It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firewatch - A Single Player Adventure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Firewatch is a recently released game that is available on Steam and was just recently released at the end of this past February.

I'd heard about this game and got it as soon as it was released and dived right into it.

Synopsis of the game is:

It's 1989 and you are Henry, a man who has escaped his messy life by accepting a job as a Fire Lookout in a national forest in Wyoming. The only person that you're connected to during your watch is a woman on the other end of a radio.

I found this game quite enchanting and interesting, especially since I do a lot of camping with our Boy Scouts and go hiking with them.

The graphics are not photo realistic, but seem to be in the same style of animation that reminds me of Team Fortress 2. Even though it looks "cartoony" I found it to be quite a beautiful world to explore in.

I made several Let's Play videos of this game and enjoyed myself quite a bit.

Language warning! The "F" bomb gets dropped in this game quite a bit, so if swearing disturbs you, please be warned.

Here is the first 4 parts of the Let's play I've done. The game starts out slowly, but picks up quite a bit by the 2nd video.

Link to the game on Steam

edit on 3/15/2016 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
for me it has little replay after first game. just my opinion. I'll check the videos out when I'm not on my phone. .. lunch break soon =)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

hey Erik, you getting either htc vive or oculus rift?

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Well there is the fact that you have different dialog you can do.

Also: the area is HUGE and I did not explore it all.

I think it can be replayed a couple of times, then yah, it's done after that.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Would LOVE to have one of them.

But I can't justify the cost. If I was by myself, sure. But have to pay the bills and put food on the table.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Hey, you've got a lets play with some subcribers, shoot off an Email to valve and ask for a review model to keep!

Firewatch was an amazing game... not a single ounce of action, no twitch-reaction or quicktime events, but there were still points where I was nervous while walking around... some of that game has a lot of ambiance. Sometimes the game feels lonely, and at those points the banter between your character and the other tower-dweller is almost a relief, but it's beautiful througout. I wasn't sure I would like the game, but it thoroughly drew me in.

Edit: This game made me think that a firewatch job for a summer would be an amazing thing. I was a boy scout counselor for a few summers, but most of the time I was at the scout camp I just wished I was alone.
edit on 15-3-2016 by Slanter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
a reply to: SaturnFX

Would LOVE to have one of them.

But I can't justify the cost. If I was by myself, sure. But have to pay the bills and put food on the table.

Yeah, its pricey for sure. need a pretty beast gaming rig alongside the cost..might be best to wait a year or so.
Alternatively, you can simply eat what you catch for a few months

I got the oculus preordered, and can only justify it by creating for it..so am spending many a hours learning unity and other engines..if I can sell enough random things and assets to cover the cost, voila. labor of love.

the screens are (from what I heard) almost imperceptable with the "screen door" effect at 2000 x 1080 screen. they are however currently developing a 16k per eye screen. that will be amazing..and actually if it comes in at under 1k, will be easily justified (can toss away monitors, televisions, social life, etc)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Ok it's in many parts as of now. I will enjoy this. Haven't watched gaming videos in a while. Thanks for uploading. 👍

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I've played through this a couple of times. At first, I didn't realize you could update your map at the supply boxes. It left me retracing my steps for the first hour or so of the game. It really is a compelling story and had me drawn into it. I'm not much for cell shaded graphics either, but it didn't detract from the game at all.

Overall, I thought it was a great game.

top topics

join