It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What stereotype are you?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

originally posted by: onequestion
Correct but if you can identify your own stereotypical behavior than why not?

How can one do this without direct experience with others telegraphing *this is your nature* as we understand it.

Mauve it a try.

You do realize that is the most repulsive color existing in this known universe?

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: vethumanbeing

its called banter and the context of the thread, truthfully i don't think in stereotypes and i judge based on the individual merits, but the question was being posed so i engaged in the banter. No need for a philosophical debate.

No need for the philosophical "AMEN". So, and be truthful; what are your thoughts about me perfect stranger to another perfect stranger and the better question "what are my thoughts about you" (Allowed Banter volume ELEVEN) just don't blow my speakers.
edit on 14-3-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Sometimes your posts don't fully make sense to me (I'm sure mine don't always specially when i get to drinking and go on my patriotic diatribes) I think overall you'd fit into leftist counter culture stereo type, but to be truthful I see you as generally kind hearted. I've been on ATS since 2011 (and lurked a long while before) so these aren't all strangers, so that's why I asked
cheers

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I am told I am an intimidating brute.

I don't try to be. And I don't like that at all.

People who get to know me, know that I am anything but.

But I can't help but be honest. And that honesty usually comes in a rush of sarcasm and metaphor. People who don't get metaphors easily (concrete thinkers) just think im crazy.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I will take socially awkward any day, and I'm proud. I don't know if I should, but whatever. I AM SOCIALLY AWKWARD AND I ALSO HAVE NO SKILLS AND/OR INTELLIGENCE IN THE FIELD OF SOCIALIZATION.

So what? I'm fine with it.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Sometimes your posts don't fully make sense to me (I'm sure mine don't always specially when i get to drinking and go on my patriotic diatribes) I think overall you'd fit into leftist counter culture stereo type, but to be truthful I see you as generally kind hearted. I've been on ATS since 2011 (and lurked a long while before) so these aren't all strangers, so that's why I asked
cheers

I knew eventually I would convince you of this. No apologies for my posts (poetic throw offs; am surprised you committed any time to code ring decipher). I as you have been here a while so, do not consider those I engage (speak with) as strangers because they interest me and I genuinely care about those whom I am harassing. I am counter culture (this is true) but not leftist. Mark Train Wreck better not be or I have to change everything. Thanks for asking; and yourself?
edit on 14-3-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I've failed any and every stereotype that should fit me.

Latino, born in the 80's - no kids, can't dance for my life and I'm more familiar with Ian Curtis than I am with salsa.

Also, I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it isn't dos equis.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
I am told I am an intimidating brute.

I don't try to be. And I don't like that at all.

People who get to know me, know that I am anything but.

But I can't help but be honest. And that honesty usually comes in a rush of sarcasm and metaphor. People who don't get metaphors easily (concrete thinkers) just think im crazy.

So how about "gentle giant" southerner? This is not to be confused with "good ole' boy". Fortunately, you don't seem to fit that mindset.

The "gentle giant" stereo type can be applied to anybody with a rough exterior but warm interior. Like the cranky person in a movie that we discover towards the end volunteers at soup kitchens or the "hooker with a heart of gold" trope. They are among my favorite characters in fiction and in person.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Judgement based on physical appearance from a distance consists of:

How they hold themselves

How they clothe themselves

How in shape their body is

The color tone of their skin taking in mind many people tan in the spring and summer but look white in the winter.

Who they are with

Where they are

What they are doing

Objects they may be operating. Vehicle, motorcycle, bike, skateboard and so on.

Any one of these factors, or combinations, come into play when stereotyping from a distance. Judgement made on a real life avatar. Stereotyping on this level is very superficial as anyone can see.

Judgement based on physical appearance up close:

How they hold themselves when they are aware of being noticed

The condition, brand, fabric of their clothing

Their general health - sickly, rough, scarred, soft, tattooed skin, eye brightness, condition of teeth, hair, nails, and shakiness and smell.

How they sound if they are talking to someone, accent, tone of voice, what they say.

The condition and brand of any object they are operating.

Judgement based when you meet them:

Eye contact or avoidance of it

How they hold themselves talking to you

What they say to you face to face and tone of voice.

In the examples above here, if one is socially awkward they will send mixed signals to the one judging them who may be trying to fit them into a certain stereotype, and they may be socially awkward too. Stereotyping is still stamped superficial at this level. On the other hand, many people put their best foot forward in social situations and can put on a nice show, who isn't genuinely a nice person behind closed doors in their private life. Again, stereotyping not advisable.

