It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Acronyms 101, or "What the heck are they talking about?"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

NOKAWTG also whatever happened to boomer?

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

Life, the universe and everything.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

To quote Mr. Lebowksi, That's a bummer dude

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
long overdue, but it's a step in the right direction.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Does SNAFU fit in there somewhere .

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622
Maybe BOHICA, too?

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I was reading through the list and saw: SEAD, DEAD, and CAS, but no CAP, Combat Air Patrol. If anymore come to mind that aren't on the list I will try to add them. Also a full list of phonetics might help some. It amazes me when a person's job involves communications and they say things like D as in Dave and N as in Nanny. Not that there is a globally recognized set for them to go by, lets be original I guess?
Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India, Juliet, Kilo, Lima, Mike, November, Oscar, Papa, Quebec, Romeo, Sierra, Tango, Uniform, Victor, Whiskey, X-ray, Yankee and Zulu.

Cheers, Nuts

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
As I said, this is far from complete so feel free to add any you guys feel we missed.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
FUBAR - military procurement? a world wide one i'd bet

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: IronNuts

The Nancy and David phonetics are from the LAPD Radio Alphabet.

I remember that from the old TV series Adam-12. Apparently the reason for using a radio code with more names in it made it easier for the cops to remember things like license plates.

-dex

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

I just met somebody today who didn't know either SNAFU or FUBAR (or what happens when SNAFU goes south).

The NATO phonetics is used often in nerd, uh, computer, land as well.

Wikipedia: NATO phonetic alphabet

You would cringe at all the variations people invent! Or cross between the LAPD and the NATO one! Working in computers you run across lots of ex-military and they just shake their head like, "How hard is it to know your 'Adam' from your 'alpha'??"

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot indeed!

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

SNAFU, TARFU and FUBAR! I also like CC2, FIDO, ESBAM.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Feel free to come up with your own any time.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Then where's your thread? I mean, if it's long overdue, why did you have to wait till Zaph started one?

I'm sure glad you think it's a step in the right direction too, I was worried there for a second.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

well just think it's a good idea to have a glossary explaining a majority of the terms and acronyms so that other members can follow along easier.

as for me starting up a thread on it. I'm not the forum subject matter expert thus I feel the honors go to someone a little more knowledgable than i.

but you gotta admit members have been asking for something like this for a while. I think it's a good step in the right direction in being more inclusive with the members. it's sometimes alienating to them if people are speaking a jargon filled language they don't fully follow.

just sayn.
edit on 14-3-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Ah! Finally I can start to try and understand what you guys say. One that you told me was Zaph was MITO .. Minimum Interval Takeoff (please be right)

I think that's only stuck with me because I've watched a few MITO vids in YouTube numerous of times. Great idea and great thread thanks

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Yeah that's right. Videos are fun, seventy five feet from the runway is even better.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I'll just get right on that then. Any more requests I can jam into my day?

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   

not really. I think this thread is a fantastic idea, and that you've done plenty of Good work regarding today. dont know why you would think otherwise.

just saying I bet a lot of members are probably grateful of this thread. it's something many have been hoping for. it makes the aviation forum more accessible to the average Joe. and therefore more inclusive. it's a good thing.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Tr-3b? Triangular Reported 3 Bullsh!t?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join