It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone really like daylight saving!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

That must be beautiful!

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Here in Hawaii we don't have DST. I never got to experience it, maybe were lucky, unlucky.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ckhk3

Your lucky. I travel to Lahaina twice a year. Now that I think of it your right no time change. Thank you!

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Does anyone really like daylight saving!

A bloke whom i trust to tell me an accurate account of something i did not see on TV but he did, said he watched this debate on TV in Australia some years ago. During this debate it was admitted by an academic cum economist, that the purpose of daylight saving is to maximise spending by the public.

According to this bloke, it was stated on the TV program that studies in several parts of the world had shown that the public spends more during daylight hours than they do during the hours of darkness, using hour for hour comparisons.

Its this interesting statistic that drives govt desire to bring in daylight saving in the summer and no, the public by and large are not in favour of it. If the govt thought the public was in favour of it they would hold a referendum to validate the govts action.

In the state where I live there are have been 3-4 referendums on daylight saving and all of them have been defeated. For how long we can hold out I don't know.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

And yet the Mojave is quite beautiful. The plants and flowers that thrive in the arrid conditions and the rock formations and canyons stop your breath.
Does Las Vegas observe daylight savings time?
You'd think they would want longer night time hours huh?

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

If we didn't go back the winter would be very very dark when you need to have the kids up for school . The days will get shorter no matter what we name the hours and mornings would be dark until 8AM not good. Kids out in the dark to catch a bus.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

I think moving the clocks forward is too little too late. I think we should move them forward 2-3 hours from standard time permanently. The majority of people either work or attend school during the majority of daylight hours. For many of us that means little to no exposure to daylight, except through an office/school window for severa months out of the year (except for weekends.)

I like having some daylight when i get home. Even as spring begins, there's not much daylight remaining by the time people get home and have dinner. People are bizarre about running lawnmowers after dark too. Even if it's 8:00 PM, people get pissy about it if it's dark out (usually retired or jobless people who can't comprehend that we're not able to mow the lawn remotely from work (yet.)

I think sundown should happen no earlier than 7pm on Dec 21st. Who benefits from having so few hours of daylight outside of work hours? The most common argument i hear is from people referencing "morning commuters would have to drive to work in the dark." So? Evening commuters do now, and guess what? They're the SAME commuters!

ETA: ok, sillyolme's comment just above mine regarding kids waiting for the bus in the dark is valid. However, I would be willing to pay an extra $100/yr in taxes to pay for armed security for the kids.
edit on 3/14/2016 by dogstar23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
blegh.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Azureblue, I agree with your wonderful post. It's all about money. Spending money while the sun is up. Who wants to spend when the sun is down. It is funny that you wrote this because the New York Times agrees with you. Here is the source

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Sillyolme, yes Las Vegas does have daylight saving. Now I am learning more about spending money while the sun is up I don't think it's about saving but all about spending.

*sending email to TPTB: subject: please change daylight saving to daylight spending!

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Dogstar23, George V Hudson from New Zealand had a plan to change the clocks by 2 hours. A good plan but it did not works out here is the source I agree with paying the $100.00 for a armed guard. That is funny.
edit on 14-3-2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12

Dogstar23, George V Hudson from New Zealand had a plan to change the clocks by 2 hours. A good plan but it did not works out here is the source I agree with paying the $100.00 for a armed guard. That is funny.

That's great that it had at least been tried. I guess it'll never happen - we don't have much justification other than "we want daylight." Ah well, though I won't need clocks when I retire, I've always planned on setting them all way ahead when I'm retired anyhow, just to finally "get my way."

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Your funny. Toss the clocks, I love it.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Seriously? It's an hour change twice a year. Be adults people, seriously. It's not that big of a deal, and it's not like it's sprung on us at random without warning. We all have weeks to "prepare" .... for a simple, one hour time change at midnight.

Its...really not that big of a deal. Here in Alaska? It gives us extra daylight in the morning which is kind of nice.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

My friend lives in Alaska. Every year around June 21 she called me to tell me we have midnight sun. She loves the sun and wished it would never go dark. I understand your point. It's only one hour.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I love springing forward - Reason being is this: For someone that works a typing 8-5 shift, and can't afford to work less due to student loans (as well as saving up for a house), getting that extra hour of daylight is a godsend. In the winter, I hate that it's dark or getting dark when I get ready to leave. No parks are open, I'm forced to practice indoors, and although I do enjoy walking in the woods at night, walking in a technology area at night isn't the same.

Don't know about you, but most of the parks out by me close at sunset, which means I can be in them until 8/9 at the latest (Friday's once work is done with is amazing).

-fossilera

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: fossilera

I agree fall back can make people sad. Leaving work and daylight is gone makes a drab drive. Parks are great. Unenjoyable in the dark I agree. I live in Santa Monica one block from the beach. Spring forward gives extra time playing in the sand LOL.

edit on 15-3-2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12
So U.S. clocks spring forward again today, Sunday, March 13, for daylight saving time, the annual event that stretches the hours of evening sunlight and irritates those who'd rather leave well enough alone. So back in 1784 Ben Franklin was thinking. He was thinking so hard, wax from lit candles dripped all over his kite, he was not paying attention.

His thinking let him to a plan to save his candles. I will spring my clocks forward when the snow begins to melt. I will save many of candle this way. They will burn for one hour less each day.

When the trees leaves turn brown. I will fall back and change time back to normal.

*sends secret email to TPTB about his plan.

So does anyone really like the time change?
what if you just ignore it? What could happen, right?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaelci

Would be nice to have a constant time that never changed
Just because it's hotter weather and you may want to spend an extra hour out in the sun, it's no excuse to suddenly remove an hour of time. Just.. go out there. Enjoy the sun. The time doesn't dictate what you do, YOU do!
if everyone did that then we would all need our own Sun and I only have four.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Godthief

I like your idea Godtheif! Ignore!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join