It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Playstation VR Price Revealed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Well, I've been waiting patiently to see what the price of the PSVR would be, and it turns out it's about what I expected.

It's 399.99 US / 549.99 CDN. - Extra for the camera and move controllers.

The one thing I really don't like is I was expecting it to be released mid/late june (Q2) and it's pushed back to sometime in October.

Guess I'll have to re-schedule my holidays...

I've been waiting a long time for VR! I still remember strapping on the headset for Dactyl Nightmare back in the early 90's!

I'm glad it's almost here!

I was considering getting either the Vive or the Rift, but the TCO on those is really expensive!

With the TCO of the PSVR being about half, I'm really hoping for the best.

Playstation Blog Page.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I can't wait to see reviews, it seems to have some crazy technology. Even though it's 1080p they claim the screen door effect is less than Oculus and I really want to see how this is done.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
The price-point for the PSVR will help out tremendously. What I'm looking forward to is an ultra-hd display that wont take up the whole room.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I also pretty excited for this also! I want No Mans Sky In VR....would be soooooo cool.
I wouldn't mind a really good fantasy mmo in full VR or a first person dark souls style game.

I haven't experienced VR first hand but I heard it can be nauseating for some people. The shift from 8-16bit games to 3D games on PC,Nintendo 64 and the first PlayStation had that effect on me due to the moving camera and land scapes some games would make me want to puke and give massive headaches. Being a stubborn person I just muscled through it because I loved gaming so much and it's no longer a problem for me! So hopfully I've trained my inner gamer enough to handle VR right out of the box.

550$ Canadian a lil steep but if I sock away some cash now it shouldn't be a problem getting it at release.

a reply to: gspat

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slanter
I can't wait to see reviews, it seems to have some crazy technology. Even though it's 1080p they claim the screen door effect is less than Oculus and I really want to see how this is done.

I seem to remember that that claim was for the rift's SDK2 version.

What's really making me curious is, if the vive and rift are twice the price, are they twice as good?

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: HAARPO
The price-point for the PSVR will help out tremendously. What I'm looking forward to is an ultra-hd display that wont take up the whole room.

I bought a UHD TV almost a year and a half ago... If I hadn't upgraded the video in my computer, I'd still not have any 4K media to play on it!

I don't think display size for them will get too much smaller... The extra resolution gives you the ability for more distance from it without visible degradation (at least that's the claim I read).

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I am happy and sad at the same time over this.

I always wanted to be able to hold an imaginary gun in my hand while I ran around a completely fictional war space shooting at other players. But as the time has passed me by I no longer want to do any running. But virtual reality is still big in my fantasy for video games. Just being able to turn my head to turn the camera is what I have always wanted. But now that I am older? Once again I only see it as more frustrating than it is worth. Why? I sit in a chair when I play games. So I can only imagine myself being able to only turn my head just a tad. Honestly think about it. You'd would really be able to move forward in the game for it to be a comfortable experience. Let alone tripping over # in your living room trying to play a game. Or accidently knocking something over. It is kind of sad really.

But the price point? Makes me even more sad. You could easily create an app that only relays an image from the ps4 unit to your smart phone. And then sell a special head strap add on so it sits comfortably in front of you. Maybe even a tablet for a bigger and higher field of view? Honestly I don't see project Morpheus changing the way we play games until we have a huge area to use it in. I live in an apartment and... It is very small. So again I am saddened by this.

But I am happy it is much cheaper than the PC version.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Question, not sure if anyone knows. But is the camera and PS Move controllers from a PS3 compatible to a PS4?

