It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi bill would require teachers to grade parents

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Abysha
a reply to: eisegesis

I don't get it. I always hear conservatives assert over and over that the parents know better than the teachers how to educate their children. Why are so many upset over a plan that will hold them accountable and to back up their talk with actions?

Exactly!

Complain, complain, complain.

But, when someone introduces a new idea involving responsibility - - - - nope, nope - - can't do that.

No one ever wants to actually do anything.

I believe parents should be more involved in their children's education but, I think this particular 'solution' has some serious drawbacks. I'll just be blunt. Children lie. All it takes is for the parent to give a child a consequence for bad behavior and the child resents it. Then the child screams 'child abuse' because they've been programmed to believe their every wish is to be given to them.

I'll throw in a few personal examples to make my point. My partner has 4 children. I have been threatened more than once by these 'little darlings' with accusations of abuse. If I bought the wrong shampoo or soap it was abuse. I kid you not. I bought a cheaper (still name brand but not the really expensive stuff) brand of shampoo once. They considered this abuse. Taking their electronics for a short period of time as a consequence for bad behavior. Abuse. The youngest (approximately 8 at the time) was behaving very badly in the car. Yelling, kicking me through the seatback etc. I was grinding my teeth, determined not to do anything to get the 'abuse' card flung at me. She knew she was getting to me and finally told me "I can do anything I want and you can't do ANYTHING ABOUT IT because I will REPORT YOU FOR CHILD ABUSE!" Mind you this was an 8 year old. This same child took 3 servings of food, literally leaving me NOTHING to eat one night after I cooked dinner. She ate half and threw the rest away. I sat down and cried. If I had taken some of it away from her she would have told everyone I was starving her. Mind you, these kids aren't horrible kids. They have just been programmed by today's society that if they don't get what they want, they can basically blackmail the adults.

So imagine some kid resenting their parents for some perceived slight and 'reporting' their parents, when in reality the child is just getting a consequence for their bad behavior? It can and will get ugly. A different solution needs to be found that will encourage parents to be active in their children's education.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

A different solution needs to be found that will encourage parents to be active in their children's education.

You're right it involves parents actually getting off their asses and being active in kids lives its that simple....

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   

A different solution needs to be found that will encourage parents to be active in their children's education.

If you read the bill you might find that is exactly the intent.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi

So imagine some kid resenting their parents for some perceived slight and 'reporting' their parents, when in reality the child is just getting a consequence for their bad behavior? It can and will get ugly. A different solution needs to be found that will encourage parents to be active in their children's education.

Been through that twice with CPS - - granddaughter and her father.

Its amazing how well things work out when you work with the system and the tools they provide. Instead of fighting them.
edit on 14-3-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Exactly who judges them the ones who want to lay blame on someone other than who is really responsible for their failing schools?

Thats just the point.We have very sub-par teachers grading parents ? Betcha a high percentage of parents are more learned than a very high percentage of those set to grade them...

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

The grading is not based on the parents' academic performance.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Ugh...

When I say "what good will it do" I'm asking to what end do these grades go?

That was all MumboJumbo with no real end product.

Criminal court for repeat offenders?
State Custody claims?

Where does it end?

Or does it end with an F and simply shaming the "guilty" party?

As to your first remark, no it isn't interesting, it's a proclomation that if this bull# had arisen and my own mother had been given an F for doing everything she could, despite me continuing to be delinquent, yes I'd have set the place alight.

And sparked a spliff on the embers.
edit on 14-3-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: Spelling.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Criminal court for repeat offenders?
No.

State Custody claims?
No.

yes I'd have set the place alight.
And your mom would, I'm sure, have been proud of her little arsonist.

edit on 3/14/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Perhaps not.

Raises a pertinent point though.

What if parents do everything within their power and nothing changes?

Short of battering their children into submission, only then to get an F anyways.

This is flawed and you all know it.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   

I guess there's no point in trying then.

This is flawed and you all know it.
In general, life is full of flaws.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I understand what you are saying. I really do. The problem is in today's world, many children live in single parent homes. Mom and Dad don't get along. One parent can encourage the kids to rebel against the other simply for revenge. I have lived in fear for 8 years because my partner's ex is a diagnosed sociopath. He used to get the kids to do all sorts of things just to get his jollies out of causing trouble in our household. My partner used to be constantly stressed because getting a visit from Child and Family Services is no laughing matter. It is rarely a 'one and done' visit. They get a complaint and they can be in your life for months. Dear God help you if they happen to visit on the day the dog decided to puke on the carpet. OMG. You must be an awful parent because on the day they visit, your house is considered dirty because the dog had an accident 2 minutes before they arrived! There must be a better solution.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Gothmog

The grading is not based on the parents' academic performance.

Neither are the students' by these same teachers..

edit on 1201631010320161 by Gothmog because: and neither did I judging by my grammar skills

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   

I understand what you are saying. I really do. The problem is in today's world, many children live in single parent homes. Mom and Dad don't get along. One parent can encourage the kids to rebel against the other simply for revenge. I have lived in fear for 8 years because my partner's ex is a diagnosed sociopath. He used to get the kids to do all sorts of things just to get his jollies out of causing trouble in our household. My partner used to be constantly stressed because getting a visit from Child and Family Services is no laughing matter. It is rarely a 'one and done' visit. They get a complaint and they can be in your life for months. Dear God help you if they happen to visit on the day the dog decided to puke on the carpet. OMG. You must be an awful parent because on the day they visit, your house is considered dirty because the dog had an accident 2 minutes before they arrived! There must be a better solution.

Excuses.

You don't know my life do you? You don't know what I've gone through as a single mom.

But, I've lived long enough - - am currently working on raising a third generation now.

They are all excuses. Real or not - - still excuses.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   

I guess there's no point in trying then.

Who said they're not already trying?

All based on assumption!

In general, life is full of flaws.

Including parenting.

I know, let's let the nanny state start grading their performances...

Oh wait some genius already thought that was a good idea.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   

If you read the bill you might find that is exactly the intent.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Should we find a way to get parents more involved in education? Yes but these 'good intentions' could end with horribly worse consequences than some would imagine. My own personal experience tells me so.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Who said they're not already trying?
No one.

All based on assumption!
Based on observation.

I know, let's let the nanny state start grading their performances...
I have a better idea. Let's assume that the child's home life is great and the parents are fully engaged. Let's assume that the kid is just a hot mess.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic about the blatant sarcasm...

Stupid internet.

LOL

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Yes but these 'good intentions' could end with horribly worse consequences than some would imagine.

Yeah, well. That sort of applies universally, doesn't it?

Actually, I don't really think it would be very effective. But the outrage over it? Don't see much reason for that either.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Excuses.

You don't know my life do you? You don't know what I've gone through as a single mom.

But, I've lived long enough - - am currently working on raising a third generation now.

No I do not know your life and never claimed I did. I just gave you examples of what has actually happened to me. How is that making excuses? I've said multiple time that parents should be more involved. IMO this is not the solution based on my own personal experience. Is my experience any less valid than yours?

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Excuses.

No I do not know your life and never claimed I did. I just gave you examples of what has actually happened to me. How is that making excuses? I've said multiple time that parents should be more involved. IMO this is not the solution based on my own personal experience. Is my experience any less valid than yours?

I'm not making any excuses for my life.

I know what I did wrong and what I did right.

ALL of it is on me.

Of course, it did take me a lifetime to realize most dis-functionality is excuses.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join