It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Prince Hall Masonry

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
what is the main diffrence between prince hall masonry and "regular" masonry?




posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Prince Hall Masonry is primarily but not strictly an organization of African American Masons. A black man has the option of Prince Hall Masonry or a standard Masonic Lodge.

Being that in some parts of America there were many racist issues in SOME lodges PH was the only option for black people. But as racial tolerance has spread more and more, although not gone even in some sparse lodges, it is not the only option now.

However as an African American myself, I did NOT opt for PH Masonry and went to a standard Masonic Lodge.

Check this out for Prince Hall

www.indianamasons.org...
freemasonry.bcy.ca...

Hope this helps


[edit on 1/11/2005 by cotwom]



posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
thanks, once more, for the great info.



posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by cotwom
Prince Hall Masonry is primarily but not strictly an organization of African American Masons. A black man has the option of Prince Hall Masonry or a standard Masonic Lodge.

Being that in some parts of America there were many racist issues in SOME lodges PH was the only option for black people. But as racial tolerance has spread more and more, although not gone even in some sparse lodges, it is not the only option now.

However as an African American myself, I did NOT opt for PH Masonry and went to a standard Masonic Lodge.

Check this out for Prince Hall

www.indianamasons.org...
freemasonry.bcy.ca...

Hope this helps


[edit on 1/11/2005 by cotwom]


How widespread is joint-racial masonry? I was under the impression that having blacks in "mainstream" lodges was still something of a mine-field issue and that none of the Grand Lodges had actually sanctioned having both blacks and whites in the same lodge, though some have recognized Prince Hall Masonry without granting visitation? The whole issue makes little sense to me but I thought it still existed.



posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helios Barca


How widespread is joint-racial masonry? I was under the impression that having blacks in "mainstream" lodges was still something of a mine-field issue and that none of the Grand Lodges had actually sanctioned having both blacks and whites in the same lodge, though some have recognized Prince Hall Masonry without granting visitation? The whole issue makes little sense to me but I thought it still existed.


Joint-racial Masonry is VERY WIDESPREAD. Yes there are lodges that have racial issues, but only in states that have extreme racial issues. Primarily but not limited to southern states. I'm in Oregon, and there is not a single mainstream lodge that would deny a black person membership unless it was a matter of not meeting the standard criteria that all members must meet. As I said I am a black Mason and a member of a main stream lodge, not Prince Hall. Admittedly the only black member of my lodge, but my color was never an issue. Purely a matter of character. Most blacks assume mainstream Masonry to be racist due to it's history and some of todays lodges, and join Prince Hall, or don't know of the option for Prince Hall.

I admit, I thought my race would be an issue, and I was paranoid I would be judged on that. They never made an issue of it. In fact I asked if it would be an issue, and the Master of the lodge and the other interviewer said that to judge me in that respect would be "unmasonic and just plain stupid" to use his words. The only benefit I see to Prince Hall is that the majority of members are black so a black individual would not feel like they stand out.
I however do not feel that way, and truly feel like a brother Mason.

[edit on 1/11/2005 by cotwom]



posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Didn't PH actually get its start in Africa in the early to mid 1900s? I thought it was only recently (last two decades) recognized as true freemasonry. Also, in many areas and sub-cultures like the military, I think that most non-whites tend to join PH, like Mexicans and Asians, not just black men.



posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout
Didn't PH actually get its start in Africa in the early to mid 1900s?


NO.

There evidently were no Black men among the Freemasons who were in the American colonies prior to 1730, nor, actually, until 1775. Then on March 6 of that year, 1775, an event took place that has been discussed, often vehemently, continuously. On that date fifteen men of color were initiated into Freemasonry. Among them was a man who has become immortal among Black Freemasons, Prince Hall.

Sergeant John Batt of the Irish Military Lodge No. 441, attached to the 38th Foot of the British Army, conducted the initiation of Prince Hall and his fourteen brethren. They are reported to have paid fifteen guineas to receive the three degrees. Eleven days later, March 17, 1775, the 38th Foot left Boston, but the Black Masons were issued a "Permet" by Batt. This permitted them to meet as a lodge and "walk on St. John's Day" and "to bury their dead in manner and form. " So African Lodge No. 1 of Boston, Massachusetts, was born on July 3, 1775.

