It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After You Hit The Silk

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Dug out an old copy of 'Survival, Evasion, and Escape' the other day. I guess the megadeath in the Indian Ocean has got me spooked. There's another thread on making a NWO boogie bag, but what I'd like to talk about here is something more down-to-earth: flyer's boogie bags. What do you like to carry in your survival kit when you fly over rough terrain, and why? I'll let you guys know what I carry, but I want to hear your ideas first.

I've seen all kinds of wild stuff- Very Pistols in floatplanes, .45/.22 rifles that fold up, crash axes, liferafts that self-inflate, a guy who used to fly with a case of Dinty Moore Stew and a case of Budweiser for ballast.

What do you like to carry for those times you have to walk home the long way?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
-Good Hunting Knife
-Swiss Army/Leatherman type multi tool is handy
-Matches/Lighter
-Duct Tape or strong tape can be handy
-Torch - You can actually get a hand wind up torch/radio in one which would be handy
-Basic Medical pack would be nice as well

thats off the top of my head...

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Good stuff, Pilate. Being a pilot helps to keep out the unneccesary stuff because of weight restrictions.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   

-Good Hunting Knife
-Swiss Army/Leatherman type multi tool is handy
-Matches/Lighter
-Duct Tape or strong tape can be handy
-Torch - You can actually get a hand wind up torch/radio in one which would be handy
-Basic Medical pack would be nice as well

Radio, gun, knife, rations, map, lighter GPS, NVG, compass, and a few courses in survival, evasion, food acquisition and first aid...

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
ChrisRT, what kind of gun? Any reccomendation on type of knife? Or type of compass? What type of radio? Good call on the compass.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Oh, are you putting together a pack?

Any reccomendation on type of knife

I guess a standard Swiss army knife with all the futures would do... If you aren’t into that or want something else for food gathering then a standard 5 or 6" hunting knife would do...

what kind of gun

A Beretta or S&W could do... basically anything you can pack and carry without hindrance.

Or type of compass

Just a standard compass... If you go to a military supply shop you can get what some of the fighter pilots get... You may not get a G' suite with a built in compass but you can get a vest with a built in compass.

What type of radio

Just a standard survival radio. Usually lightweight, long battery life, small and extremely durable. You could also get one with a built in compass. (not electronically but mechanical as it wont fail and it wont run out of juice)

Just remember, light, durable, and versatile. Remember to pack or wear cloths that are great for long durations of wear, will keep you warm, and are quick to dry. Something near what a snowboarder would wear in the backcountry.

[edit on 11-1-2005 by ChrisRT]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I recommend a Glock, Swiss army knife,hunting knife, GPS,the crankup torch/radio and how big is a radio beacon??...not very IMHO one should carry that too..a wideband SOS thing..

Whats this USA-britain-Japan-Russia alliance of yours christ??..Is it analogous to my "Axis of EVIL"..??
Wuahahaha

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Since i cant post anything here really involing weapons i will try and outsmart my schools firewall.
A HK USP45 (incase the locals aint nice) , GPS, MRE's , water purifying pills, map +compass etc, canteen, HK MP7A1 if i could get one in, torch, cam cream and head smock, swiss army knife ,a VHF radio, Socks (never know how handy a sock is) , condoms oh and first aid kit.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
condoms oh and first aid kit.

Always thinking of the neccessities first, eh?

Well I don't know much about guns (I'm more of a sword/parasol person myself, nothing like shuving it right up someone's...anyhoo); but off the top of my head a first aid kit, swiss army knife,wind up torch/radio,water purifying pills,some basic rations (do you want further detail on that?), some duct tape, fishing line, a blanket, and some decent string...also possibly some flares, but can you carry those in a plane
I'll probably think of something else...

