It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Video games went the wrong direction

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 03:10 PM
a reply to: Metallicus

If there was no online component, Shooters would fall flat more often than not. It's the multiplayer aspect that is appealing.

That and professional leagues where there's big money to be made.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 03:21 PM
PC gaming is definitely where it is at. Others have mentioned some games I was going to, but to give you a list of some games I enjoy that are (mostly) nonviolent:

Cities Skylines
Kerbal Space Program
Deponia (Many other great point and click adventure games)
Telltale's games (The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, etc.)
Sunless Sea
Cook, Serve, Delicious
To The Moon

I've heard good things about Subnautica and Stardew Valley, but have not played either of them yet.
edit on 3/16/2016 by TycoonBarnaby because: added a game

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 03:27 PM
a reply to: thepixelgarden

Ahhh... The classics.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 04:08 PM
As someone who happily plays violent games as well as creative games as well as relaxing games... Allow me to introduce you to:

Stardew Valley - brand new Harvest Moon clone, it's adorable. Basically, country-life sim. You have a farm, you can go fishing, dig in the mines, meet the villagers, get married, have some children, etc. 2D graphics but still fantastic.

Starbound - same publisher as Stardew Valley, different developers. Still in Early Access but in two more updates and is supposedly ready for the big 1.0 release. 2D, explore planets, expand your spaceship, create villages and populate them, mining, farming, creating, has a little Pokemon feel in it too with capturing some critters and trading them with various NPCs, has multiplayer support. In simplified, people who called Terraria "2D Minecraft" this is basically "Terraria in Space" (but more).

Quantum Conundrum - A few years old now, but still a goody. Very Portal-esque in ways.

Haven't had morning coffee yet, so my brain is still fuzzy. But really, if on PC - just log onto Steam. Choose a category! There are far more than just violent games out there and coming out every week. Just, you wouldn't know they existed because most of them are not done by big AAA companies.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 04:46 PM
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Farmville 2 is actually really good. Not nearly as money-hungry as the first one, and there is much more to do than just wait 4 hours for crops to grow.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 04:49 PM
a reply to: SpongeBeard

Thank you for the recommendation, I will definitely check it out! ^__^

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 04:50 PM
Whoops! How do I delete this post?
edit on 16-3-2016 by thepixelgarden because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 05:12 PM
Space Engineers is a PC game that has occupied a lot of my time. It's in early access on Steam, and has updates every Thursday, with hotfixes on Fridays. It isn't the most stable of games but they've been trying to do a lot of bugfixing and optimization lately.

Sadly, however, the game doesn't have much substance past mining ores and building bases/ships/vehicles. There's only a few different types of "enemies" and none of them are really that engaging, and are more of a random nuisance. I'm hoping for better.

Still, I've spent most of my time in creative building things, sometimes crazy contraptions that wreak havok with the game's physics engine. (Which just so happens to be called "Havok", no pun intended. lol

You can play around with mechanical blocks such as pistons and rotors, you can even write programming scripts to run various parts of your base and/or ships if you know how to code.

Here's a link to my videos I've made.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 05:46 PM
From the sounds of it, I need to look into getting a gaming PC. I have a Macbook, and I swear every time I find something on Steam that I want to play, it's only for Windows.

I really wish consoles would be as diverse as PC gaming. I already spend so much time behind the computer screen, I would prefer to play games on the big screen so that my family could watch. That's what I used to do with the Wii U a long time ago. Lego City Undercover was so fun! Also, there was this awesome game, I forget what it was called, but it was a puzzle game where you played as this cube who navigated obstacle courses. Crashmo was a nice little puzzler, too.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 05:47 PM
I agree games lack substance.
My absolute favourite of all time is final fantasy 7.
But i do love psychological mind screwing games like the silent hill series.

The last SH game only awarded you the best ending if you do not kill a single monster in the game.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 06:15 PM
There's The Long Dark. It does have violence, but it is pure survival so shooting a deer, wolf or bear with a rifle (that is very uncommon and ammo likewise) or with a bow you can craft. Or you'll be mauled by one of the latter two in which case you'll fight for your life, but ultimately the game is focused on exploration and maintenance. Maintenance of your clothing, your tools, you food supplies, your drink supplies and your firewood supplies. Non-material things will also be maintained by you, unless you wish to die such as your hunger, thirst, exhaustion and your body temperature along with watching out for food poisoning and hypothermia and the injuries from any attacks or falls.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 06:25 PM

Maybe you should check out No Man's Sky, and Steam has a ton of indie games that are geared to all kinds of different tastes.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 06:26 PM

If you are looking at getting into a PC, go to a site like pcpartpicker and build your own system. It will be cheaper in the end than buying a package.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 08:37 PM
Same reason why movies, tv shows, and internet webpages don't promote STEM or learning as much as they should.

Entertainment is more profitable.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 09:07 AM
No wonder I can never find anyone to play racing sims online with. Only one mention of it in this thread

Nobody else here into racing sims?

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:10 AM
Consoles and console gamers runied it im afraid.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 11:49 AM
There are worse games.

You could be playing those.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:10 PM

I have to disagree because there are no many non-violent games out there, there's something for everyone, lots of educational games and creative stuff to do, so I don't see a vaild complaint here. I prefer the killing games mostly myself, I'm 44 and I've been into games since I was about 10, starting with the the ZX Spectrum which had a massive 48k of memory hehe.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:17 PM
a reply to: Skid Mark

Oh good Jesus MY EYES!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>