It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should anyone be afraid of Dying?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
originally posted by: glend

glend: Buddhism see's life and thus reincarnation as suffering. So they are more concerned in trying to escape rebirth (continued suffering) than escaping death.

They understand Karma and how sticky it is; once ensnared is in a repeating cycle (wheel) of correcting and then eventually repeating past life mistakes and correcting them again. The Western World has no idea of this concept (by not recognizing this are they subject to those same laws of Karma)?

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
This is why Lamas lives are so simplified; living segregated in Monasteries avoiding any thought of a tangle ugly family life, procreation or contamination by popular culture. It is curious to me there is no female 'Monk-ess' equivalent.
edit on 16-3-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

Nonetheless most people engage in behavior the contradict life. Such as drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and so on. We risk our lives in all sorts of ways and then relish in having survived.

True, I think most who do are basically attempting to cope one way or another with the realities of life, and so engage-indulge themselves in unhealthy activities basically in denial of the potential health risk involved. Also it seems that if the maturity & consciousness of the species was more health based, many of these mentioned products would not be able to take such a strong hold on the populace.

So I am not sure that many intentionally (although some may) are necessarily seeking to harm or even kill themselves as much as they are just and have been exposed to bad habits that somehow manage to remain resilient among the populations exposed over many years.
This may be the relishing feeling you have described of feeling they are astonishingly still surviving after so much exposure to bad habits...

Fear causes metabolic reactions that many crave to an extent.

Understood

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

In a way being afraid of death does something negative to experiencing life.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

In a way being afraid of death does something negative to experiencing life.

Yes as it can make some attempt to do all they can and step over anyone in their way to get to do all they can. Due to them doubting a better place exist or knowing they have done many ill things here so they try to live life to their Service To Self standards here sensing over there they may have to face re-balancing...

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

Yes karma will occur for everyone regardless of their religion. Murderers will face much pain in an underworld until their karma debt is spent. The greedy much temptation but will never be able to feel, taste or touch. The good among us will live in a higher world but will eventually fall back to a lower world. Only on this plane have we a chance of escaping rebirth.
edit on 16-3-2016 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

One way of understanding Jesus Christ or Buddha is that they no longer related to past lives as related to individuals, but in relation to all lives.

That have ever existed.

They went beyond the point that one particular life was any more important than all lives.

edit on 16-3-2016 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Unfortunately; ("Karma occurs across religions") is hidden knowledge and I have no idea why.
edit on 16-3-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

They exist, look for pictures of bhikkhuni but cultural forces keep males at the forefront. My avatar is of Tara, a female Buddha, mother of liberation, compassion and emptiness.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
There is so much in life that is scarier than death.

Loosing a loved one

Loosing our minds

Being locked up.

Enslaved

Tortured

Rejection is one, and so on.

Death would be a gift compared to things like that. So yeah , it really is not that scary.

Many people knowingly risk death just for fun. I sure have and I will continue to do so.

Fear is just a natural reaction and pain universely sucks. So depending on the circumstances its probably going to be terrifying, but its comforting to know our thoughts will most likely evolve into welcoming death.

Imagine how amazing it would be to realize your consciousness has survived !
edit on 16-3-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Unfortunately; this is hidden knowledge and I have no idea why.

Suspect many cultures saw knowledge as power so guarded it within a small power base.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

They exist, look for pictures of bhikkhuni but cultural forces keep males at the forefront. My avatar is of Tara, a female Buddha, mother of liberation, compassion and emptiness.

Outstanding; I will look for bhikkhuni images. Compassion and emptiness (a dichotomy) very complex!

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

If you are suggesting that if someone doesn't want to get up and sing in front of everyone during karaoke, or if someone doesn't want to experience kingda ka, that they aren't living, then I think you're kind of stretching it and I call BULLSH-T.

When you fear death, you look both ways before you cross the street. POSITIVE.
When you fear death, you wash your hands before you eat and you cook your food. POSITIVE.
When you fear death, you just do things to prevent illness and imminent death from happening.
IT'S ALL POSITIVE.

Can you give me an example... that isn't BS, and that doesn't have to do with a traumatized individual, of which fearing death becomes negative? I'd like to hear it. I guess one could say that when you wash your hands, you are in fact preventing fear, and shedding and erasing fear... but without the fear present to begin with people would be doing all kinds of crazy sh-t and idk if humanity would have made it this far. Maybe I'm being too literal about this.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Unfortunately; this is hidden knowledge and I have no idea why.

Suspect many cultures saw knowledge as power so guarded it within a small power base.

It still happens; the venue/platform has changed. Its all about personal information; how it is collected, stashed and be used to blackmail (all is fair in love and war) NOT.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Fear of death relates to fear of something we cannot control.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

I feel like you completely and utterly just ignored me.

But yes, we must ACCEPT THAT WHICH WE CANNOT CONTROL, and pray for the strength to change the things we can. Without fear. YOU SO SMART! Isn't that the serenity prayer, tho?

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Your Avatar is that of what I find of a very attractive woman. But at the same time there is much to fear of what would happen.

And that can be taken from both points of view.

Death is a part of life even if one is an Atheist one can live again given the reality of the situation.

It may take zillions of years but it can happen again.

Time as a whole that in consideration goes beyond our understanding of it in general.

Moments are infinite; death does not destroy energy it is simply different.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Death opens a door to another possibility of life however one would consider it, given the current standard.

Life after death is life....

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Compassion and emptiness (a dichotomy) very complex!

Emptiness in Buddhism is not nihilism, more so, emptiness of separate essence. So instead of having compassion for the separate drops of water within a river, we should have compassion for the entire river. An excellent book called the tree of enlightenment by Dr Peter Della Santina ((downloadable pdf)) might interest.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Chaos theory has shown that despite perspective even actions of a grain of sand can have purpose to a grander orientation,.

Life reflects an expression of the same process and despite detractors we are a part of nature.

edit on 16-3-2016 by Kashai because: Content edit

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join