It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stereotypes and Labels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I normally am not a person who would make a rant... I try to keep my cool. BUT, FINALLY, people have pushed me to a limit.

Well, here goes...

FIRST OF ALL, I hate being labelled for something I am not. EXAMPLE: I listen to "emo", "punk" music. (Bands such as My Chemical Romance, Coheed and Cambria, Fall Out Boy, AFI, etc...) I am not the "expected" type of person who would be listening to such music, being that I am West Indian in descent.

People make cracks about me and my friends being suicidal, cutters (people who cut themselves) and other garbage like that. MEANWHILE.. this is all coming from one of those white kids who thinks hes "gangster" just because he listens to Jay-Z, Eminem, 50 Cent and the rest of them.

I barely poke at him for his ways... but he is constantly flaming me for my tastes. I'll admit, that my friends DO TRY to label themselves, but I honestly don't. I also love to listen to classic rock (Queen, The Eagles, The Beatles) and reggae (Bob Marley, UB40, Desmond Dekker).

I don't consider myself and old rocker, rastafarian, punker, or emo kid. Listening to a certain type of music does not necessarily mirror the type of person you are. It MAY, but in my case, I listen to it because I LIKE IT.

I frankly don't care what people say or do, I'll continue to listen to WHAT I WANT, WHEN I WANT... and if you have a problem with that, you can just STICK IT.

----------------------------------

Ahhh, it actually felt good to get that off of my chest... THANKS, BTS!

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by prophetmike

I listen to it because I LIKE IT.

I frankly don't care what people say or do, I'll continue to listen to WHAT I WANT, WHEN I WANT... and if you have a problem with that, you can just STICK IT

Thats the best way to be, prophet

Just try not to let the labels get to you... They really don't matter.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
In high school, I was always picked on as a "Teeny Bopper", but now I listen to more rock and rap music.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
screw dem, musical taste varies and means nothing as to the type of person you are. Parrhesia is right, don't let labels bother you.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I frankly don't care what people say or do, I'll continue to listen to WHAT I WANT, WHEN I WANT... and if you have a problem with that, you can just STICK IT.

YOu got it!!!

I have to put up with my friends the same way. They're all into pop and rap while i listen to SOAD, Chevelle, etc.
All i can say is...when ive had enough its the verbal

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by I_s_i_s
Chevelle, etc.

just started listening to Chevelle, good band

prophetmike its best to ignore those who brand you, their either envious or ignorant...or most likely both

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Very true Prophet.
Just because I think the Beatles are a pile of
doesn't mean that other people are wrong to enjoy their music.

Who am I to judge people for their likes and dislikes anyway ?

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Just because I think the Beatles are a pile of doesn't mean that other people are wrong to enjoy their music.

HAHAHAHA! I Second that!

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'll repeat what my husband says about labels....

They belong on jars and thats it.

new topics

top topics

join