It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Higher CO2 Levels be Causing This Major Pollen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I can only speak for here in S.C. We always have lots of pollen this time every year. I don't think I have ever seen it like it is now, it looked like green smog in the air today. My car is yellow, I sprayed it off 3 times today so I could see through the windshield and Im on the beach so there are few trees, its in the air like clouds. Even my boogers are yellow.
Looks like Texas is worse and southern Nevada. It just seems way worse this year.

I have read that increasing co2 levels will make vegetation thrive and grow faster. Maybe because it never got cold here this winter and we have had constant rain ? It looks like in this article, too much co2 will inhibit photosynthesis but a higher level along with enough water and food shows to make the plant thrive.
www.skepticalscience.com...

I like skeptical Science, here is a link about increasing co2.
www.skepticalscience.com...

What do you think, is your pollen out of control right now? I know Im going to get scolded for this one.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Medicator

This is a question for Phage. But it would seem that humans put off Co2. And scientist are starting to see vegetation thriving in of all places, the desert. S&F👍

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Of course CO2 affects pollen. Plants thrive on CO2.

But it could also be the warmer temperatures. The El Niño is even affecting our maples up here in Canada. Less freezing temperatures lead to a decrease in syrup harvest. On your side, warmer temperatures are probably leading to a more successful pollination period in S C.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Living here in SC myself, and I've seen it thicker at this time of the year.

I've seen it vary quite a bit depending on what is blooming, and what is blooming together. Couple that with the wind and the amount of rainfall (as that washes it away from surfaces and out of the air.).

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   

The yellow pollution that you see is pollen from pine trees.

It is typical this time of year and is not a human effect.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I'm guessing the relatively mild winter and timing of the warm-up could have a more intense spring bloom going on (more things in a shorter space of time springing up, as well as individual plants springing more strongly than usual.)

However, elevated CO2 levels might have an impact as well. My aunt came into contact with some poison ivy in her garden a few years back. When she mentioned that it seemed so much worse than she remembered her experience as a child, the allergist she was referred to for treatment told her that poison ivy is generally more potent now than it was 50 years ago when she first had a run-in, due to elevated CO2.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Yes, increased CO2 is wonderful for flora. But I think it has much more to do with it being an intense El Nino year, and things are blooming early and in abundance.

top topics

join