It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News cancels GOP debate after Donald Trump pulls out

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Source

Well it wasn't going to be much a debate with Ted on the stage by himself I suppose. Kasich said he would not show up unless Donald did.

Fox News has canceled its March 21 Republican presidential debate following Donald Trump's decision not to attend, three sources told CNNMoney on Wednesday.

Dan Hayes, the general manager of the Salt Palace Convention Center, which was scheduled to host the debate, said he had "received verbal statements from Fox News" that the debate would no longer be taking place.

Two Fox News sources familiar with the decision confirmed the debate had been canceled.
The cancellation comes after Trump said on Fox News a few hours earlier that he would not attend the debate, leading John Kasich's campaign to pull out as well.

I sorta agree with trump though, 12 debates is enough. He's got to fix the issues he created with the Jewish lobby from the last few weeks, so he's going to them for the evening.

~Tenth
edit on 3/16/2016 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/16/2016 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I see his point as well, and if he did have a prior commitment, it would obviously be more important than another debate.. I doubt any new material would be covered.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustAnObservation

I see his point as well, and if he did have a prior commitment, it would obviously be more important than another debate.. I doubt any new material would be covered.

Exactly, and I usually never agree with Trump, but that last CNN debate was about as civil as it was going to get and they did actually have some really great policy questions that fleshed out their platforms.

Trump didn't say much other than I'll make it great, but he'd have said the same thing on Monday anyway.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Debates debates debates. Ugh. Can't we just vote & get the destruction of America started already?

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Trump doesn't want to be on stage mostly alone with Cruz. That has to be frustrating to Cruz who can beat Trump in a debate.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Trump doesn't want to be on stage mostly alone with Cruz. That has to be frustrating to Cruz who can beat Trump in a debate.

But that doesn't matter. Donald supporters actually think " I'll hire the best people and make it great again" is a policy resolution for problems.

It's not.

He's banking on the fact that people don't want to hear about detailed plans. They want somebody as pissed off as they are to just yell 'all these fools are wrong, and I'm gonna make it better'.

If he can get out the vote like the Democrats did in 2009, then he's going to become POTUS if he can get the nomination.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I just don't see the need for weekly debates. They say the same things over and over again, both debaters and moderators trying for some sort of "gotcha" moment against the other guy with an awkward question that twists the issues: "Have you stopped beating your wife? Yes or No." No candidate has the time to develop a comprehensive answer to a complex subject which makes the answers like Sesame Street sound bites devoid of insightful commentary. The audience is hand picked, usually to embarrass one or the other candidate and the whole thing is just theater. It takes a lot of time to prepare and viewers themselves reach a burnout phase, too.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I agree that the format of the debates is horrible, but I do think debates are necessary.

They ought to be a little more Lincoln/Douglas, a little less Jerry Springer Show.
edit on 16-3-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I agree that the format of the debates is horrible, but I do think debates are necessary.

They ought to be a little more Lincoln/Douglas, a little less Jerry Springer Show.

Yeah the moderators should have rules that indicate that if candidates don't answer questions specifically, and go off on a tangent, they cut their mic and move on to the next questions.

It's the network's fault for allowing them run their mouth and repeat themselves over and over and over again.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
First off...they aren't really debates...they are Q&A sessions.

next...the debates are BS programming events to hang advertising on; all part of the political charade industry propaganda to make the electorate think they matter.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I agree that the format of the debates is horrible, but I do think debates are necessary. They ought to be a little more Lincoln/Douglas, a little less Jerry Springer Show.

True enough, but Lincoln and Douglas had a total of seven debates evenly spaced around the state. Then they stopped debating and referred journalists and others to the written record of their debates when they asked the same questions over and over again.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

This! You're absolutely correct, Trump is full of claims but never elaborates on how he would actually do it. I watched all the video clips on his website on his stances not too long ago out of curiosity. A bunch of nothing. I would definitely agree that Cruz would come out on top in a debate with the two of them.

As to the debates in general, they are a joke as someone else mentioned. I don't care about half of the silly questions asked and when something important does come up, the candidate has what seems like three entire seconds to give their stance. It is ridiculous. I would actually like to, ya know, hear some solid ideas.
edit on 16-3-2016 by JustAnObservation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I think we've already seen enough of these debates to figure out what the game plan is. Enough is enough.

edit on 16-3-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
But is anybody really going to miss another debate? I'm sure as hell not. I haven't even watched any of the others, save for a few clips and readings of articles about them.

I just don't care about the candidates that either side has to offer, so I'm most likely voting Libertarian again.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Of course they cancelled it. The ratings would suck without Trump. He's like the golden goose for media.

And haven't we had enough debates yet?

The only debate at this point I'm interested in is the final one, the one that counts.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Yeah, I've watched most of them, but I'm more interested in watching the general election debates. That will have fire works.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I Quit the debates and really just gave up on US politics all together during the last general election run up when they asked the candidates whether they preferred dancing with the stars or american idol.

And I have no interest in anything that comes out of any of these dirt bags mouths anyway.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Two Men Enter

One Man Leaves

Two Men Enter

One Man Leaves

Two Men Enter

One Man Leaves

Two Men Enter

One Man Leaves

Oh wait, we haven't reached that point just yet, apologies, I'll be here in the shadows, awaiting.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Personally I prefer Monty Python. I can see pretty much the same thing and it's laughable not sad.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

But that doesn't matter. Donald supporters actually think " I'll hire the best people and make it great again" is a policy resolution for problems.

It's not.

He's banking on the fact that people don't want to hear about detailed plans. They want somebody as pissed off as they are to just yell 'all these fools are wrong, and I'm gonna make it better'.

In his defense, no other candidates running for president in the past were able to openly discuss how they were going to make the country great and then follow through with those same plans. they all tell you what you want to hear, then once elected, realize that the system is so badly broken that the only thing to do, is make those around you millionaires and smile for the re-election photos. It's how congress works, it's how the entire political machine works.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join