It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Liberal Racism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

This guy has got to be a troll

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

The issue is far too many people think that liberals=good and conservative=bad.

I think that is a misnomer. Seems reasonable to say that, in general, liberals think conservatives are bad and visa versa. It's a two way street.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla
a reply to: veracity

This guy has got to be a troll

I really am wanting to believe that! But, there are many people out there who really do believe this way, so unfortunately it would not surprise me if they were not a troll at all. Which truly saddens me, but all one can do is try their best to "level" with them and educate them so that perhaps they will have a clearer understanding and stop the spread of ignorance.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
White liberals can be very racist. They are very patronizing and paternalistic. Honestly, I don't even think most realize it. It is like the treat minorities like a little five year old patting him on the head.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Racism is a sad and disappointing reality in the left and right wing.

Threads like this, where fingers are pointed and there is a passive-aggressive attempt at blaming one side more than the other are just another cog in the machine of perpetual racism.

Ignoring it and not talking about it is not a method of fixing it, I know, but this method of discussion--where blame is attributed to only one group of people--is intellectually dishonest and does nothing but stir the pot of hatred.

Dr. King is right--we need to stop focusing on doing things that integrate everyone under one umbrella just because it is the law, or because we are told it's right, and we need to actually find it in our core of what it is to be a human being that we are all people, and should be treated justly and equally.

It's really not a hard mindset to have, except for when threads like this and the vitriol of racist political rhetoric rear their ugly heads and focus people's attention on the fake root of the problem.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I am so guilty of treating people (of all races) who I admire like this I think - thanks for pointing out how annoying it is x)

Though I think it also stems from being around so much ignorance 24/7 that when I find a clear-minded, educated person I just want to thank them to the moon and back for not being an idiot.

I see where you're coming from though, and I don't doubt there are people who act this way because they think it's how you're supposed to treat minorities. That minorities need constant sympathy and aid because they can't do good without a white persons guidance and praise. Which seems rather racist, considering it's almost like implying "hey, you are lesser, let me give you a star for tying your own shoes this morning!" ..Or like the poster/(troll?) I addressed earlier, who is apparently a white person who thinks only white people can be racist and only minorities can be victims, and therefore sides with minorities regardless of their character - which again seems kind of ignorant considering minorities are not all the same and there are bad apples among them too. To group them all together and paint them as the "victims" - damn racist in my eyes. It is mind boggling.

One of my close friends always had the same complaint, he hated the pity-party that was thrown his way day in and day out. He was quite wealthy and successful in life, so he didn't need anyone feeling sorry for him just because he was black.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustAnObservation

I am so guilty of treating people (of all races) who I admire like this I think - thanks for pointing out how annoying it is x)

Though I think it also stems from being around so much ignorance 24/7 that when I find a clear-minded, educated person I just want to thank them to the moon and back for not being an idiot.

I see where you're coming from though, and I don't doubt there are people who act this way because they think it's how you're supposed to treat minorities. That minorities need constant sympathy and aid because they can't do good without a white persons guidance and praise. Which seems rather racist, considering it's almost like implying "hey, you are lesser, let me give you a star for tying your own shoes this morning!" ..Or like the poster/(troll?) I addressed earlier, who is apparently a white person who thinks only white people can be racist and only minorities can be victims, and therefore sides with minorities regardless of their character - which again seems kind of ignorant considering minorities are not all the same and there are bad apples among them too. To group them all together and paint them as the "victims" - damn racist in my eyes. It is mind boggling.

One of my close friends always had the same complaint, he hated the pity-party that was thrown his way day in and day out. He was quite wealthy and successful in life, so he didn't need anyone feeling sorry for him just because he was black.

My favorite is when some white person says to me, "You are so articulate..." Kind of like how Joe Biden did Obama pointing out how he was "clean and articulate". Like, WTF? Did you really think all black people speak in broken english or ebonics and walk around with our pants hanging off our ass?

My wife always laughs about how when she was in high school, a teacher recommended her for some kind of mentoring program that was clearly designed for poor minority kids. She was one of the few blacks I guess in her class. Anyway, this was hilarious as my wife's father was a Wall Street banker. Teacher just assumed because she was black, she was need of some mentoring.

All people can be racists. I know plenty of black people who hate white people. Being black, I've seen my fair share of racism, both direct and indirect.

However, at the end of the day, I don't let ignorance run my life. There will always be racist people. Nothing anyone can do about it. I don't expect everyone to like me. However, I rather someone just outright call me a whatever racist name to my face. At least that way, I know where they stand.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Lol - I could understand if it was more along the lines of "Hey, I think you have great thoughts/ideas" or general admiration for a persons wisdom in a world where it is lacking (though if it is only being said because of the persons race that is a whole different story). But to comment on someone being articulate just because of the stereotype of how "a black person talks" is ignorant. It's akin to believing all white people act like the redneck/"trailer trash" groups and praising the ones who aren't idiots for their ability to talk in a coherent manner. That would get annoying so fast..

About your wife, I hope she corrected that teacher, he should feel like an absolute moron. He ought to be the one in a mentoring program.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

And what of those who believe in equality because it is just, because anything less than equality is injustice, and because they believe in the wider brotherhood of all humankind? What of those who want everyone to have what they need, regardless of their status or skin colour? What of those who believe that our differences are irrelevant when compared with our similarities?

Do they fall into the category of persons who could be considered racist, despite their support for all forms of equality?

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

When has anyone ever heard a person of color say anything like:

"I so admire you white people, you're so great."

They feel the same way about us and just as often.

Probably more since they're more likely to encounter us more places.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

So that I can better understand your stance, I am wondering how you would define equality in your own words/examples? It is surprising how many different definitions there are for the concept of equality.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: JustAnObservation

Equality:

Where all members of society have equal rights and responsibilities under the law, and are treated as equals by all other members of that society, AND where none are permitted to treat others as second class citizens, for any reason, under any guise, either overtly or covertly and no matter how that treatment is justified in the eyes of the individual responsible for it.

Does that answer your question?

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Absolutely, and I entirely agree with that definition, thank you.

The reason I asked is only because many people I engage with seem to think that equality means we are all actually equal in terms of character and abilities and should therefore receive the same things despite people being unable to contribute equally.

But people should absolutely have the same rights and opportunities and NO one should be viewed as second class or be treated as less. As I said, you are entirely correct, and it is the only just thing to do.
edit on 16-3-2016 by JustAnObservation because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join