It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ferguson City Council Accepts Consent Decree Worked Out With Justice Department

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Ferguson City Council Accepts Consent Decree
Worked Out With Justice Department

The Ferguson, Mo., City Council has approved a deal with the Justice Department that would overhaul the city's courts and police to protect citizens' rights. The vote comes a month after the council initially refused to accept the plan. "Tonight, the city of Ferguson, Mo., took an important step towards guaranteeing all of its citizens the protections of our Constitution," said Vanita Gupta, head of the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division. "We are pleased that they have approved the consent decree, a document designed to provide the framework needed to institute constitutional policing in Ferguson, and look forward to filing it in court in the coming days and beginning to work with them toward implementation." But the St. Louis suburb, where the fatal police shooting of Michael Brown in 2014 helped spark the Black Lives Matter movement, granted its approval reluctantly. Tuesday's unanimous vote in favor of the plan comes after the council first voted not to approve the decree, which had been negotiated extensively between city officials and the Justice Department.
www.npr.org...

I for one think this is a move in the right direction despite the protest being marred by violence, it took a lot to reach this point, I don't think just kindly asking pretty please with cherry on top would have done it, for Power concedes nothing without demands.
edit on 16-3-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Still,
To this day,
NOBODY has pointed out, until now,
That instead of claiming it was raised hands and don't shoot....
That is was more like.....
Raised hands and aggressively saying,
"WASUP!!!"

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoadCourse

Still,
To this day,
NOBODY has pointed out, until now,
That instead of claiming it was raised hands and don't shoot....
That is was more like.....
Raised hands and aggressively saying,
"WASUP!!!"

When they say the meek shall inherit the earth they meant covered by six feet of it.
edit on 16-3-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

That's one way of lookn at it.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Ferguson City Council Accepts Consent Decree
Worked Out With Justice Department

The Ferguson, Mo., City Council has approved a deal with the Justice Department that would overhaul the city's courts and police to protect citizens' rights. The vote comes a month after the council initially refused to accept the plan. "Tonight, the city of Ferguson, Mo., took an important step towards guaranteeing all of its citizens the protections of our Constitution," said Vanita Gupta, head of the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division. "We are pleased that they have approved the consent decree, a document designed to provide the framework needed to institute constitutional policing in Ferguson, and look forward to filing it in court in the coming days and beginning to work with them toward implementation." But the St. Louis suburb, where the fatal police shooting of Michael Brown in 2014 helped spark the Black Lives Matter movement, granted its approval reluctantly. Tuesday's unanimous vote in favor of the plan comes after the council first voted not to approve the decree, which had been negotiated extensively between city officials and the Justice Department.
www.npr.org...

I for one think this is a move in the right direction despite the protest being marred by violence, it took a lot to reach this point, I don't think just kindly asking pretty please with cherry on top would have done it, for Power concedes nothing without demands.

so, does that mean if someone says in court :I do not consent to the jurisdiction of the court and I do not consent to being bound in contract with this law this court wants to apply to me" does that mean the court will than accept they have no jurisdiction over the person?

If a defendant said I will only consent to being tried for this offense by a jury, then the court would grant them a common law court"

If that's the case then real progress has been made.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

I don't know if it covered all that , but It's a 127pg document when you have some down time maybe you can look it over not sure if I have the time to go over all of it myself but the little that saw is reasonable and that would still count as a win in my book.
edit on 17-3-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join