It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP: Voters don't elect the nominee...we do!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Political parties, not voters, choose their presidential nominees, a Republican convention rules member told CNBC, a day after GOP front-runner Donald Trump rolled up more big primary victories.

"The media has created the perception that the voters choose the nomination. That's the conflict here," Curly Haugland, an unbound GOP delegate from North Dakota, told CNBC's "Squawk Box" on Wednesday. He even questioned why primaries and caucuses are held.

Story here

This pretty much says it all. The "system" is corrupt, not representative of the people and broken. When the delegates openly refuse to honor the wishes of the people and instead play partisan "establishment" political games it's time for the 'system' to be overhauled, or at least the rules revisited.

When the party line is..."we're here to stay, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it, voters!"...it's time for things to change. The strangle-hold the two-party system has on this country has to be broken.

The notion there is a such thing as an "unbound" delegate in ANY party, democrat or republican, is absurd. The notion that any delegate can knowingly and willingly defy the will of the people is beyond unreasonable.

edit on 3/17/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

the simple solution is...dont vote red or blue...primaries have always been that way btw.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Well I'd like to think most here would already know this. I do find it funny that this fact is not really talked about taught at schools. I can't remember learning about the GOP at school, if it wasn't for my out of school reading and self learning I wouldn't have a clue on them. I mean this is a big part of our system, not just the tail end of the election where we vote who will be come president.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
The point here is not the fact that this is a constitutional republic and not a true democracy. This much is clear.

The point is, that delegates don't have to vote with the wishes of the people (i.e. unbound).

edit on 3/17/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
This is true. But, if they want to keep voters electing them into positions of authority, it pays to very heavily consider their expectations.

They have every right to tell their voters to # off and do whatever they want. And the voters have every right to write their party off and give them about as much relevance as the KKK.

Which let's be honest the KKK has about as much influence as the tooth fairy... probably less so, and the tooth fairy isn't even real.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
This is the whole point.

This could be "crossing fingers " the election where a popular candidate is plowed under by the establishment in favor of their own wishes. It would be a huge wake up call to the people that their opinions are no longer welcome in the political realm.

It does pain me to be a trump supporter but it pains me even more to know that our elections amount to little more than political theater and have been all of my life. It is plain for me to see, but if more see it it is a good thing for the country. Then we can all agree on one thing. The fact that money in politics has destroyed everything we were raised to believe about our representative republic.

I have enjoyed the show. I only wish the collective government would work as hard at fixing their mess as they work on stopping trump. It is eye opening that both sides can come together to squash the " will of the people".

I see a number of folks who "protest vote" for say Mickey Mouse. That is all fine and good and I can respect that. The thing is if Mickey Mouse won the popular vote in a landslide, the government would laugh it off because they justifiably don't have to honor our wishes. Now voting for a living cartoon character like trump really throws a wrench in the gears because the government can't laugh it off. They must go through the motions. This will be very telling if it comes to pass as I hope. Now we just wait.
edit on 17-3-2016 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

top topics

join