It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Don't Have A Source It Goes In Rant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   
For those who just joined, members like to read through the new thread and forums finding threads that have value. If your ranting with no source, put it in rant. I used to be able to skim through and find intelligent posts. PLEASE STOP POSTING STUFF WITH NO SOURCES IN SERIOUS FORUMS. Thank you

edit on 15-3-2016 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/15/2016 by eriktheawful because: Mod Note: Removed All Caps Title.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Ok , counter-rant coming up-----So , we are unable to post our own ideologies , our own thoughts on the subject. There are a SHEOL of a lot of posts like this. I may not agree , but I will defend to the death their right to post them. No matter if I agree or they have "links" or not.It is called "FREE THINKING". I refuse to believe anything more just because someone links to a vague wiki page put together by god knows who .
I often ask for information from a poster which does not necessarily have to be a freakin link to a web-page. How bout a part of a book ? Their own reasons for believing.
You could google "the sky is red and the grass is purple" and you are probably going to find a link somewhere to a web page that tries to prove just that.Is it true:no. Should I believe just because it is there ? Not just no , but HADES no.

I rest my counter rant.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

What about general chit chat or gray area or skunk works? Maybe you should post a while before making demands of the ATS community.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   

As much as I agree that threads on subjects that have OP's stating "matters of fact" concepts should have citations, there are plenty of times, even in the scientific forums where citations aren't totally necessary. Again, however, those would apply to non-matter-of-fact subjects.

I don't think there is any specific forum that should require citations, and there are more than just the rant forum that contains threads that mostly never need citing.

When you claim something as a 'fact', cite your sources; otherwise it's just an opinion.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   
What's a serious forum

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Can't provide links with my ancient phone. Better just pack up and ship out to a less technologically minded forum.
It is always possible that you are hallucinating this post. After all, i cant refer you on to a third party for evidence that i exist, or even wrote this. Half the time there isn't really any need to click a link if the op has done a half decent job. I can often, reasonably, accept a given set of information without being all pedantic and double checking everything.
Also there have been posts on here which have pretty pictures, graphs, statistics and multiple links and guess what?????
All garbage.
Sometimes it is possible to be right or wrong all by yourself.
If what you have to say really needs multiple qualifiers, maybe it doesn't really need to be said.
edit on 15-3-2016 by Tulpa because: its too early

edit on 15-3-2016 by Tulpa because: !!!

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
For those who just joined, members like to read through the new thread and forums finding threads that have value. If your ranting with no source, put it in rant. I used to be able to skim through and find intelligent posts. PLEASE STOP POSTING STUFF WITH NO SOURCES IN SERIOUS FORUMS. Thank you

My approach to this website and your request in particular, is this.

Where I know where the source is or if its readily at hand then I will use it.

I have done; and Its highly like that I will continue, to add things I have learned from my 60+ years in this world and I will continue to add content I have memories of reading or viewing where its relevant and where I hope it many benefit a poster.

This website is not an academic website, its classification is 'entertainment' website. I do not have the time or the inclination to spend my valuable time collecting and maintaining references just in case I need them some day on this website or, just to please someone on this website.

Please feel free to discount, disbelieve or ignore any content of mine on this site if you wish. I will not hold anything against you for doing that.

While I have very passionate beliefs about certain things and I know I will not change the world so its OK with me if you choose not accept anything I say.

cheers

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Well though u are right so
Without example I have no clue what you are all suggesting shouldn't mods handle that sort of stuff anyway ?

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:30 AM
link   
ok - my 0.02 groats :

yes you can have an OPINION on pretty much any topic - and cite yourself as the " source " - but thats all it is your opinion

what pisses me off is when people expect me to take their opinion seriously despite the inconvenient fact that it is falsified by known observations

and what REALLY pisses me off is " invented citations " which upon fact checking turn out to be a fabrication

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

??

You make no sense

Falsified by known observation say what ??? That sentence u just wrote is nonsense

U said u take observation over a citation

What the hell is going on here
edit on 15-3-2016 by Lovessover because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   
There has not been one post made today that makes sense ???????

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   

I have to disagree with the premise. Not all threads need to be sourced, ATS is proud of its history of "user generated content".
Where exactly does "user generated content" find its source, if not in the user?

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lovessover
There has not been one post made today that makes sense ???????

Honestly I was working on something today on the forum I feel like I was painting a beautiful picture or something like that

And I come to no one making sense no one and some are sounding increasingly more loud
Every time I freak out I back out of the forum I feel like something aweful is going to happen

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
ok - my 0.02 groats :

yes you can have an OPINION on pretty much any topic - and cite yourself as the " source " - but thats all it is your opinion

what pisses me off is when people expect me to take their opinion seriously despite the inconvenient fact that it is falsified by known observations

and what REALLY pisses me off is " invented citations " which upon fact checking turn out to be a fabrication

Well that was a pretty scary rant mate you are alright there ???? you seem like something really upset you I am freaking out now u are scaring me somehow with the rage

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Honestly

Just saying regular member experience usually if something is in the wrong forum a moderator will move it for you otherwise it's fine right ?

Or what the hell I mean

They will usually warn you re citation if not even fix it for you

So I am lost as to what is going on
edit on 15-3-2016 by Lovessover because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 04:08 AM
link   

creative writing has no citations either so you are all scaring me now !!

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I don't get it- is the date on your profile wrong? Or did they make you a mod as you entered? Are you someones cousin or something?

Why are you coming in here with commands???

Unless you have some logical explanation for your presumed authority here, I think you have mistaken your emotional rant as being something else. We all have days when we want to scream and are at odds with the world. But don't expect the world to change for you.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

Its good isn't it!
Before the internet ever existed I used to read a lot of books. I still do. What I find absolutely fascinating about a lot of younger folk is that all this time I've been criticised, as if reading a book was somehow a waste of my time.
Oh how I laughed at their ignorance.
Reading was looked down upon and books were something they were forced to read at school and that was that.
Oh how I laughed at their ignorance.
I'm not trying to boast but I have read more than anyone I know in my circle of friends, family and immediate acquaintances. They are nice people but I often find that they need help here and there when something needs explaining.
Here is the funny part. Many many people I know have now got smartphones and pads etc. My generation are getting to grips with new technology.
They have all, overnight become cursed by the weird idea that a quick browse of a page or two off google is, somehow, a substitute for a good, solid, grounded base of knowledge. It is not.
Oh how I laugh at their ignorance.
Some people will never get a real depth of knowledge because so many websites are merely poor, edited down articles derived from books! When I started searching paranormal topics on the internet. It looked like "spooky stuff for children, with all the big words removed and lots of repetition so you don't get all confused and sidetracked". Oh yeah, here's lots of pictures too.
Oh how I laugh at their ignorance.
Being " good at the internet" is in no way a measure of general intelligence. In fact the more impressive your internet "performance", the more, I suspect, you should go and read a book.
And no, I don't have a link for that.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Oh goodness half of you need to "stand down"!

If someone doesn't add a source just help them out with some Google-fu and add a link. This isn't rocket science!! Either that or report the post to the Mods as we have been asked to like what?? HUNDREDS OF TIMES!!!

Either way you are adding to a site you all enjoy.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Thread title...Full caps?

just saying

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join