It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Wins for Black Lives Matter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

n Tuesday night, two major Midwestern prosecutors lost their jobs after provoking nationwide rage with their handling of cases in which police officers killed unarmed young black people. In Illinois, the loser was Cook County state’s attorney Anita Alvarez, who waited 13 months to bring charges against the Chicago police officer who shot Laquan McDonald 16 times in October 2014. In Ohio, it was Cuyahoga County district attorney Tim McGinty, who oversaw grand jury proceedings that led to no charges being filed against the officers responsible for the death of 12-year-old Tamir Rice. Leon Neyfakh LEON NEYFAKH Leon Neyfakh is a Slate staff writer. Together the two results represent a major victory for the Black Lives Matter movement, whose organizers have now decisively demonstrated their ability to mobilize voters and change the direction of local politics. And while these two races were, technically, only Democratic primaries, the two candidates who won them are expected to take office with minimal or nonexistent opposition after the fall’s general election. It’s rare for incumbent prosecutors to be voted out of office.
www.slate.com... ary.html

There were other elections taking place on super Tuesday that were understandably overshadowed by Bernie vs Hillary and Trump vs everyone else on the Republican side of the game , but quietly things are happening else where and hate em or love em Blacklivesmatter folks are making it happen, they understandably choose not to endorse any presidential candidate but focus on where it matters most, local elections and they also pulled this off.

Ferguson City Council Accepts Consent Decree Worked Out With Justice Department
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I hope they can evolve beyond street protest, and primary the hell out of Politicians.

edit on 16-3-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
For some reason, every mention of BLM causes this tune

to spring to mind.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

The BLM movement can only win when black on black crimes stop happening, everywhere.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

You choose to see them in that matter but I see them thus.

Lyrics By Buju Banton:

How long must our people be a human sacrifice Stand up, defend your rights
Up, up ye mighty race, you can accomplish what you will Stand up, defend your rights

In a day they destroy what took a thousand to build Stand up, defend your rights
You may conquer our land, you never kill the will Stand up, defend your rights
Liberty and democracy are truly expensive And even cost your life
And those who stand for nothing fall for any little thing Father heal the blinded eye

The immortal advantage, they take my people The heavens heard the cry Saviour our calamity is so great Patiently the humble wait To attain freedom Why must there be shedding of blood Is there mo real love Are they still holding a grudge Penal institution to keep us inside Regulating our progress, blocking every forward stride Let the souls of every living being nationwide Feel a shifting of the tide Read more at www.songlyrics.com...

jitombe

The BLM movement can only win when black on black crimes stop happening, everywhere.

We all win when Black on Black white and white crimes etc are eliminated, until then government sponsored targeting of especially minority communities is their focus.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Anita Alvarez needed to go... Not so sure about the guy in the Tamir Rice case. Not nearly as black and white as the Laquan McDonald situation.

Nevertheless, BLM didn't really win anything. The black community is still suffering from out of control violence and social dysfunction. So we got rid of Anita Alvarez... BFD. That won't stop the day to day gang violence that is the real genocide in the community.

I'd have more respect for them if their efforts were directed where it mattered.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Perhaps the BLM leadership realized their efforts would be better served in other arenas, rather than crashing rallies while attempting to commandeer the mic or drown out the speaker people came to hear.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Anita Alvarez needed to go... Not so sure about the guy in the Tamir Rice case. Not nearly as black and white as the Laquan McDonald situation.

Nevertheless, BLM didn't really win anything. The black community is still suffering from out of control violence and social dysfunction. So we got rid of Anita Alvarez... BFD. That won't stop the day to day gang violence that is the real genocide in the community.

I'd have more respect for them if their efforts were directed where it mattered.

Yet it's start in the right direction, if the Black community can't trust the cops then it allows for bad people to take over , and their code of conduct prevails.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boscowashisnamo
Perhaps the BLM leadership realized their efforts would be better served in other arenas, rather than crashing rallies while attempting to commandeer the mic or drown out the speaker people came to hear.

But crashing rallies and being a nuisance is exactly what it took to get folks attention, Blacks folks have been trying to tell America at large for decades about LEO abuse but to no avail, if they were hassled or even killed by the cops armed or not innocent or not it's because they deserved it .

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   

they understandably choose not to endorse any presidential candidate but focus on where it matters most, local elections and they also pulled this off.

That's where to start.
for them.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I remember when I was 5 and I identified with green as my most favorite color.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

And this is how it's done! Voting actually can work, but there's still plenty of corruption. One of the new prosecutors sounds like he's taking a play out of the campaign book to get elected so I don't have much faith in him. But the other one, I think I can believe in her. Either way, it's great to see the former two fired! You're fired! I wonder how Trump feels about this, you know, if someone asked him.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

So to you the BLM movement are Boll Weevil?

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I love Buju!

