It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6000 year old earth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Hey everyone! Just a thought on the 6000 year old earth. This isn't about creationism, deism, or arguing whether or not a creator exists, but rather about this specific topic alone. I realize this point has been debated over and over, but I do have something I'd like to say on the matter.

I was always taught, since I was a kid, that God's day and years are different than ours. He lives.. on, near, in.. Whatever a star/planet/place that one rotation, as in, a day, takes a thousand of our Earth years.

This would make the "6000 year old earth " theory close to..2190000000 years old.

That's 2.1 billion - Now, some say the 6000 number may be off, some say the 1000 number be off... Regardless, doesn't this make more sense? The earth is.. Billions of years old, even according to the bible...Over 2 billion years actually correlates with our own studies of how old life on earth is ( basic life, but still, the start of life. )

Why are we so high and mighty about ourselves that we think God needs to measure time and space based on our calculations? He probably doesn't care to use "light year" or deem a "year in time" as 365 rotations of the planet earth - Why the hell would he? As I was also taught, since a kid, that he is master of limitless earths, beings, etc... Why are we deeming ourselves so important that any information from God is bound to be in our language, measurements, etc?

Also why are we so determined our dating method is foolproof? Like we can pinpoint some 10-12 digit number to any degree of accuracy? I'm definitely not saying the earth is 6000 human years old, I am saying 6000 years - Adjusted to 2.1 billion human years, is not in any way a false representation of when things on this earth started happening, especially if the two are simply estimates, due to the unreliable nature of The Bible and it's thousands of translations, changes, etc.. and can be assumed to have a margin of error.

Anyways, food for thought! Thanks for reading!

-Deadlyhope

( For the record, I don't really believe in the 6000 year earth myself, in any way. Simply debating the topic for the heck of it. )

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
the 6KYO Earth is the most idiotic notion ever published. The guy who made the calculation was a friggin' atheist FCOL.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

That particular scripture is the ONLY way of rectifying a "6000 year old earth" theory. The more literal interpretation of a 6000 year old earth uses biblical genealogies...which miserably fail at dating anything. Genealogies are never meant to be used as a dating method...

Fossil evidence suggests some of the earliest life on earth formed around 3.5 billion years ago. 2.1b is still a bit off...

Why are we so high and mighty about ourselves that we think God needs to measure time and space based on our calculations?

Those of us who apply logic to topics such as these, don't consider ourselves high and mighty. We understand that IF there were a god(s) he/she/it would, out of necessity, exist outside of the physical realm and thus would not be subjected to any of the physical things we understand...including time. He/she/it would have no concept of time as it's strictly an aspect of OUR understanding of the universe....

Why are we deeming ourselves so important that any information from God is bound to be in our language, measurements, etc?

Again, those of us who apply logic, don't deem ourselves this important. Although, it could be argued that a supreme being could communicate with ANY being in their native language...

I think the more we understand the ancient people who wrote these texts, the better interpretation we will have of what they actually MEANT. Instead, a large portion of believers take words(english words at that) for face value instead of looking to the original and understanding what they meant at the time that they were being written....

A2D

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Does it sau anywhere in scriptures that Gods days are a certain number of earth yers? If not then I guess the argument would be moot.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Coming from 2Peter chapter 3...

But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. 9The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance

It is simply a literary comparison and not a direct correlation. It's pointing out the irrelevance of time to a supreme being....time is, strictly speaking, a human concept.

As another example, Psalm 90:6 "In the morning it [grass] flourishes, and sprouts anew; Toward evening it fades, and withers away." This verse is not saying that grass grows and dies in a single day...but is actually describing the entire life cycle with primitive understanding....

A2D
edit on 16-3-2016 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

Well in that case you could argue according to the Bible that the Earth very well could be 2.1 billion years old.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

We all know which religion believes in the earth being 6KYO and that's fine. That's one aspect of what makes all religions amusing, each in their own special way.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Clocks run at different speeds in different parts of the universe.

That's what Einstein was about.

All those who believe that the rate of the flow of time is constant, and exactly the same as the rate of the flow of time in their personal vicinity, are mistaken.

The Earth is not at the center of the universe in either time or space.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
the 6KYO Earth is the most idiotic notion ever published. The guy who made the calculation was a friggin' atheist FCOL.

actually he was a bishop...

a failed one i believe...

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
With religion, there's no doubt you'll get conflicting views on creation and the origins of mankind. I guess it's all about what you believe in. Whether it's complete form of creation, theistic evolution, or whatever.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   

You could, yes, but you'd be wrong.

A2D

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree

You could, yes, but you'd be wrong.

