It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Don't Like Your Search Engine

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Really? That is indeed curious. I just did a search now, and the term I used was education, as an example. The first 20 or so pages I got, I didn't go any further, were ALL ATS pages...that is weird, I can't explain why it doesn't work for you. You don't put a space between the colon and the domain, right?

Below is a useful bookmark for anyone who wants to play with google's search terms:

Google search operator words

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Really? That is indeed curious. I just did a search now, and the term I used was education, as an example. The first 20 or so pages I got, I didn't go any further, were ALL ATS pages...that is weird, I can't explain why it doesn't work for you. You don't put a space between the colon and the domain, right?

Below is a useful bookmark for anyone who wants to play with google's search terms:

Google search operator words

I think you will agree that what you propose isn't a long-term solution to the problem though. Plus google does not provide the functionality of the search tool I am suggesting for this website. More importantly it needs to be available within ATS.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: angryhulk

I agree that it is not really something ATS should require (leaving the site to search), I also however understand that as far as I can remember ATS search function has been a potato, and I don't think that will change really. I am simply using your thread to help anybody else who might not know about searching ATS through google.

I applaud your efforts, but unless SO says something to the contrary, I feel it is in vain.

edit on 15-3-2016 by Jonjonj because: clarity

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   

I agree that it is not really something ATS should require (leaving the site to search), I also however understand that as far as I can remember ATS search function has been a potato, and I don't think that will change really. I am simply using your thread to help anybody else who might not know about searching ATS through google.

I applaud your efforts, but unless SO says something to the contrary, I feel it is in vain.

Somebody needs to take a stand my friend.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   

And the very best of luck to you for that!

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   

ATS search engine is well known for being a potato.

Yet if it was an advertisement issue it would have been fixed years ago. Or we'd be asked to pay for the site.

Why should I pay for a site that won't bother to fix it's search engine?

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys

ATS search engine is well known for being a potato.

Yet if it was an advertisement issue it would have been fixed years ago. Or we'd be asked to pay for the site.

Why should I pay for a site that won't bother to fix it's search engine?

I can't answer that. I also can't answer why you think you will have to pay for ATS. As far as I know, there is no plan to make people pay to use the site. There are thoughts on whether to offer a subscription or something similar to those who want it.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Why is this happening? Because over 'x' amount of years the user has been exposed to the daily creation of duplicate threads because the search engine is tedious. "

No, because people make frivolous threads about menial subjects, this and that isn't good enough here. Numerous threads without checking to see if its already up, by using any search engine you like. Like another poster pointed out, ATS search engine isn't the best, we know that. Compensate.

Maybe instead of complying you could help. Do you write code?

No? Then deal with it.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Why is this happening? Because over 'x' amount of years the user has been exposed to the daily creation of duplicate threads because the search engine is tedious. "

No, because people make frivolous threads about menial subjects, this and that isn't good enough here. Numerous threads without checking to see if its already up, by using any search engine you like. Like another poster pointed out, ATS search engine isn't the best, we know that. Compensate.

Maybe instead of complying you could help. Do you write code?

No? Then deal with it.

I'm helping by suggesting somebody has a look at the bloody search engine. Were you born an aggressive, awkward human or do you work on it?

If you do not have anything to say other than "use another search engine" or "write the code yourself" or "deal with it" then please, I'm begging you, just walk away and leave this thread to the people that may have a solution. Nobody is interested in your "I like it the way things are all the time" attitude.
edit on 3/16/16 by angryhulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Hey Hulk, clam down, you'll change back to human if you do.

Everyone thats been here awhile knows about the problems with the search engine… I been trying to help you understand that by proposing alternate methods you can utilize…

despite behaving like the Hulk, heres another.

You can reach a moderator about this problem and speak with them direct, just click the "little green man" (ironic that) and "send message" in the drop down menu below their avatar. They will be glad to tell you how busy they are dealing with site problems, DDOS, moderating discussions, etc.

If you don't know the correct spelling of the mod you wish to talk to, use the ATS search engine…

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I thought mods would review this post given it's in the Board Business & Questions forum?

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

We do, but there's not always much we can say.

I know SkepticOverlord is aware of the issues associated with the search feature, but only he can make the call.

So while I hate saying things that sound canned like "thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it," that's basically where we're at for now.

But for whatever it's worth, we really do appreciate it.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: angryhulk
ATS should be able to provide this.

-sigh- Indeed, and not for lack of trying.

Right now the biggest barrier to improving our search is CASH.

A few years back, when we were in the 8 million post range, I created a custom search engine that used boolean logic to search through all of our posts and threads. It worked well, and often gave the exact results you're wishing you could get. The problem is that it required posts to be what's known as a "full text index," meaning the content of every post is a database index. As we got bigger, and content exceeded 12 million posts, we couldn't afford the additional database infrastructure necessary to continue supporting the search.

We're currently using Google site search, and have been including key index components as meta content on every page. This would be used by their CSE, or Custom Search Engine, for more granular search results similar to what you (and others) would like to see. The problem here is that a CSE for a site our size (over 4 million pages) is really expensive.

There are other site-search solutions we explored, and back when we had around 1.8 million pages, the cost of indexing our site, storing the index, and delivering search results was well over $2,500/month, after set-up fees about twice that. Now with over 4 million pages, it will be more.

This is our dilemma with such a large high-traffic website. Yes, search would help, might even increase traffic and retention -- but we currently can't afford the cash outlay to get it right.

I regularly look for other options... and for now... this is the best we can manage.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Appreciate your feedback. I'm sure you will continue to pursue it, and when/if the money materializes one day, we may see an improvement.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join