(I believe this is why you thought it originated in Africa. I believe the Africa refers to the race in general.)

John Rowe, the Provincial Grand Master, it is said, issued a similar agreement to the lodge in 1784. It is also said that Prince Hall and the members of his lodge asked the English Grand Lodge of Massachusetts for its approval. This was denied. So on March 2, 1784 a request for a warrant was sent to the Grand Lodge of England ("Moderns"). A charter was prepared on September 29, 1784 (which is still in existence), but didn't reach Boston until April 29, 1787. African Lodge became No. 459 on the roster of the English Grand Lodge.

Nineteen days later the Lodge sent an account of its activities to the Grand Lodge of England. It indicated it had "eighteen Masters, four 'Crafts, and eleven Entered Apprentices. " Along with the return went a copy of its bylaws which had been adopted on January 14, 1779.


I thought it was only recently (last two decades) recognized as true freemasonry.


In America, this is true. Check out these links.
bessel.org...
bessel.org...
bessel.org...


Also, in many areas and sub-cultures like the military, I think that most non-whites tend to join PH, like Mexicans and Asians, not just black men.


That is true although white men may also join Price Hall although this is rare.

I don't know why a white man would join PH, I just know it's happened.


Just for kicks, here is a map of Prince Hall recognition from mainstream Masonry. The states in white I ASSUME would have issues with blacks as members of mainstream Masonry.
bessel.org...

[edit on 1/11/2005 by cotwom]

[edit on 1/11/2005 by cotwom]



posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cotwom
Joint-racial Masonry is VERY WIDESPREAD. Yes there are lodges that have racial issues, but only in states that have extreme racial issues. Primarily but not limited to southern states. I'm in Oregon, and there is not a single mainstream lodge that would deny a black person membership unless it was a matter of not meeting the standard criteria that all members must meet. As I said I am a black Mason and a member of a main stream lodge, not Prince Hall. Admittedly the only black member of my lodge, but my color was never an issue. Purely a matter of character. Most blacks assume mainstream Masonry to be racist due to it's history and some of todays lodges, and join Prince Hall, or don't know of the option for Prince Hall.

I admit, I thought my race would be an issue, and I was paranoid I would be judged on that. They never made an issue of it. In fact I asked if it would be an issue, and the Master of the lodge and the other interviewer said that to judge me in that respect would be "unmasonic and just plain stupid" to use his words. The only benefit I see to Prince Hall is that the majority of members are black so a black individual would not feel like they stand out.
I however do not feel that way, and truly feel like a brother Mason.

[edit on 1/11/2005 by cotwom]


I'm in California and in one of the left of left counties at that. From what I gathered with my discussions with several of the members of the lodge I hope to join that Blacks would probably of been turned away. Of course in the same breath they pointed out that Arabs, Asians, Native Americans etc... were all accepted, seemed strange to me. Eh, every Grand Lodge is different and to some extent I'm sure every lodge is different.


Originally posted by cotwom
I don't know why a white man would join PH, I just know it's happened.


I know from a post over at thelodgeroom.com that one white-man wished to join/attend the PH group because he was rather disillusioned by the manner of dress and shoddy ritual of the mainstream lodge that he was initiated at. A few members of the PH lodge attended one of his degrees in full tux and white gloves while his own lodge included some people wearing jeans.



posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by cotwom
That is true although white men may also join Price Hall although this is rare.

I don't know why a white man would join PH, I just know it's happened.




There, in percentage wise, are more masons that want Prince Hall recognised than not, on masonic boards throughout the internet it is a constant topic, where I don't think I have ever seen a post against the global recognition of Prince Hall.

SO why would a white man want to join PH?

Personally I would do it to show PH is more masonic than any lodge or grand lodge that that does not permit the entry of a coloured man to the craft. I don't recall in the constitutions it require a certain colour skin to be accepted, to which any lodge not accepting coloured people is acting in contra to the regulations laid does by Freemasonry and also bringing politics of acceptance and class into a lodge, both of which are non-masonic.

Hey but that is IMO, what do I know I only know 5 steps



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join