It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare Cadillac Tax to hit Chevy-class Families Hardest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
You remember the Cadillac Tax part of Obamacare that was supposed to hit only the rich? Well, its about to kick in, and its not going to kick the rich one bit. The middle class? They get it right in the a__.

As with so many other things in the “Affordable Care Act,” the law’s so-called Cadillac tax is grossly misleading. Democrats who wrote the law claimed that the tax was meant only to discourage a small share of gold-plated health plans offered to high-priced executives. When it kicks in, it will impose a huge, non-deductible 40% surcharge on insurance premiums above $10,800 for individuals and $29,100 for families.

It gets better...

The implication of it all was that only the rich would notice any changes. But a new study published in the International Journal of Health Services shows that middle class families — those with incomes between $38,000 and $100,000 — will bear the brunt of the Cadillac tax.

"If you like your doctor you can keep him". (even if that was true, you wont be able to afford him any more)

link

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

A $29,100 premium for families? I was bitching and moaning when mine went to over $1k a month, or $12k a year. I'd be broke if I had to pay 2.5 times what I pay now. I can't even see work provided policies costing as much.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: peter_kandra

A $29,100 premium for families? I was bitching and moaning when mine went to over $1k a month, or $12k a year. I'd be broke if I had to pay 2.5 times what I pay now. I can't even see work provided policies costing as much.

That is the total cost of the premium, not just the employee responsibility.

Obama took steps to make sure this wont start until after he leaves office. Sadly, it will likely take a full repeal of obamacare to get rid of this huge burden to the already devastated middle class.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

There is no enumerated power to compel individuals to purchase anything in order to remain a law abiding citizen. But just in case there is any doubt:

Amendment XIII Section 1.

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

I vote that the assets of the traitors be seized and that they be exiled from all US soil. But that is just my vote.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

I vote that the assets of the traitors be seized and that they be exiled from all US soil. But that is just my vote.

Don't they still have a gallows somewhere? We could sell tickets to the public hanging and fix that nasty old national debt issue.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Did anybody actually believe that the "Rich" were going to be taxed more? I mean seriously in the last 25 years how many presidents have actually taxed the rich like they said they would during their campaign? These people are not about to bite the hand that feeds them. The rich just got them elected it time to pay back your homies.

This is all by design, tax and destroy the middle class until there is no middle class. Soon it will be the super rich and the people who need the handouts from the super rich to survive. That or revolution.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Is that set to kick in in 2017?

Barack and Michelle will probably be laughing it up on some private beach somewhere and couldn't be bothered with the sh*t trail they left behind.

They will be raking in "speaking fees" just like the Clintons from their family foundation due to kick into high gear January 2017.

This is the way of the Democrat.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

Obama took steps to make sure this wont start until after he leaves office. Sadly, it will likely take a full repeal of obamacare to get rid of this huge burden to the already devastated middle class.

I understand. I have a private policy and pay for my own family coverage at about $1,050 a month...just 3 short years ago it was $468. I just can't see any policy costing over $29k per year. I'd love to see the coverage it comes with!

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
What middle class american has health care plans that expensive? I'm not saying some middle class Americans don't have them, just seems outrageous. What myself and the company I work for pay total/yr for my Family health insurance plan is right at $10000/yr. A family plan has to cost more than $27,500/yr to be required to pay this tax. Does anyone have an example of how this new tax will affect them?

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

This is a huge problem. The way it was written and implemented you cant just repeal Obamacare. Everyone should know this. The old plans and cost are gone. If it was repealed the cost wouldn't go down. Think about the fuel surcharge on Airline tickets and such. They are still in the bill but the price of gas is lower. Obamacare was written so it couldn't be taken down with out being written into a single payer system.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Bludgeon to death by pool noodles would work well and be a long suffering beat down in the process. Nickel a whack would get that $20 Trillion before they all died.

But someone might make a point about months long beat downs with open cell foam as cruel and definitely unusual.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

Many companies subsidize the health insurance plans. The part that you pay as the employee is not the actual cost. That is just your portion. The employer is usually paying the same or some other amount that you don't see. Many union employers have these "cadillac" health plans. This is why the unions were so upset with Democrats and Obama post poned the implementation.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Many companies subsidize the health insurance plans. The part that you pay as the employee is not the actual cost. That is just your portion. The employer is usually paying the same or some other amount that you don't see. Many union employers have these "cadillac" health plans. This is why the unions were so upset with Democrats and Obama post poned the implementation.

Incorrect my employer is paying $600/month and I'm paying $225/month which is $825/month. $825 * 12 = $9900/yr

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
What squarely middle classer has a $30,000 HI premium? I'm smelling some cow excrement here, mathematics & words aren't adding up. One or the other is being highly manipulated/deliberately misleading. Probably for the reactions.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

If your family plan is over $27,500/yr there has to be some crazy health conditions or their health plan is extremely bloated and most likely under-utilized in my opinion of course.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

Exactly and yet still Bernie supporters are lurking

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
It wasn't hard to see this coming. I'm not the brightest guy in the world and I could see it coming.

I think now is a good time to stand back and reflect on all the lies that were told to the American people to sell this debt slavery program. And we should remember all the pro-slavery posters on ATS who pushed these lies then, and continue to try to sell these lies to this very day.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd

originally posted by: Edumakated

Incorrect my employer is paying $600/month and I'm paying $225/month which is $825/month. $825 * 12 = $9900/yr

I didn't say yours specifically is a Cadillac plan. However, there are some employers, particularly those with bloated union contracts, that have these crazy health insurance plans.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
This shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

I tried to go to the link and open the pdf of the study from sage journals but it wanted me to login and apparently I'm too lazy to sign up. I would be interested to see the study though.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

Generally, a lot of those plans are part of union contracts. Employers pay a large chunk of that premium, but the family will likely get hit with that tax, either that or the employer will simply drop the plan.

<<   2 >>

join