It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentine Navy Sinks Chinese flagged Fishing boat....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

A Chinese flagged fish boat was sunk while trying to evade and even ram a navy patrol boat teusday....
I think much more of this kind of action is in the offing over the next few years....
With the claiming of artificial islands by China, in disputed waters of the S China Sea, they have opened the ball on a whole complicated mess
of trouble over what countries can do on the high seas, and who exactly owns what.....I think this is part of the backlash starting....

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — Argentina's navy announced Tuesday that it used gunfire to sink a boat flying the Chinese flag that was fishing illegally in national waters.

The navy statement said the boat was intercepted Monday off the coast of Puerto Madryn, about 907 miles (1,460 kilometers) south of Buenos Aires.

The statement said the boat did not heed warning calls and instead tried to ram an Argentine naval vessel. Sailors then shot holes in different parts of the fishing boat, causing it to sink, the navy said.

All four people on board were rescued and arrested. They remained in custody and were to go before a federal judge in southern Chubut province, the statement said.

The navy said it had been 15 years since one of its vessels last sank a foreign vessel fishing illegally in Argentina's waters.

edit on 15-3-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
..........and nothing?

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Cada dia te quiero mas

oohhhhh Argentina

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

www.cnn.com...

Argentina's coast guard says it sank a Chinese fishing vessel that was fishing in a restricted area off the South American country's coast.

The Argentine Naval Prefecture chased and eventually sank the Lu Yan Yuan Yu 010 vessel after detecting it illegally fishing within the country's exclusive economic zone, officials said Tuesday.

First, according to a statement from the coast guard, warning shots were fired. The Chinese vessel, Argentine authorities said, responded by turning off its lights and deliberately trying to crash.

Kind of an interesting response by the Chinese crew...

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Nifty, there's video...

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert
It looks like you should have written the OP. Good job.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Well, it was an interesting story that deserved more than the blank slate. Thought I'd help haha

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Perhaps a decent interval would have been appropriate but thanks partner...(you get half the stars....)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Haha no worries. I just thought it was interesting. Wouldn't have seen it without the thread probably.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   
You did a great job, too! Don't you hate hitting the enter button early?

I wonder what China's going to do about this.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
That fishboat looks to be rigged to kill off half the ocean.....see those pulleys all along the sides?
theyre fishing rods.....id bet they have multi hooks on each too......
I live in a fishing harbour...the wholesale slaughter is horrendous...if amazing to the uninitiated....
The waste is at least half again what the catch of the day may be usually....that explains the sea gulls following the boats as they fish...we throw our by catch back even if half die out there.......they keep every scrap of fish or whatever they get...
I would have liked to see what they had aboard.....

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Here's a similar story from last year.
fis.com...

The Naval Prefecture from Argentina (PNA) caught a Chinese flagged vessel that was fishing for squid (Illex argentinus) without a permit in the Argentina's Exclusive Economic Zone.

The ship, Hu Shun Yu 809, was arrested at Camarones Bay, off the province of Chubut, in the framework of a coordinated operation by the Department of Homeland Security, and more than 600 tonnes of squid were seized.

The Prefecture reported that during the patrols, crew from Derbes Coast Guard, belonging to the PNA detected a radar echo of a ship with the fishing lights on that was carrying out tasks at three nautical miles west of the outer line and inside the EEZ.

Noting that the coastguard was approaching, crew from the Asian jigging vessel turned off the lighting system, so the Derbes intercepted it.

That's a lot of squid...

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Sinking the ship seems a bit over board although they are in their rights to do so of course. And other than complain their is not much China can do about it.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

It is an interesting case but would likely not have reached international media attention if the illegally operating vessel had not been chinese owned.

Argentine could have been as powerful as the US but after a century of corruption in government much as has been endemic throughout south and central america that opportunity was squandered and even destroyed by such as the Peron's and the military junta.

However while I have my disagreements with Argentina over the Falklands island's I would dearly love to see them rise back to a position of economic and regional power so stabilise the southern hemisphere and form a resurgenat south american economy as was there rightfull position, once the seventh richest nation on the planet and the other America of opportunity that dream was lost but maybe not buried.

I don't think China will be bothered really, probably apologise or even bring there own charges against the crew of the fishing boat for this illegal act of oceanic poaching as of course China is currently cosying up to many south American country's in order to forge new trade and economic ties as they force there presence onto the pacific stage so trouble and bad relation's with Argentine are probably the last thing they want.

It is up to the US and also the west in general if they wish to counter the chinese economic encroachment of South America but of course our nation's being today corporate run countrys with our democratic systems now totally subverted that simply will not happen and China will only be stopped when they start to harm the corporate interest's upsetting the elite capitalist's whom control and own the politicians whom only then will have there string's pulled by there owner's.

You will see more of this illegal activity by China.

edit on 16-3-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I think you are right, Labtech...we likely will see more of this poaching activity by China and others...

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Well, illegal and over-fishing is killing off the oceans. The Chinese are guilty of massive wilful ecological destruction at home and abroad. Look at the plight of any animal that has the misfortune of ivory!

As this problem grows we are likely to see more of this. I wonder when they will start to target the last vestiges of ocean's richness, such as around "safe" marine reserves. Take Pitcairn for example, the biggest marine reserve recently created by the UK. In a desert ocean, places like Pitcairn may need to be proactively policed.

Pitcairn reserve

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Asia as a group have been considered the poachers but western nations too are dragging down the oceans ability to
rebound.....
Commercial fishing must be curtailed soon or it will be too late.....
And who in their right mind wants farmed fish?

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Argentine Navy Sinks Chinese flagged Fishing boat.

Did they check to ensure it was Chinese first?

Might just be someone masquerading as or using as a Chinese vessel to make mischief between China and Argentina so that Argentina can choose to be, or be pressured into supporting someone either now or in the future. I reckon sooner or later various countries will get the acid put on them to choose sides in the South China Sea.

To someones way of thinking a little of 'facilitating' opinion might go a long way.

Mind if it was a Chinese vessel it would be interesting to find out why it was there. Strange that a fishing vessel would try to ram a milit-tree vessel, a gun boat? Smells a bit off to me.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

2 points :

1 - the chinese have not issued a denial

2 - the vast majority of the crew [ 28 as opposed to 4 rescued by the argentine navy ] were rescued by " another chinese vessel "

with regard to point 2 - wasnt that fooking fortuitous ? - in the entire south atlantic - there just happened to be another chinese boat that could render timely aid

i think i now need sarcasm reduction therapy

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
Asia as a group have been considered the poachers but western nations too are dragging down the oceans ability to
rebound.....
Commercial fishing must be curtailed soon or it will be too late.....
And who in their right mind wants farmed fish?

Very true

Even after EU quota and membership trouble sometime's flares up between fisherment of different nations, the UK has some of the best shellfish in the world (but we don't eat them) and they are usually exported to europe and further afield.

Portuguese, Spanish, French and on occasion even the odd dutch fishing vessel has come into conflict with English vessels in our waters which the french can say the same of English fishing vessels in there water's.

It is a ridiculous state of affairs but in a time when fish stocks are depleted and livelihood's hang by a thread you can see how for these fisherment it is litterally a matter of life and death.

The real problem is when fishing is done in an illegal fashion, young fry are caught and not allowed to grow to maturity and areas of over fished by factory trawlers mainly from Japan and China but no one is innocent in this matter.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join