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
. Lighter
. Compass
. Knife
. Plastic mirror
. Tweezers
. Hacksaw blade
. Plastic bags
. Needle
. Fishing line
. Fishing hooks
. Sinkers
. Trace wire
. Stock cubes
. Cord
. Tea bag
. Glucose tablet
. Puritabs
. Condy's Crystals (an antiseptic)
. Band-Aids
. Scalpel blade
. Paracetamol tablets (pain pills)
. Alcohol swab
. Pencil
.9mm Glock

All exept Glock will fit into a fairly small tin and you are good to go.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one .45 caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days concentrated emergency raisons; one drug issue containing: antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair a nylon stockings. Shoot, a fellah could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

Major Kong, pilot B-52 Stratofortress pilot, Dr. Strangelove.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
does anyone plan on a CHANGE OF CLOTHES?????

no where did i see a change of underwear..................??????

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Um...why hasnt anybody said Cell Phone or Satellite Phone? Turn your fight for survival into a mild inconvenience

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Um...why hasnt anybody said Cell Phone or Satellite Phone? Turn your fight for survival into a mild inconvenience

I mentioned a GPS and a 'radio beacon'....Something as small as a golf ball can be petty powerful..

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I would take a calico M950 with a couple of extra clips. I used to own one when I lived in the States.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Let's see, what would I take...

-Mk23 Mod 0 SOCOM .45cal pistol with a LAM and Flashlight attachment.
-Enough ammunition for 10 clips, about 120 rounds...
-MRE/C-Rations.
-Water Pills
-Batteries
-Flares
-Ghillie Suit
j/k
-Some sort of GPS locator
-Satelite Phone
-Decent Knife, like a combat knife and/or swish army knife.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
My list is exactly like GrOuNd_ZeRo's, but add a silk lined sleeping bag for two and Tyra Banks. A little boose wouldnt hurt...

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Well living up in the north and being a pilot i have a list of stuff to carry at all times

-Sleeping bag- since its cold up here we prefer the large heavy types but you southern boys might want just a normal small one
-tent- small two person emergency tent

-Med kit- for wilderness travel, its not to big and fairly light

-Rifle- prefer 22 mag, not handgun as it is very unaccurate and ammo would be limited, have you ever tried hunting with a handgun? Also 22 mag is good for small game which would be in high supply and some large game with a good shot

-fishing line and hooks
-flares
-knife - swiss army with the spoon and fork model and also a good hunting knife
-axe- small hatchet
-sat phone is a must i repeat must when travelling and will save your life for a cheap price, if you can afford to fly then you can afford one of these
-gps with extra batteries
-handheld radio - not off the shelf model but pilots model, expensive but worth the money
-small supply of food- high energy biscuits and stuff, if you have the room meal ration packs
-matches, lighter and flint
-duct tape, a must
-flashlight
-candles
-garbage bags and rope
-sugar,tea, candies

-signal mirror- if you ever seen one of these used they are amazingly bright when seen from the air- never fly with out one

-compass

thats about it off the top of my head, im sure im forgettin the small stuff though that have been said before but from all the suggestions im sure you can put together a good emergency kit that is fairly small. Just remember the more remote you fly the bigger your kit is.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyCool21

In case the locals ARE friendly...
Lol prepare for every eventuality.
Btw are we talking bags as big as a bergen (soldier back pack and pretty big) or are we talking about gear you would carry in say a small bag and on you?

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Originally posted by LadyCool21

In case the locals ARE friendly...
Lol prepare for every eventuality.
Btw are we talking bags as big as a bergen (soldier back pack and pretty big) or are we talking about gear you would carry in say a small bag and on you?

LOL - I'm on the sicklist, you'se guys are cheering me up. I completely forgot about the old B52 survival kit routine

I'll tell you what I do right now. I put the 'gotta have it' and 'civilized' stuff in a fanny pack that goes wherever I go. The other stuff goes in a backpack. And the other stuff is as lightweight and as little as possible.

Its funny how sometimes military issue stuff is better, and sometimes civvy stuff is more advanced. I'm flying civvy now, so I mix and match. Bear with me here, I'm Native so some of my stuff will look 'different'.

