It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK: Biscuit filled Boeing 777s land in Doncaster to ease national cookie shortage crisis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I thought this was a joke and maybe it is but we Brits do not tend to joke when it comes to our biscuits.

Doncaster's Robin Hood Airport has taken delivery of plane loads of biscuits to ease a national shortage.

The cargo team at the airport have welcomed two Boeing 777 aircraft full of biscuits into the region in the last two weeks.

Dayle Hauxwell, cargo manager for Doncaster Sheffield Airport said: “There has been a lot of press coverage about Britain’s biscuit shortage following the floods in December and we are pleased to hear that the factories hope to be up and running again this month.

"In the mean time we’ve been delighted to welcome two flights from Emirates full of the nation’s favourite biscuits.

“We’ve welcomed all sorts of different cargo over the years from a pride of lions to last year’s consignment of tea, this time we’ve quite literally ‘taken the biscuit!'"

Looks like we dodged a bullet there as tradesmen across the nation would have been downing tools over the lack of a few bikkies with a nice cup of tea(milk,2 sugars)

[url=http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/biscuit-filled-boeing-777s-land-in-doncaster-to-ease-national-cookie-shortage-crisis-1-7784386]link[/url ]

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I'm really hoping this isn't a hoax.

How utterly British of us!

ETA It's in the independent too!! LINK

I don't think it is a hoax. I might be proven wrong though, but BIKKIES!!
edit on 1532016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

I'm really hoping this isn't a hoax.

How utterly British of us!

It came up on my facebook feed but the link is to the Doncaster free press website?

I used to live in that area and it is a real newspaper and it's the kind of thing we would do if there was the threat of a biscuit shortage.

I think other nations would not understand quite how serious a thing this could be to us.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Britain is always only three coffee breaks away from a revolution

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
Britain is always only three coffee breaks away from a revolution

Only 3??????

I have that many coffees in the first hour of waking up!

Note to self: Cut down on coffee and bikkies to prevent a revolution.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

don't you mean tea break?

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
crisis averted!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I read recently of a petition being organised to protest about the manufacturers wanting to change the recipe for Jammie Dodgers by adding milk.

Grooh

I've got a packet of (hopefully) original recipe biccies coming tomorrow. If they're not as ropey as I remember them, I'll be stocking up.

(I also got a packet of microwaveable dumplings coming, which I hope I won't be allergic to). That's the high life for me

edit on 15-3-2016 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
You know what really cracks me up about a story like this, is knowing that somewhere someone has had to consciously make this decision in a meeting. I can just picture it:

"yeah boss we gota problem, running out of hob-nobs"

"READY THE PLANE!!!"

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
You know what really cracks me up about a story like this, is knowing that somewhere someone has had to consciously make this decision in a meeting. I can just picture it:

"yeah boss we gota problem, running out of hob-nobs"

"READY THE PLANE!!!"

It is what we do though!

Remember the business when the Tories tried to bring in a "pasty tax"???

What gets me is when we have a budget and they put 10p on a pint of beer? How many pints would you need to drink in a week for that to have some kind of real financial effect.

Yet we common folks like to get all serious when it comes to real ale and the thought of a lack of Hobnobs...

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Cookie crisis? There is NO cookie crisis...there is a biscuit crisis!!!!

Seriously lol, this was all over reddit yesterday, I will post the thread, it is hilarious to read.

Reddit Biccy thread
edit on 15-3-2016 by Jonjonj because: added a biccy thread

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The biscuit factory that produces "Bourbon" and "Custard Creams" was victim of the recent floods

Non to be seen for weeks on Supermarket shelves

So I guess this story could well be true ...

edit on 15-3-2016 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Well to be fair there is no crisis at all as they have averted it by pumping a dump load of aviation fuel fumes into the environment to placate a few builders and some grannies up north....

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Read the Reddit thread I posted, it is funny as all hell.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

It probably concerns loss of profit as these are some of Nation's favourites

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Seriously lol, this was all over reddit yesterday, I will post the thread, it is hilarious to read.

Reddit Biccy thread

Chocolate biscuits are the king of biscuits. Like the Sunday dinner is the king of dinners. Oreos may be all the rage elsewhere, but nothing beats the tea soaked McVities chocolate biscuit, chocolate just a little melty and the digestive sponge filled with milky tea greatness.
All hail the chocolate biscuit, king of the biscuits.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

And quite right, too.

The last thing you'd want is an army of Northern builders and grannies descending on the South.

You'd have more than just a biccie shortage to contend with.

link   

It is full of ridiculous biscuit worship.

link   

to placate a few builders and some grannies up north....

Wash your mouth out sir ... we are talking Custard Creams and Borbouns ... damn southerners lol

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

The last thing you'd want is an army of Northern builders and grannies descending on the South.

It's not Northern builders you need to worry about ... Northern Grannies can turn really nasty ... believe me

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join