLife '05
Take photos? Shoot video? Make or listen to music? Even if you’ve never considered yourself a creative person, iLife ’05 — a suite of tightly integrated applications that places no limit on your talent or creativity — makes it easy and fun to learn new skills.
Offering major new versions of iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and GarageBand, iLife ’05 lets you easily create fully customizable slideshows and stunning softcover books with iPhoto 5. Edit high-definition 16:9 video from the newest camcorders in iMovie HD. Add movies, pictures and music to iDVD 5 projects just by dragging them in. Or create multi-track recordings in GarageBand 2. Of course, iTunes offers the world’s best digital music jukebox for Macs and PCs. It seamlessly integrates with iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD and GarageBand and syncs with every member of the iPod family. You won’t find a better or easier-to-use set of creative tools than iLife ’05

Includes: iPhoto 5, iMovie HD, iDVD 5, GarageBand 2 and iTunes 4.7

Something else very useful
www.apple.com...

A whole bunch of extra goodies here

www.apple.com...

All about this here
www.apple.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwen
They should have make it have G5 processor instead...that would attract more sales...

The G5 iMac is way superior to the mini, but some people don't need an entire system.
The mini is far more computer than most mom and pop users
will ever need without all the burdens of keeping Windows secure.
Many already have a good monitor and a USB keyboard and mouse,
so this just plugs right in and you're all set.

AND

No one is saying that you can't continue to use both machines.
One for important work and one for games.

OSX Panther is really a pleasure to work with.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Mac is going to clean up in 2005; between this thing and the new "iPod Shuffle" - they've finally addressed one of Mac's biggest complaints from potential customers, that Apple hardware is too pricey... esp the iPod. I would love an iPod, but man... $300?

You should check out the new iPod shuffle on their site; they'll be $100 for a 256MB or $150 for a 512MB. Mac should really dominate the solid-state MP3 player sector with these; the minimalist, ergonomic design approach is timeless and it will own the competition. And it's rechargeable.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I dont think i'm a big fan of the Ipod Shuffle, because (as far as I know) it doesn't have a screen, so you cant select your nexy song by looking at it.

My favorite mp3 player is the Creative Zen Micro.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Remember people this is not a computer for Newbies. Its Bring Your Own Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor, and if you don't have this stuff already the cost of this computer will go up to around 700-800 $ approx. For that price you can get a REALLY sick PC with everything includeded. MACS will always be a Niche filler IMHO.

Wow Murc. Thats a really slick looking non-Ipod Ipod. When did CreativeLabs get in the game.
I really missed them they are a great company.

[edit on 15-1-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
We have both a Sony Vaio P/C running XP Home and my 6 year old Mac G3 Tower
running OSX.

I'll be be upgrading to a G5 dual core tower as soon as they are available.

My kids can't wait to get my G3.

My 3 teenage daughters have been working with both platforms since they were toddlers.
Their combined experience with OS8, OS9, OSX, Windows 95, 98 and XP has given them invaluable insight into the best and worst
of both systems.

After working with OSX and XP Home,
all three of them would never again purchase a Windows based system.

One can argue endlessly that you get more bells and whistles with a p/c
but what good is a cheap system when you loose valuable and sometimes irreplacable
data when the system crashes.

They still use the P/C for chatting, web based e-mail and games,
but any important projects are always done on my Mac.

If all you really care about is games, then get a game module or retire
your p/c for gaming.

You can buy a loaded Chevy for much less than a BMW or Toyota,
but why do so many people pay more? Quality, performance and reliability.

Once you go Mac you'll never go back.

It just works!

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
well, Sorry to rain on your parade.

but macs are for simple people.

yes it works and has little problems,

pc's are complicated and hard to get working flawlessly.

but if your sawvy like me and know how to build your own pc,
install windows proply and never use anti-virus software AND never get viruses. (with out a firewall)

My pc is FLAWLESS and NEVER crashes ever.

