It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vermont Legislature On Track to be First in US to Legalize Marijuana

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Vermont Legislature On Track to be First in US to Legalize Marijuana

As other states who have legalized it have done so by voting.

Vermont Legislature On Track to be First in US to Legalize Marijuana MONTPELIER, VT —

Liberal-leaning Vermont could become the first U.S. state to legalize recreational marijuana use through legislation, rather than by voter initiative, in a move that advocates for the drug say could speed its acceptance across the nation. State representatives this month are set to take up a bill passed by the state Senate […]

Source
I believe it was said that if Oregon was successful in legalization, which it was, it would help the legalization nationally. Looks like this may help as well.

It's shared by Reuters originally to the mainstream, not sure why they have to push partisan politics into it because Libertarian leaning people(Free State Project) support legalization as well though am guessing because of the politicians supporting the bill. I'll let local VT members weigh in on that.

Local VT news on the story;

MONTPELIER, Vt. - There was a history making vote in Montpelier Wednesday. The Vermont Senate gave preliminary approval to a bill that would legalize recreational marijuana in Vermont. Vermont's lawmakers could become the first in the country to legalize marijuana through the Statehouse rather than the ballot box, but despite Wednesday's milestone, the debate is far from over. By a narrow 16-13 margin, Vermont's Senate became the first in the country to greenlight a bill legalizing marijuana. In other states, it was voters, not lawmakers opening legal markets.

Source- WCax

Interesting to see how this plays out. Apologies as I wasn't sure where to place this.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Liberal-leaning Vermont could become the first U.S. state to legalize recreational marijuana use through legislation, rather than by voter initiative

Why are they celebrating putting the cart before the horse? Who cares what the legislators say when the voters make up the populace?

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ghostrager

Liberal-leaning Vermont could become the first U.S. state to legalize recreational marijuana use through legislation, rather than by voter initiative

Why are they celebrating putting the cart before the horse? Who cares what the legislators say when the voters make up the populace?

I suggest looking into why it's not legal in California but it is in Washington State and Oregon to the north. A lot of the oppositional vote turned outs and advertising against it-if not by concerned people for it conflicting with medical patient laws and more which is a smaller crowd- was bought and paid for.

These legislators, even in those four legal states, have a heavy hand in the marijuana laws.

The move follows a year of hearings in the Senate that lawmakers say allowed them to closely consider appropriate limits to place on the drug's use. The current proposal would prohibit users from growing plants at home and ban the sale of edible products containing marijuana extracts.

-From the main source.
edit on 16-3-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Because it is Vermont and their leaders see a dollar to be made. They do not care what the populace want and will not give them the opportunity to vote on it.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
marijuana is the next cash cow for the government!!!!

Cigarettes are not making as much as they used too so the next cash crop is marijuana. I believe in will eventually be legal in all of America

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Who cares what the legislators say when the voters make up the populace?

Because the voters put them in office and it looks like they are being proactive for once on what policy changes the voters actually want.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Filthy libs pushing Satan into our lives. True Freedom means the Feds telling you what you cannot do.

~Just kidding!~ I'm jealous of their freedoms (does that make me a terrorist?)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Who cares what the legislators say when the voters make up the populace?

Because the voters put them in office and it looks like they are being proactive for once on what policy changes the voters actually want.

Thanks, exactly

join