A2D

Yup

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Forget all the nonsense about how long this planet has been around, if this is a quantum computer we are inside then the turn on date could be 1 fraction of a millisecond ago and the Dinosaurs were already planted into the earth as part of the "sand box" we live in.

When you install and play the latest computer game you don't start out with a blank screen, no all the bits are already in place for you to explore. This would be how the quantum computer would project our environment from the start, time is irrelevant outside of here and the simulation has probably been rebooted with a newer version quite a few times with things added and others removed.

The big question is this..is it multiplayer and are the 2 clowns on the other end of the mice God and the Devil ? has there been a bet to see who wins..Good or Evil ? has God walked away from the screen to tend to other business while the Devil is having his merry way with us ? Lots of questions and I'm hanging on to my seat for the end of the game.

The bit I find fascinating about this concept is when you hear stories of people like The Uber Driver Killer Jason Dalton who claims he was over taken by something that controlled him, sounds a lot like a game where you drop into characters to perform a task then drop back out and into another one.
edit on 16-3-2016 by mazzroth because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2016 by mazzroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: mazzroth

As interesting as it is to ponder, it would be incredibly difficult to discern if we were in such a program/computer.

The bit about people who claim they were "taken over" is simply a cop-out. They weren't taken over...they're just sick and twisted individuals who refuse ownership of their heinous actions...

Here's an interesting video with Martin Rees, who is by all accounts a very hard-nosed realist.

A2D

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
when discussing the young earth, it is not ambigious.
what is being dicussed is the day/night cycle of earth, not gods domain.
you can suggest the 6 days of creation is god days, sure, but the lineage is from the earths day/night/year cycle, so adam living for 900 years is 900 earth years as we measure now.

if you were to use the 1 day = 1k years, then the lifespan of the people in the ot was hundreds of millions of years...no. no no no.

also the earth is approximately 4.6 billion years estimated

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I have to chime in here, I have been taken over. I have witnessed it first hand and its very real..I was lucky enough to not commit any crimes as my wife was there to sort me out. But I often wondered if even .1% of these people who claim the same thing and have gone on to commit heinous crimes were true then its pretty daunting when you ask for what end were they controlled ?

There is a huge list of people who vehemently claim the crime was out of their control, David Richard Berkowitz comes to mind.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: mazzroth

There are people who claim to have seen dragons, sasquatch, faeries, goblins, leprechauns, gnomes...there are people who claim to have been touched by angels, healed by god, possessed by demons...where do you draw the line between what is probably real and what is probably fake?

A2D
edit on 17-3-2016 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I did not realize it had to do with lineage. Like I say, I'm not an advocate of this, simply wanted to discuss and learn.

I heard that carbon dating could easily be flawed because we assume carbon.. Amounts? Have been consistent over earth's existence when it's not a good assumption to make. Does this argument have any validity?

Again, speculation based on biblical texts - some believe before the great flood, the earth didn't receive direct sunlight, and was surrounded by clouds until something happened - say a volcanic eruption, giving the water something to form on and fall..

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Why draw lines?

Personally I believe in an infinite universe, as in... Our nearly 14 billion light years across universe is a tiny tiny amount of space. Basically nothing at all.

Therefore, why wouldn't anything that could possibly, theoretically, within the laws of physics exist.. Not exist?

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Why are we so high and mighty about ourselves that we think God needs to measure time and space based on our calculations?

Because maybe we are. We spent an age with the clock being our scientific paradigm. Philosophies and scientists leapt at the concept and expanded our awareness of how the world worked around us. Pinning down the time has been essential to the advent of our modern world.
So, both 6000 years and two billion years are both conceptual models, models of the span of time. 6000 ish years served well enough for a long time and now another conceptual model has emerged and it emerged from our own exploration, not from what we were told.
I am completely captivated that with all our understanding of these matters of science, we have managed to piece together an astounding conceptual model of existence that was totally out of reach of our studies even a hundred years ago.
It is my understanding the scientists of old did not set out to disprove God, but to prove Him, to discover all the ways and how's of His Creation. Other than the military use, each major new discovery was met with rejection, rejection because it bent some previous belief. So over the ages as we have studied the Workings of God, God, seems to have disappeared. But that is only because it is the old images of God that we hold in our minds is disappearing . But really, God, has now disappeared at all but rather is arrayed before us as never before.
So two billion years old? At least, and as I hold it only flash in the bucket of Total Reality. So there is this clock now, that we have found, and one of the things this ages long clock has let us see is just how freeking huge endlessness is. How we can be as we are even though we dwarf in comparison to it's majesty and timeless nature.
So, are we on our time, or Gods Time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join