Let me make you a priorities list:

1. FOOD- a. First, something that would have saved a lot of families in Indonesia: a Katadyn Survivor 06 Reverse Osmosis Desalinator (best, but heavy), or Pocket Filter (cheaper, lightweight, but can't desalinate and won't stop virus) and some 1-liter water bottles; b. Mazapan (peanut butter candy); c. Tamarindo (fruit leather with salt); d. Machacado (jerky- I make this myself, cook it first then shred it and dry it, vaccuum seal it. Don't eat uncooked jerky, you can get tapeworms in your brain); e. fishing kit with handline. Instant foods. I hate MRE's.

If I'm going camping, I add a little 10" wok and chopsticks for cooking fish and berries and roots and bark and such.

2. SHELTER- a. spare socks (one pair wool, one cotton) b. set long underwear bottoms and tops; c. always wear good trousers (jeans or chinos) with a US issue belt (makes a good tourniquet) and a practical, long sleeved shirt; d. ballcap and watchcap (wool); e. Randolph sunglasses on neckcord; f. keep a good jacket handy (US M65), with a cheap plastic poncho in one pocket and a pair of stout work gloves in the other; g. bandanna.

If I'm going camping, I add a US M48 sleeping bag with cover and a backpacker's dome tent.

3. DEFENSE- a. Vaughan lathing hatchet (its the 5th one down- I make a little 'scabbard' from three pieces of lath and a leather thong for this, stick it through my belt); b. NORTON Diamond Hone (this makes a good signal mirror too); c. paper money in various denominations totalling $120.00; d. passport, ID's, credit card; e. toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, razor, deodorant; f. first aid kit (pocket) and mosquito repellent; g. heavy-duty sewing thread, needles, spare buttons.

4. MOBILITY- a. Always wear good hiking shoes or boots that can accomodate two pairs of socks (one cotton, one wool); b. paracord for spare laces and 'makin' stuff'; c. GARMIN GPS; d. chart; e. US Engineer's Compass.

5. COMMUNICATION- a. 10 BIC lighters; b. candle in jar; c. ACR MiniEPIRB (cheap) and/or Iridium phone (expensive).

I carry one more item: a fire-by-friction handpiece, and some heavy leather bootlaces. These weigh like an ounce. Fire by friction is a skill y'all should really own by doing- check out the instructions by Seton to 'get it'. You should know how to lay a good one-match fire. Even in the rain.

If you have to shelter-in-place for a long time, dig a foxhole in a bank.

Notice a lot of that stuff is for the far North? It works in the desert too, to keep the sun off- and the desert can be hella cold at night. I carry the same stuff in the tropics, just cut it up to make jungle stuff out of it if I need to use it. Naturegraph Press has some good books on wild edible foods. It's good to know how to make a primitive bow and arrow, tie nets and so on. And how to stay healthy.

Notice I left out a survival knife or gun. I'm a tomahawk Indian. Some guys I know carry the US GI Entrenching Tool, with a sharpened edge. You can dig better with a hatchet or ET than with a knife. I do keep a tiny Leatherman tool for preflight.

The trick nowadays is hauling this stuff all over the globe without setting off all the bells and whistles. If I have to travel to a job, I ship my 'uncivilized' stuff Fedex and pick it up when I arrive.

Which leads me to a final comment:

"Don't tell my ma I'm a pilot. She thinks I'm a piano player down at the cathouse, and I don't want to disappoint her."

Edit: I forgot the campfire stories! Gotta have campfire stories, even if you're alone. ET, bigfoot, Atlantis... you know, ATS Stuff
and a watch (there's one with an EPIRB built in, but its way expensive) and pencil for noting how far you've walked (time, speed, distance, heading) if you don't stay with the ship... oops, forgot the toilet paper!

[edit on 12-1-2005 by Chakotay]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join