It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old people playing new computer games. GTA5 Funny and interesting.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
Does anybody really believe these videos are not scripted? This is not how a normal person would behave. Most people that age don't know how terrible games like this really are or there would be more people questioning if these games have something to do with mass shootings.

Hmm, I never thought of it that way.

Have you ever heard of a thing called The Bible? Talked about murder, and beyond murder - mass genocide on a grand scale, far before the inception of video games.

As well as certain events in history such as The Holocaust, how about the Rawanda genocide?

Not to be a dick, but the correlation between violent video games and "mass shootings," just doesn't exist.

Now - if we get talking about psychotropic and prescription narcotic abuse and mass shootings, there seems to be a link.

I have a very dear and close friend who is an avid gamer and has played violent video games his entire life - his occupation? Youth ministry.

As to saying young children should not play this, well - common sense isn't so common anymore, and contrary to popular belief young children cannot purchase certain-rated games, and rightfully so, yet is often overcome by friends/family - which, is not a problem of video gaming, it's a problem of familial affairs.

To question if video games have anything to do with mass shootings, do we suffer from collective amnesia? How many acts of atrocity has man committed to one another before the inception of violent video games, movies, or music?

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
Does anybody really believe these videos are not scripted? This is not how a normal person would behave. Most people that age don't know how terrible games like this really are or there would be more people questioning if these games have something to do with mass shootings.

If you look at the units sold of this game you would realize quite quickly that there's really no connection with GTA (and violent games in general) and mass shootings. Otherwise there would probably be way more mass shootings than there are. Kids shouldn't be playing games that are rated mature anyway and thats why there is a ratings system to let parents know what is in the games. Personally I love playing GTA and I can't even bring myself to kill a bug.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Lol classic, I love it.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to: TerryMcGuire

GTA being one of the most graphic and realistic games around at the moment is probably the best game to test your theory with.

That being said I think you are wrong.

The thing about this game compared to the one you played is vastness. Your game was very precise where as GTA is again vast, driving, buying and flying is just scratching the surface of things to do.

If GTA had residual effects on memory and state of mind, by your ruling we'd be as gamers shopping more, driving and flying more.

Fact is people have been trying to blame video games and movies for violance for a long time now... A hundred years ago we read violent books and stories instead. Have books been blamed for our violent societies?

Truth is films, books and games can be fiction or fact in manner and ALL of it is a reflection of humanity, agression doesn't come from any of these forms of art if you will it comes from the person.
Do games, films and books influence people? Of course they do but they are not the problem, otherwise we'd have destroyed each other by now.

edit on 14-3-2016 by RAY1990 because: more to add, spelling

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

I was 8 years old playing games way more violent than gta v (yes, they did exist in those days) back in the late 90's and early 2000's developers tried to push things to see how violent they could make a game. I was an 8 year old who regularly dismembered characters in games, who had access to guns, and enjoyed hunting and shooting a lot. I've never shot anyone in my life, I've never deliberately caused any human suffering.

All I can say is it's about perspective. If you know your kid, you'll know if he/she should be playing these games.
Then again, I would rather suggest KSP just to be on the safe side

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

In case you didn't know, these are all scripted.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

No, they are not all scripted.

This one of me and my son Josh (he's 13) playing Dungeon Nightmares 2 is NOT scripted at all:

Plenty of jump scares that had us almost come out of our seats.

As for video games helping stave off Alzheimer's and/or Dementia, I can certainly believe it.

My grandmother stopped doing yard work, gardening and going out with her friends about the time she hit 75. For the next 14 years, she pretty much spend her days sitting in an easy chair in front of her TV. The dementia set it pretty fast, then later the Alzheimer's be fore she died at 89.

My father, after beating prostrate cancer spent more time sitting in a chair in front of the TV too, and before he died 4 years later of stomach cancer, I was seeing signs of dementia with him.

I believe there have been case studies showing that inactivity both physical and mental can help bring on dementia and even Alzheimer's.

My uncle was starting to suffer from dementia, then he started spending time with his grandkids, playing xbox games with him.
His dementia has improved dramatically.

One would think that sitting their playing video games, the lack of physical activity is bad, and that's true. However, unlike just watching TV, video games make you have to think, use your mind with eye to hand coordination. Adventure and puzzle games are even better.

Like I said in my earlier post. I'm going on 50 this year, but I certainly am not going to stop playing games any time soon. To hell with that!

I'm having too much fun!

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Who's talking about your videos? I'm talking about the series posted in the OP.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther
a reply to: BrianFlanders

I was 8 years old playing games way more violent than gta v (yes, they did exist in those days) back in the late 90's and early 2000's developers tried to push things to see how violent they could make a game. I was an 8 year old who regularly dismembered characters in games, who had access to guns, and enjoyed hunting and shooting a lot. I've never shot anyone in my life, I've never deliberately caused any human suffering.

All I can say is it's about perspective. If you know your kid, you'll know if he/she should be playing these games.
Then again, I would rather suggest KSP just to be on the safe side

I grew up playing games like the original GTA and silent hill resident evil ect.

Body count still at zero and even flies and wasps don't get whacked.

I was painting something the other day and a little insect got stuck to the paint, took me ages before I gave up on the poor little bugger·

Playing a game where you can punch an old lady in the neck and steal her car just for fun did not warp my mind half as much as some would like you to think.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
a reply to: nonspecific

In case you didn't know, these are all scripted.

So was the George Carlin stand up I watched last night yet it was still both funny and interesting?

Cheer up sir.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

This one of me and my son Josh (he's 13) playing Dungeon Nightmares 2 is NOT scripted at all:

Plenty of jump scares that had us almost come out of our seats.

My grandma was fit as a fiddle until the day she retired and then dementia rapidly set in as she had nothing to do and atrophied. My grandad however who retired and remained active was as fit as good be and on the ball until the day his heart gave out.

My Grandma lived out her days wearing a nappy under constant supervision. I know this is anecdotal but it happens a lot.

I look forward to getting old enough that I can play games again, ot has a certain "full circle" appeal to it.

As for video games helping stave off Alzheimer's and/or Dementia, I can certainly believe it.

My grandmother stopped doing yard work, gardening and going out with her friends about the time she hit 75. For the next 14 years, she pretty much spend her days sitting in an easy chair in front of her TV. The dementia set it pretty fast, then later the Alzheimer's be fore she died at 89.

My father, after beating prostrate cancer spent more time sitting in a chair in front of the TV too, and before he died 4 years later of stomach cancer, I was seeing signs of dementia with him.

I believe there have been case studies showing that inactivity both physical and mental can help bring on dementia and even Alzheimer's.

My uncle was starting to suffer from dementia, then he started spending time with his grandkids, playing xbox games with him.
His dementia has improved dramatically.

One would think that sitting their playing video games, the lack of physical activity is bad, and that's true. However, unlike just watching TV, video games make you have to think, use your mind with eye to hand coordination. Adventure and puzzle games are even better.

Like I said in my earlier post. I'm going on 50 this year, but I certainly am not going to stop playing games any time soon. To hell with that!

I'm having too much fun!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join