It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone really like daylight saving!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
So U.S. clocks spring forward again today, Sunday, March 13, for daylight saving time, the annual event that stretches the hours of evening sunlight and irritates those who'd rather leave well enough alone. So back in 1784 Ben Franklin was thinking. He was thinking so hard, wax from lit candles dripped all over his kite, he was not paying attention.

His thinking let him to a plan to save his candles. I will spring my clocks forward when the snow begins to melt. I will save many of candle this way. They will burn for one hour less each day.

When the trees leaves turn brown. I will fall back and change time back to normal.

*sends secret email to TPTB about his plan.

So does anyone really like the time change?

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12
So does anyone really like the time change?

I only like it in fall. Last night, not so much.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Actually, that's a common misconception: Franklin had nothing to do with Daylight Savings Time.

You can thank a New Zealander for that. His name was George Hudson in the late 1890s.

It's been used in various places in the US off and on during the 20th century.

Personally? Meh. Doesn't bother me that much unless I forget to set the clocks.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
daylight longer in the summer...
of course i like it
i hate winter with it getting dark at 5:30 pm #

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I agree AugustusMasonicus. Changing the clock in the fall gives people more time to sleep. And some an extra hour at the bar.
edit on 13-3-2016 by Quantum12 because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I know that in the Fall that is the only day Homer Simpson is early for work.
In the Spring time he laments the "Lousy Farmers".
Inacurate. But Funny.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I always try to do that in the daytime. I tried in the dark once and damn near cut my throat.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Changing the clocks twice a year is bullhonkey.

I didn't change either of my analog clocks over the winter, because where they are now is what I feel is the "right" "time"

Of course, the rest of the world DID change their clocks, so the last X months have been screwing with my internal clock. When work starts tomorrow at a different time than it did last week, my internal clock won't match up with their clocks.

Perpetual nonsense machine, we've created.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Thank you erictheawful.

Hudson and Willett. Hudson had a plan to change the clocks by two hours so fall back 2 hours and spring forward 2 hours.

Willet had a crazy plan, he wanted the clocks changed by 20 min intervals 8 times per year starting with the four Sunday's in April and changing back four times each Sunday in September.

I am glad the later of the two did not take place!

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Spader

This saving light thing has really messed me up!

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Iv'e always said daylight savings time is a stupid idea even when I was a kid, can't people just accept there are more hours of daylight during the summer time and less in the winter without changing the clocks.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: NeoSpace

I agree NeoSpace. Some parts of Nevada decided to not change their clock. Never Ever.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears
Just to clarify...there's exactly the same amount of sunshine daily regardless of what the clock says.

I just wish instead of screwing with the whole time scheme, employers, businesses, and organizations could just adjust their hours of operation if they really wanted to benefit from later sun. Counterproductive pain in the arse in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Praetorius

That could be he best idea ever Praetorius!

Folks we have decided not to change our clocks for the daylight saving thing. We will adjust our hours instead.LOL

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I remember the rituals of saving daylight... a worthy cause if ever there was.

Living in Arizona, I don't have to fiddle with clocks... we're a cantankerous state that likes our time as it is, all year 'round, productivity be darned.

It's one if the few big perks to living here, actually, though it wreaks havoc in the business world at large, as nobody in the surrounding world really knows what time we think it is.

Luckily, not many care what time we experience and we're not near any commercial pulse.

As it should be... enjoy the circadian hiccups.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
To take it a step further, I'm looking into the whole Universal Time argument - doing away with time zones and just having it always be the same time everywhere on earth. Sure, it would be weird during adjustment for some areas to have sunrise at 11pm, but get over the mental hurdles and needed initial adjustments and just think about how much that would simplify oh so many things across the board.

What we've done with this artificial construct we call time is fragmented and problematic. Let's just shift towards simplicity and common sense for once.

ETA:
See what Baddogma just posted, there are areas that just sit the whole silly thing out - and they appear suprisingly untroubled by their lack of participation.

edit on 3/13/2016 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Baddogma you forgot to mention Airizona is a great place to live! You can enjoy the Airizona Snowbowl a great place to ski. Leave the snow and be in nice warm temps. A win win.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

As a proofreader, I can tell that places already adjust their hours regardless of daylight saving time. Twice a year, we have to oversee the switch in formatting on everyone's hour swap.

PITA!
edit on 13-3-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I work over 12 hours a day. 6-630 pm. I have pretty extensive year round vegetable gardens, but cant see them without a flash light after work. I was out there last night picking Kale, snow peas, swiss chard, and lemons to go in my soup with my flash light. It sucks. So yes I do like the extra hour of sun light

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Praetorius

Yes Preetorius. That would so help with my jet lag flying from NY to CA. I am in.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join