People usually tend to sterotype others by their political or religious or sport affiliation, their job and their income by their level of interest in it or time spent involved in it somehow. Stereotyping in this manner is still shallow.

An individual's personality overpowers all stereotypes.

Keep in mind, how you perceive yourself is not always how another will percieve you. Such as, who is good looking is in the eye of the beholder and often times awesome/mellow or charismatic/dynamic personalities, to name a few, are seen as more attractive than looks would be. The personality and where their heart is is what defines a person.

Sereotyping over simplifies the complex, stay away from it.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
People think I am dangerous when they see me on the street and I don't know why. I am 6' 1" 220 and strong, played sports in school, and been professionally trained to kill by Uncle Sam, been trained in several martial arts to several levels of black belts started at age 4, but I don't broadcast that. The only tat I got is a cross with my daughters name and dates of birth and dead at 15, but you can't see it with my shirt on. It may be the way I carry myself and behaviors. I check everything and am aware of everything in my environment. That might give off some feelings to people. I am extremely quiet. I don't say much at all. I listen to people. I am an old southern classic rock n roller though. I like the outdoor life and sports.

I walked into a UPS store on the island I live on and as I was approaching the counter the manager was in the back and yelled to the guy at the counter, "Watch it Jim, that guy looks dangerous." WTF is that all about? It is not something I want to broadcast at all. I am a chameleon in that I am at home in a biker bar or a country club. I can go anywhere and deal with anyone and be fine. I had a counselor once that did 15 years for a triple murder and he asked me right out the gate if I felt like I might kill him. He eventually told me that of all the people he knows I was the only one that would be fine in prison "because of the way I carry myself". Again, the way I carry myself came out. I still don't understand that because I walk and act normal as far as I can tell. Now as of 2001, I am sporting a hell of few scars from being shot in the neck and head with a 12ga. 00 Mag Buckshot. It blew off about 1/3 of my neck and a chunk of the back of my head. However, the surgeons were world class and I am big in my chest and neck from playing football. They were able to do a pec flap and cut muscle out of my chest and rebuild my neck. Other that the scars it looks normal. Not obviously deformed. As a matter of fact, if I wear a dress shirt people often don't notice unless they catch a side view of me.

I would change whatever was causing people to feel that way because I can tell I make people nervous. It makes social situations tense until they get to know me. I am a gentle giant and avoid violence at all costs unless someone insists they are bent on attacking me. I just had my fill of doing the dirty professionally. It tool me a very long time to decompress from PTSD and Combat Dreams and drifting off into scenarios during the day. I still have problems, but nowhere near the level I did. Instead of every night fighting in my sleep and my wife having to wake me up or sleep on the couch for getting hit in my sleep, maybe once a month now. As a result I pretty much stay by myself now and disengaged from society other than work or necessary activities. Go figure. I consider reengaging since I have been single for over 10 years now, something I never was since I was 14, but it is difficult to deal with people. They complain about things that totally are not something you need to worry about. If its not going to change your life forever or kill you, the blow it off. Enjoy nature or whatever.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
__BOSE Stereo System ( on a 75% discount and 90 days moneyback guarantee ) or simply soundbot

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Lovessover

all right all right

seems legit

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I wished my phone worked to insert the right pic

But you remind me of :

I knew it was a great mistake for a man like me to fall in love
-The Great Gatsby

thesundayblah.files.wordpress.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
My stereotype? Loner.... and let's keep it that way unless you aren't nuts.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
My stereotype? Loner.... and let's keep it that way unless you aren't nuts.

Is a "Shure" or 'Pickering"/or a direct drive belt driven turntable available? I wonder about younger people that do not know what a turntable or theater speakers are (Klipshorns).

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

professional fighter - health conscious - techie - philosophical - can get angry at times - somewhat judgmental - sense of fashion - cocky - tendency to self agragandize - white - good looking - socially awkward

Your stereotype = Yuppie, specifically Yuppie Jock

I'm more of the Geeky Fat Guy stereotype or sometimes, Redneck stereotype (at least from initial glance)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacksonkliun

I will take socially awkward any day, and I'm proud. I don't know if I should, but whatever. I AM SOCIALLY AWKWARD AND I ALSO HAVE NO SKILLS AND/OR INTELLIGENCE IN THE FIELD OF SOCIALIZATION.

So what? I'm fine with it.

I'm the same way and I think where we lack in one department we gain in another such as empathy and compassion.

All good qualities in today's day and age.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join