It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Theresa, the Vatican's Newest Saint

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Mother Theresa is expected to be elevated to sainthood status early tomorrow. The Nobel Prize winner and tireless nun whose work with the sick and poor of India in particular has been fast-tracked similar to St. Pope John Paul II.

The committee of senior clerics that approves elevations to sainthood is due to meet from around 0900 GMT with the long-awaited green light seen as a formality, less than two decades after her death. Pope Francis will then sign a decree approving the canonisation of the 1979 Nobel peace prize winner and announce a date and venue for it to happen. The Albanian nun and missionary will be one of five candidates for sainthood considered at Tuesday's session, but by far the most high-profile.

Many Catholics and others had hoped the Pope "would travel to India for the canonisation ceremony but, barring a last minute surprise, it is expected to take place in Rome with a thanksgiving ceremony scheduled for the following month in the Indian city." The Canonization comes with some issues though:

Questions have also been raised over the Missionaries of Charity's finances, as well as conditions in the order's hospices. A series of her letters published in 2007 also caused some consternation among admirers, as it became clear that she had suffered crises of faith for most of her life

She is revered by many Catholics but has also been attacked as a "religious imperialist" who attempted to foist her beliefs on an impoverished community in which they had no indigenous roots

www.france24.com...

Mother Theresa is revered and loved by many for her charitable works, especially in India. Many of the Catholic faith look forward to her elevation to Saint, others simply remember her lifetime of commitment to helping the poor.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
How Polytheistic of them.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Star and Flag..

Not a religious person. I have my respect. And as a sister smacks a ruler on my knuckles. I could have sworn she was Sainted already. It's been my assumption for the last 5 years.

Thanks for the schooling. I know someone that needs to see this. 😊⛪

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I wonder how she is celebrating those great news

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
Star and Flag..

Not a religious person. I have my respect. And as a sister smacks a ruler on my knuckles. I could have sworn she was Sainted already. It's been my assumption for the last 5 years.

Thanks for the schooling. I know someone that needs to see this. 😊⛪

Thanks for the post. This honor transcends a religion, in that IMO She was an exceptional human, and put others before self. I know I can't say the same.

edit on 2782016412016-03-15T00:41:41-05:0020162am411241 by Boscowashisnamo because: none given.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

I could have mistaken being connonized. 👈 improper spelling. But the subject has come up alot around here.

I was just thankful someone sacrificed their time for those less fortunate. An active voice. 😊
And got it done.

Ah! Yes. Sister advocate. Saved by my nursing school notes.
edit on 15-3-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Many intelligent people regard her as a fraud including one of my personal heros Christopher Hitchens

Academics suggest Hitch called it right on Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa wasn't so very saintly, a new study reports.

Canadian academics trawled through 96 per cent of all originally researched literature on the Catholic icon and concluded that her reputation as one of the holiest women of the twentieth century was the product of hype.

Researchers allege missing funds for humanitarian work and homes for the poor that did not offer the medical care they required, leaving many to die.

www.independent.co.uk...

top-10-reasons-mother-teresa-was-a-fraud
thelibertarianrepublic.com...
edit on 15-3-2016 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

10-misconceptions-about-mother-teresa-she-was-no-saint
www.listland.com...

edit on 15-3-2016 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Christopher Hitchen is a self-avowed anti-zionist, anti-Catholic, and extremely anti-Morman. He's a Marxist who thinks Che Guevara and Lenin are great men, and "welcomed globalization" in a 2001 interview.
en.wikipedia.org...
www.goodreads.com...

It's not surprising he regards the soon to be named Saint as a fraud.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Yes those were some of his better qualities....but what about the issues he and others have raised?

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD

Yes those were some of his better qualities....but what about the issues he and others have raised?

I'm reading through those as we speak. I'm not a Catholic, but posted the information because it has relevance in our world to many. I'm open minded, but puzzled by hatred and animosity by posters on other sites of this news. I understand why people have intense opinions on the Catholic church, and their many misdeeds, but not on a woman that spent much of her life in the service of others.

I'll respond after I look at the links you provided. With the many entities Hitchen despises, I'm culling through the information to discover who/what he likes.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Tongue in cheek, Nice!
You just kicked a puppy wearing a cone on his head AND mother Theresa in the same thread.
2 thumbs down buddy.

Canada has bigger issues with it's Native Population, failure of the health system in the north, it's Nutrition Program, scandals of a redundant Senate, tar sands, currency issues. Really? they had time to study Mother Theresa?
Oh wait!
They study EVERYTHING! No action, just endless studies...

Your info has been taken with a grain of salt.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Mommie Dearest

In 2003, Pope John Paul II approved the beatification of Mother Teresa. At the time, Christopher Hitchens called Mother Teresa “a fanatic, a fundamentalist, and a fraud,” arguing that “even more will be poor and sick if her example is followed.” On Friday, Pope Francis announced that he will make Mother Teresa a saint in 2016. Hitchens’ original essay is republished below.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD that was a big eye opener for me that documentary. Hitchens at his very best

(post by b1brightnow removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

new topics

top topics

join