If so the CDN price of around $1100 (ps4 + vr headset) is somewhat attractive for a good VR set up.
edit on thpamWed, 16 Mar 2016 08:17:47 -0500k1603America/Chicago1617 by Sparkymedic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I play a WHOLE lot of simulator games, so VR sets like Oculus and Vive are what i've been hoping for for ages. I've been planning on building a cockpit mock-up with multiple Monitors to get a 120 degree view, so strapping on a headset that will give me full cockpit immersion for the price of one decent gaming TV is exactly what i've been hoping for... my only problem is if the screen door effect is noticeable then it'll kill immersion. In all honesty, I think i'll have to wait for the next generation of VR to get it.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: gspat

I am going to have to test any headset before I buy it, I'll wait if I have too, I ain't dealing w screen door that wont be apparent in the next models, don't feel like being the crash test dummy paid beta tester for the bajillionth time.
edit on 16-3-2016 by Lysergic because: lh lk hkjh;kljl;

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I actually own a DK2 and have the Vive on preorder for April (did have a Rift CV1 on order, but cancelled once I got my Vive order in). The upshot is, it's really hard to explain just how good it is without you actually experiencing it for yourself.

I had a go on the DK1 way back in 2014 with the Razer Hydra (magnetic resonance-based controllers) - and even back then, I was gobsmacked just how good it was. Sure, the resolution (and screen-door) was terrible, but that feeling of immersion and of being there completely wipes that from your mind. Graphical fidelity is far less important than the immersion.

The key thing with VR is the framerate. If it's 75fps or over, then you pretty much eliminate most of the motion sickness factor when using what are called 'comfortable' demos - things that aren't going upside down etc. However, even at a high fps, if you're doing something like a roller coaster and are prone to feeling a bit sick on stuff like that anyway, then it'll be no different in VR; as your brain believes you're actually doing what you're seeing.

That said, I love it. The DK2 has less of a screen door, but the resolution isn't enough to read fine text at a distance, so games like Elite are amazing, but it can be hard to view some of the readouts. This'll change with the consumer versions of Rift and Vive, where the resolution is higher and the screendoor is all but eliminated unless you really focus on the pixels.

Someone mentioned flight sims above - I tried DCS world recently on my DK2. It's amazing - nothing like it - BUT - you need a serious rig to run this stuff in VR. I could only achieve frame rates of 60-70 which results in juddering and can be off-putting - but even so the feeling of actually being in the aircraft is unsurpassed. Same goes for Project Cars or Dirt Rally (although these run much, much better) - particularly with flight sticks or force feedback wheel respectively. For reference my rig is an i7 4790k with a GTX 980Ti, with 64Gb of memory. You'll need at least a GTX 970 card to get anywhere with VR on a PC.

That's why the PS4 announcement is so exciting - it's going to bring VR to a much wider audience. Exciting times!

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Rockpapershotgun have just done an excellent write up on the vive which gives a really good overview on what it's actually like, including things like the screen door effect, which you might find interesting.

www.rockpapershotgun.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
For those who don't want to run around a physical space while playing VR games I wonder if this might be a solution:

Maybe take something like a dentists chair that can rotate 360 degrees only instead of a foot rest down by your feet, you would have pedals similar to gas and brake. "gas" pedal for forward movement and "brake" pedal for backward movement. No pedal depressed would be "stop" You would still hold and aim a "gun" and look around by turning your head. Turning your head left or right to a 90 degree angle in relation to your body would begin a physical turn of the chair as well as a turn in VR world. You could then slowly change and finally stop the turn by centering your head again.

Seems like this would be awesome for VR driving games too with the addition of a steering wheel. In this case, the chair would not need to rotate. With a nice field of view and the ability to look around as you would while driving a real car.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: gspat
What's really making me curious is, if the vive and rift are twice the price, are they twice as good?

Depending on how you are measuring "good".

My measurement of what makes it good would have it hundreds of times better than the console vr, because of a couple different programs that convert your games in steam and such to VR ready games..
PSVR will allow you to play a very limited selection of VR games built from the ground up for VR..and thats good, but no fallout 3/nv/4 or skyrim..no duke nukem forever, secondlife, or a million weird and neat things indie developers and hobbiests are putting up on the oculus store for free or cheap.

And like how VCR was top over Beta even with beta being better, how Microsoft was better than Apple even though apple was graphically superior back in the day, etc etc...we learn its all about the content..always about the content.

the headsets are far better graphics, but at the risk of some unstable framerate issues (depending on your hardware setup), but what truely makes it top is yep..all the titles.

new topics

top topics

join