It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have grown 'dinosaur legs' on a chicken for the first time

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
lol . gonna be some big friggin chook legs at KFC in the future..................

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

playing god again are we??

poor chicken

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: laminatedsoul
Rat men will one day rule the planet.

They already do. Guess you have never visited Washington DC.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
Oh yeah?

What dino did a duck come from?

Ducks came from turtles you silly billy. Just goes to show you didn't read the bible in science class..

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat

originally posted by: Phage

one day man can re-create the raptor I will be truly amazed.

Can't. There is no dinosaur DNA available. A reasonable facsimile thereof, maybe. A raptorish chicken.

Hell, can't even make a mammoth, even though there are bits of mammoth DNA available, it still wouldn't be a mammoth. It would be a mammothish elephant.

Phooey !!!!

I am waiting for when they genetically make a human with tiny little mammal rat legs.

none of your nay saying!!!

no, no, no... It's Cat men that shall rule the planet!
The rest of the world will be that of The Island of Doctor Moreau.

The Island of Doctor Meow !! I hear you brother.

Greebo is in full agreeboment !!

All hail the feline nation !! *claws in the air*

edit on 14-3-2016 by laminatedsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: eyeinoz
lol . gonna be some big friggin chook legs at KFC in the future..................

All bone and gristle.

so you can expect to pay $25 a plate on all you can eat chicken-a-saur night at lonestar.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

They already do. Guess you have never visited Washington DC.

Not yet, Im moving there though. It will make a change from all the kangaroo feckers we have here.

besides I do enjoy feeding rodents cheese. ohh.. brb cheese on toast..

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk
Well, it answers that old question of which came first....the chicken or the egg, right?

Just a shame awakening dormant genes wont get us a real dinosaur.

But it will make succulent dino drumsticks for KFC I bet !!

Sad that this could be the ultimate end result of such things...

Damn, beat me to it, I was hoping no one had made a kfc joke

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk
Well, it answers that old question of which came first....the chicken or the egg, right?

Just a shame awakening dormant genes wont get us a real dinosaur.

But it will make succulent dino drumsticks for KFC I bet !!

Sad that this could be the ultimate end result of such things...

Are you kidding? the fat ratio was so low it be even tougher than shoeleather to eat. Let alone trying to capture it TO eat it. Theres a reason raptors went away,and bringing them back is a ecological disaster waiting to happen. They would not have any natural predators to keep them from a population explosion. And No dont try to sell me the we will make them all female and infertile crap. We all know how that worked out lol!!

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Can't. There is no dinosaur DNA available. A reasonable facsimile thereof, maybe. A raptorish chicken.

The biggest question is, how do they taste?

Kentucky Fried Raptor

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Yaba daba doo.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Are brontosaurus ribs next on the menu?

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

one day man can re-create the raptor I will be truly amazed.

Hell, can't even make a mammoth, even though there are bits of mammoth DNA available, it still wouldn't be a mammoth. It would be a mammothish elephant.

Phooey !!!!

I am waiting for when they genetically make a human with tiny little mammal rat legs.

none of your nay saying!!!

I think it's far more likely that one day Catmen will rule the planet. Combine the instincts of a feline with the intellect and opposable thumb of the human and they will be unstoppable!

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: wisvol

So chickens can grow lizardy legs by.. design?

Interesting, maybe it means the origin of man is other species.

Is the chicken in question still able to breed with other chickens?

Some genes code for the proteins used to make bones, cell membranes, internal organs. There's around 260 different cell types in a human. But more genes and possibly junk DNA code for the sequencing and timing of growth patterns used to create bones and internal organs. These work on a cascade principle. So it could be possible to activate blocked off pathways to change the size of a critter.

Just because you've changed the size of a leg bone isn't going to affect fertility. Maybe they will be able to grow chickens the size of ostriches.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

It would be a mammothish elephant.

Anybody answer: if you got a big enough population of mammothish elephants using DNA from a few different mammoths, could you then breed the elephant genes out?

Sounds like a Ph.D thesis for somebody.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
Anybody answer: if you got a big enough population of mammothish elephants using DNA from a few different mammoths, could you then breed the elephant genes out?
Sounds like a Ph.D thesis for somebody.

Already working on it:
motherboard.vice.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Hmm. They’ve got far to go, I think.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
Hmm. They’ve got far to go, I think.

I think that to speed things up they'll probably switch over to using gene replacement technique. But yeah, it might take a long time, as elephants (and mammoths) have a fairly long gestation and maturation period. Not quick like mice or rabbits.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Maybe they will be able to grow chickens the size of ostriches.

I have no doubt that interfering with foetal development can result in chickens the size of ostriches and all sorts of exotic things. I've seen some.

My point is that this isn't really showing anything more than xenografts and cyborg making in a microscopic level, and isn't evidence of the origin of species being other species unless one chooses the perspective of man being the origin of a new species, which is erroneous because as you remark:

Just because you've changed the size of a leg bone isn't going to affect fertility.

Food intake also affects the size of things, especially if you bring 'em young, as in foetal interference experiments. Gamete production manipulation in these experiments results in more revealing conclusions.
Genes are the skeleton of skeletons: even their appellation is etymologically revealing.

So it could be possible to activate blocked off pathways to change the size of a critter.

These aren't pathways blocked and activated any more than one blocks or activates a grafted pig's heart: cut part of a code, insert another, see it sometimes be viable in the host system for a while, draw conclusions.

possibly junk DNA code for

Calling junk code what isn't expressed in observed ways is a mistake, thanks for pointing that out.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

raptorish chicken

I wonder how that taste at Mc Donalds, together with a mc mammoth burger..

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join