It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tetrahedron Super Yacht: The boat that can fly

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I will take one of these please. This is fascinating technology. I cant even imagine the price tag on one of these puppies. It looks like the technology came direct from aviation technology!

HYSWAS Tetrahedron Super Yacht

– Aviation on the Sea

HYSWAS propulsion at concept stage with
The Maritime Applied Physics Corporation, Baltimore, USA

The Architecture of the Tetrahedron Super Yacht.

The design is instigated by the re-thinking of the form, superstructure and propulsion of the modern super-yacht into a radically simple enclosure and an elevated mode of travel above the water line.

The superstructure form is reduced to the absolute geometry of a Tetrahedron. A three-based pyramid consisting of 4 faces and 6 leading edges provides fundamental stability and enclosure. Its form produces a pure, precise, logical and mathematical ‘roof’ from which to connect to the hull assembly. Generally, simple forms are not known in ship and motor yacht construction through restrictions in ocean-going hull design.

L I N K
Additional link CNN Slideshow

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Looks like a weapon with that torpedo hanging there...

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Looks like it would have no porting capabilities. Also servicing the drive mechanism thats always underwater would be a cluster pluck.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Obviously weight distribution and buoyancy are the key but one has to wonder how the thing would fair in anything but calm seas without running the risk of capsizing.
edit on 15-3-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Fly? not really.

This is closer to a boat that can fy.

It is a cool concept.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
pyramid boats than only the 1% can buy, why don't just call it the illuminati and be done with it
edit on 15-3-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Cool find. This is what came to mind when I saw the image:

Cheops Class Warship from Stargate SG-1

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Obviously weight distribution and buoyancy are the key but one has to wonder how the thing would fair in anything but calm seas without running the risk of capsizing.

I think the lower fins would be able to slice through any surface conditions while the top always glides smoothly.

It looks like a giant hydrofoil board.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

edit on 15-3-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Hydrofoils have been around for decades. They work just like airfoils except the fluid medium is water instead of air, and they are surprisingly stable at speed in conditions that would have passengers on a normal hulled boat puking in the passageways. One problem with the design in the OP is the tremendous draft. Hydrofoils are generally retractable for maneuvering in shallow waters; the foils in this design do not appear to have that ability. As AlongCamePaul pointed out, not many harbors in the world could handle it. This is simply a thought exercise, not a proposal to actually build the thing.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlongCamePaul
Looks like it would have no porting capabilities. Also servicing the drive mechanism thats always underwater would be a cluster pluck.

This makes me wonder how it would deal with shallow waters and submerged features like a reef.

Just upscale that and we have our flying yacht.

The acceleration and ascension of the craft would be like an amusement park ride for passengers Lol.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I wonder what kind of protection it has against hitting the ground.

Smash a reef with that thing and it's going over in a hurry

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Looks like the hydrofoil can be retracted for docking:

-dex

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I don't get it it's just a hydrofoil with a pyramid on top. Is a three sided room really the most efficient use of space when you consider you have to put things in it like furniture.

This thing is stupid and nobody will buy it.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: zatara

exactly

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Cohen the Barbarian
They must have the hulls on the pyramid for just such circumstances....
raise the foil and use the upper hulls for floatation....

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
I don't get it it's just a hydrofoil with a pyramid on top. Is a three sided room really the most efficient use of space when you consider you have to put things in it like furniture.

The kinds of people who have that much money don't care about an efficient use of space.
Just saying.

They are already looking at extravagant floating castles- here's an option that "flies" - will make them stand out from their buddies.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I could see hitting a big shark or whale underwater at high speed. Other things also float below the surface that bounce off the hull of your boat and hit the prop. I know that from experience. What sill it do if it hits that thing going real fast. Probably spin it like a top and topple itl

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

You forgot about the American government. They like to waste taxpayer money on expensive junk.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Trump?

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: AussieNutter
a reply to: rickymouse

Trump?

Only if it has gold fixtures on it.

new topics

top topics