It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rainbow Bands of Airglow in Gravity Waves above Pico island

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Have not been posting for a while but had to share this, not seen anything like it before. I thought i new most of the sky phenomena we get but this is a new one to me. It was shot whilst whilst on a climb of Pico mountain the highest mountain in Portugal.

Stil trying to understand the cause so here is some of the explanation. What ever the cause they look like pure magic.

The bands are actually huge parallel structures in the thermosphere 90 km upwards. Perspective makes them appear to converge. This Gravity Waves* (not confuse with gravitational waves) propagating upwards from disturbances lower down in the atmosphere, are likely the source of the bands. The wave amplitude increases with height (reducing density) and wavelengths can be thousands of kilometers.

www.miguelclaro.com...

Happy Days

Purple

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Unfortunately, we would never see this with the naked eye. It's a super long exposure with added retouching.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I could tell its a longer exposure because of the stars but not very long as the stars are not turning. I have to do the same thing with the sky where I live if I want to catch the northern lights when they are out.

Just thought it was a lovely thing is all and a nice ATS break from all the mind numbing political stuff on these days.
edit on 14-3-2016 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Here is more typical Air Glow, and even this is ten images stitched together and with long exposure.

www.flickr.com...

It's definitely a nice respite from politics.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Really lovely bit of astrophotography.

The image/s has/have been HDR filtered and I suspect the fine detail may not be visible to the naked eye but none the less, a striking image.

Thank you.

edit on 14/3/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Omergosh!

Very beautiful!! Anyone besides me have a craving for skittles now?
Thread much appreciated! Thank You!!

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

lol caving for skittles. I can see why you think that. Glad you enjoyed it.

top topics

join