I use it for video editing, games, music creation, you name it

it will =p i s s= all over a MAC.

but i agree if you dont know jack about computers, and want a platform for

creating stuff, a mac will be a better choice
(but mega ,mega over priced)

a pc is only worse because you bought it from DELL or TINY.
and comes complete with over £1000's of wothless crap software, that slows your pc down and crashes and is =s h i t= slow.

my friend bought a "DELL" IN 2004 which was surposidly designd/advitised for games,
after him talking about it being too slow at running his games,

i told him he needed a gfxupgrade and he bought an ati (agp card)

upon him asking me to install it, i opens the case only so find

check this!!!

NO AGP SLOT!!!!! AT ALL!!!!

HA HA HA,

dell sells a gaming system in 2004 and dosn't even have an agp slot, lol

what motherboards must they use?

also it had an 200w power suply, lmao.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Actually I think Wintel based p/c's are great!

Think of all the IT professionals that would be unemployed
if Windows ran as trouble free as OSX!

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
If think mac mini was cool...check out this mini PC...and it's even smaller than Mac mini...

www.modular-pc.com...

A5H

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Christ, some of you people are arrogant. A mac will hammer a PC at most graphical based PROGRAMS, photoshop etc...
I use a PC, but only because I can't afford the mac i want. Mac OS X absolutely kicks windows ass i nevery area...
I can't believe people are saying they are for 'simple people' . Geez, go and make a PC that will outperform a top of the line G5. Dual 2.5gig processers, 8gb of RAM etc...
Also someone who seems to think he is god because he can protect his PC so well without AV software, firewall etc. Why not post your IP? Would be interesting to see how safe you really are...
It seems alot of people hate macs for no reason. I have a iPod (20gb 4g) and alot of people always say things like, 'hey this is way better than your ipod'. I'm just like, 'OK', and leave it. But what's with the insecurity? I have never said to someone 'hey my iPod is so much better than *insert name here*...I don't plan to either... Also bugs me how that 5gb mp3 player claims 2.5k songs. This is just not true, surely people want some quality in their songs...Apple don't lie, they say: 20gig - 5k songs. Which is true...
Anyway, guess I'm off topic now...
Also the guy who was laughing at the lack of AGP slots, AGP is outdated now son, why not get PCI-E. Oh yeah, because graphics cards don't use all the bandwidth... They don't even use the full bandwidth of AGP, so you could say that is a waste of time. I suggest you grow up. 'I can build my own PC', well, well done. I can tell you must be going far in life... Seriously. PC's aren't complicated at all. I would even go as far to say that it's impossible to put one together incorrectly. The wires only tend to fit in one place... Not rocket science...

Regards,
Ash

Edit: You also say your PC will outperform any mac. Please post specs and let me laugh.
I really like the way you make yourself out to be highly clever yet you cannot spell simple words and use correct grammar...

[edit on 22-1-2005 by A5H]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
what are the mac minis technical specs

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by A5H

Edit: You also say your PC will outperform any mac. Please post specs and let me laugh.

AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+
Aopen AK86-N MoBo @ 1600mhz fbs
1256 Mb of Kensington extreme gamer @400mhz
ATI Radion 9800 256mb
Sony 12X DVD/ 50Xcd combo burner
Plexwriter 40 CD burner
Full sized server tower modded with lots of blue neon lights and 7 fans
Soyo rapter adjustable 500 watt power supply.
Thermaltak cooling fan for CPU.
6 channel PCI surround sound card with Creative labs speaker setup to match.
19 inch dell monitor.
Windows XP pro w/ SP2

I know you didnt ask me, but I get sick of hearing Mac owners whine that thier PC will tromp mine

When I run Sandra for benchmarking test, I get red in every comparable direction. Run Sandra for Mac and see if you can even come close. And Im talking about a PC that you own, not one you are dreaming of.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   
pfft sp2, sp2 sucks all it does is slow the computer down and bundle other software that we dont need

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sexygeek
pfft sp2, sp2 sucks all it does is slow the computer down and bundle other software that we dont need

Yeah, I know that....Now. Didnt know it whn I installed it. Otherwise, I wouldnt have. Honestly though, the only real difference I have is the firewall reminder pops up every time I boot up. Other than that, the speed hasnt changed. And If sp2 is all you can knock on my system, I must be doing something right

top topics

<<   2 >>

join