It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Late night musings...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Anyone ever get those odd questions pop into their head about things that never really noticed before? Maybe we could share them here?

Here's one I had the other day..

Why are our address organized from most specific to least specific?

House number, street, city, state.

Why aren't our address formatted and organized from large to small, to zero in on our location? Like this: state, city, street, house #?

Then I realized...if you use the last 4 numbers after your zip code, you probably don't even need an address anyway. That zip + 4 probably is sufficient to get mail delivered!

Anyone know why we organize our addresses like that? Anyone else have some "Hm..." questions or musings on things they've found interesting? I guess you'd call them "shower thoughts" or something too.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
WOW!

I think you have just revolutionised the postal system!

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
How do plants know that insects exist. For pollination etc. How do they know that wind exists for seeds to be carried away !!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent
How do plants know that insects exist. For pollination etc. How do they know that wind exists for seeds to be carried away !!!!

They took a botanical class

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Ha ha Nice one old bean a reply to: secure

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Way back in the day the post office went to OCR and the easiest sorting was Zip (the "+4" was added later).

This is a computer algorithm sorting question: Here is a deck of cards, what is the fastest way to sort it? Most people would start their sort by suit then by numerical order. The most efficient method to sort the cards is by number first (Ace thru Queen) then by suit.

So the post office does it by Zip+4 to bag all the mail for that destination before any other processing (sorting). That way all the mail for one neighborhood ends up with the correct mail persons instead of across town! FedEx does the same but ships all packages to a mail hub, then sorts, then ships to your location--even if the package already went through your town!

I wonder why they still make DVDs! Do they even make lo-def TVs any more? If not, why make DVDs???

[ETA: The easiest handwriting to decipher is the zip code so it is kind of read backwards: zip, state, city, street/address, person's name]

edit on 15-3-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: clarity of thought

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Anyone know why we organize our addresses like that? Anyone else have some "Hm..." questions or musings on things they've found interesting? I guess you'd call them "shower thoughts" or something too.

Well, I think the arrangement was in the days of quiet order, and when most people lived in the same country, but different towns, it probably made sense.

I mused for long enough in the age of the white heat of technology, WTF a keypad calculator is numerically the reverse of a keypad telephone. The calculator set has no technical logic, especially since the early ones would run out of memory, (much like a mechanical typwriter would stick...hence the Qwerty system) because most people were too fast for them as well... so thank you so bloody much Mr Rockwell..or somebody for the calculator setup.

So I surmised for a while, that for the keypad telephone, the setup was actually okay since speed was not of the essence..which really didn't make sense, as either setup would do anyway, so I just gave up.
Nowadays, most telephones have a menu board that put up the numbers to confirm you have stuck in the right sequence, so you no longer need to open your eyeballs excessively to make sure you punched in the right numbers.
So, Mr Rockwell, please make the calculator keypad and the telephone keypad, and airplane keypads...and, and...all the bloody same.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Here's something I wonder about. How do people with really long finger nails wipe their butts?
Now, I don't mean anything crazy like this:

Although, one would imagine it would be next to impossible. I mean like this:

One problem would be tearing through the toilet paper. You'd get poop under the nails. Then, there's the problem of scratching sensitive areas that shouldn't be scratched. How do they do it?

Go ahead and make a reference to my username lol. I guess it fits in this case.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Eeeew, putrid picture.

------------------------------------------------------

My musings would unveil my insanity.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

LOL!

top topics

join