That is all.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

I love Buju!

That is all.

Truth dat.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
On the other hand, if they are killing each other/themselves at such alarming rates and their communities are infested with crime, violence and murder, I think it is hard for some to to then take BLM seriously.. I'm not saying it is right AT ALL, but it doesn't help the race issue when the people of a certain race don't even care about each other enough to address the elephant in the room. Which is the fact that so many lives are lost unnecessarily within their own communities. And while any cop who does wrong should be held accountable for their actions and is despicable in character, it must be strange being in their position, the ones who work in bad neighborhoods in cities. Day in and day out you see the turmoil and violence and lack of regard for human life, including your own.. years pass, nothing changes.. desensitization occurs and you stop caring about those lives too maybe. I am not saying it is right, and I in NO WAY agree with it, nor am I trying to make excuses.. however I think these things play a role in racism too. I think when BLM addresses only the one issue and not the other they are hurting themselves and selling themselves short. If you want real results you have to make real changes.. these communities need to be united and it needs to come from within. Lock the cops up who do wrong, and chances are that more will continue to come (especially since cops overall have such a bad rap now and are getting attacked too, you'll probably find many less than desirable candidates). Don't give cops a reason to be there to begin with by addressing the insanely high crime rates and levels of violence. The community itself can solve these issues better than outsiders and cops can, but they have got to come to that realization and do something. Show the racists what assholes they are by being better than them and standing against the violence and crime within the community.. you can address more than issue at once. Statistically speaking, we all know which issue is killing more people. Glad that Anita Alvarez is gone though, that whole situation made me so sick to my stomach. Unbelievable.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

But crashing rallies and being a nuisance is exactly what it took to get folks attention, Blacks folks have been trying to tell America at large for decades about LEO abuse but to no avail, if they were hassled or even killed by the cops armed or not innocent or not it's because they deserved it .

You don't get the attention you want when people of all backgrounds travel to an event to see one person. If that is cancelled because a couple of rude, attention seeking women like what happened to Sanders in Seattle, what you get is people pissed at your message.

Is that why these 2 rally crashers and their message was treated so warmly in Seattle?
www.king5.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JustAnObservation

But here is what not being noted, and I had made a thread on this before, if one do not read AA media social and otherwise one would be lead to believe that folks simply closed their eyes to it , this is so because it's boring , who cares other than other blacks if a bunch of blacks is trying to address the issue among themselves it surely do not fit corporate media's ratings protocol of if it Bleeds it leads.

Blacks Don't Protest Black on Black Crimes.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And the communities are not asking cops to solve the problem, they simply don't want them adding to the problem and Police abuse didn't start a decade ago, or thirty years ago even fifty years ago, but stretched waay before then.. yes there are good cops, no doubt, but they are largely silent on the ones that do dirt I have posted on this too, the retribution against them is high, it's the snitches get stitches turned on it's head.
I might add it's not just Bad Cops we have to contend with but corrupt municipalities that leaches off them of which the cops are the visible enforcers.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

Yet it made Sanders address it, look Boscowashinnamo , protest of this sort will piss ppl off and like I said Black folks have been trying to get folks attention for years, what they did was to remind Libs/progressives this is not gonna be a back burner issue, but they didn't invent in your face protest it has a long and distinguished tradition in American politics..sometimes we should be made to feel uncomfortable even pissed.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Yet it made Sanders address it, look Boscowashinnamo , protest of this sort will piss ppl off and like I said Black folks have been trying to get folks attention for years, what they did was to remind Libs/progressives this is not gonna be a back burner issue, but they didn't invent in your face protest it has a long and distinguished tradition in American politics..sometimes we should be made to feel uncomfortable even pissed.

Making people uncomfortable is a tactic movements have used in the past. But attempting to hijack an event to force people to listen to your agenda will not gain you sympathy nor support for your cause. They may find support from the left from progressives or white guilt victims, but you gotta admit crashing a Trump rally will fall on deaf ears and most likely involve violence.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Making people uncomfortable is a tactic movements have used in the past. But attempting to hijack an event to force people to listen to your agenda will not gain you sympathy nor support for your cause. They may find support from the left from progressives or white guilt victims, but you gotta admit crashing a Trump rally will fall on deaf ears and most likely involve violence.

You are correct to a point, it will fall on deaf ears but it will also serve galvanize your side while putting them on notice, we had watch for months now of silent protesters at Trump rallies being spat on shoved about beaten up,blooded and threatened not to mentioned called all kinds of flash point names, and while most decent folks were appalled began to take it for granted that aw it's trump wadda ya gonna do??..here is what! push back!, now folks are afraid of things getting out of hand, yeah it might push does comes to shove after all.
Btw just a reminder the anti-Trump ppl were a heady mix of folks and not just a BLM thing, I am saying this because some think it was.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join