It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Study: 3 federal laws could reduce gun deaths by more than 90%"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

According Trump, even Trolls have free speech. So I can put out ideas cause I think tracking the gun and ammo is a good one.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

How? I live in Illinois, where we have to have a F.O.I.D. to buy ammo. If I went to Wal Mart right now, bought 100 rounds and then went out and did something crazy, how would tracking the ammo stop me?
Criminals don't use a F.O.I.D. card...well, because they're criminals and get their guns and ammo from black market dealers. So, how is tracking a law abiding person's purchases going to stop them?
Doesn't seemed to have done a damn thing in Chicago. Wonder why that is? Oh...right. Because, once again, we're talking about the people who will never follow the law to begin with, so another law is not going to make a difference.
Why do we keep having to explain this?

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   

You are 100% right.. I may disagree with your opinion on this subject, but I will fight to the death to defend your right to have that opinion and to share it.

We cannot find common ground with name calling it must be a rational discussion.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

So...let's figure out how to keep guns and ammo out of the hands of black market dealers?

And if it's so easy to get guns and ammo from black market dealers, why aren't we cracking down on black market dealers?

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The idea that criminals will obey new laws... is something that the OP doesn't care about.

Everything she's learned about guns and gun control, she learned on TV or from folks who have no interest in doing the work to find their own facts.

None of us would allow someone to pre-chew our dinner, and spit it out onto a plate, where we would scoop it up and swallow it.

But when it comes to emotionally charged political issues... engaging reason and logic, well... that's too difficult. Why bother, when we can just rely on someone in "authority" to do all the reasoning and thinking for us?

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

How about we try and figure out how to get our CURRENT laws ENFORCED!

I am not willing to accept ANY new laws until our CURRENT laws are enforced.

WTF is so hard to understand?

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Because it's so much easier to write a feel good law, that basically targets law abiding citizens, does nothing to actually stop crime, but makes the do gooders feel like they've done something.
That's all it is. The politicians pandering to the anti gun crowd, without really doing anything at all.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Yup, feel good legislation and hindering LAW ABIDNG people is their #1 goal.

I seriously don't know why these people encourage non enforcement of our current laws.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

So...let's figure out how to keep guns and ammo out of the hands of black market dealers?

And if it's so easy to get guns and ammo from black market dealers, why aren't we cracking down on black market dealers?

Guns will be a lot harder to police than heroin.
There isn't a lot of opium poppies grown as a crop here, yet heroin is widely available, all smuggled into the country.
Guns could be smuggled in also, but a small machine shop could make illegal guns in a basement, garage or old warehouse.
Can a dog be trained to alert on newly manufactured guns that have never been fired? I don't know the answer to that one.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

We are a State with some of the most restricted "common sense gun laws", yet our States "gun problem" is out of control. HOW CAN THAT BE???

Because criminals don't obey laws and when they get caught committing crimes, they don't face the penalties for their crimes.

The real criminals serve the state better out in public, committing crimes. That merry go round grea$e$ the wheel$ of the ju$tice $y$tem. Meanwhile the prisons overflow with petty criminals, caught stealing money or smoking dope.

If they locked up the real criminals, the streets would be safer, there would be less need of law enforcement, judges, courts, lawyers.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Hi, have you ever heard of a JB weld special? If you have not then you may be interested to know that a saw cut parts kit can be assembled into a full auto machine gun with nothing more than JB weld. These kits are delivered to your door with no checks whatsoever. You may also be interested in a documentary called the Gunsmith of Williamsburg.

You cant limit appetite with legislation. You will very simply create an underground ammo world. At least now most do obey the armor piercing rules. If millions of Americans want their arms. That's what they will have! The study does not take black market good into account. I have heard many times that there is a parts kit "Wide variety" in country for for every person in this country. This was not the case before the last Federal gun control attempt E.G. Brady/Clinton ban.

JB weld special.
www.gunbroker.com...
www.gunbroker.com...

Also you might like to know that every explosive on earth starts with compost or high nitrate soil. This includes smokeless powder. Nitric acid is the mother of all modern cartridges.

The parts kits are the reason why our gangs are the best armed on the planet, not Cabela's etc.. Have you ever heard the term "Flogging a limp log"? You seek to punish law abiding folks, and will continue to ignore the fact that criminals could give a rats ass about the 10 years they risk by assembling a kit etc.. And Sir as long as some gang banger has whatever he wants I will too! The difference of course being that I follow all NFA rules and use the ATF tax stamp route to obtain my machine guns legally.

These mass shooters are just seeking fame! If you were about to take yourself out what's to stop you from leaving a name for yourself? Make it a criminal offense to mention the name of a mass shooter publically, and end the glam.

Then again be a good citizen and obey your preferred news outlet. CNN is after all the voice of the American people right?

There used to be an anti-propaganda law that prevented the U.S. government’s broadcasting arm from delivering programming to American audiences. But on July 2, that came to an end.

The result: an unleashing of thousands of hours per week of government-funded radio and TV programs for domestic U.S. consumption. A green light for U.S. domestic propaganda efforts.

You gun control folks, are right. Now is the time to surrender our arms and place all of our trust in the Federal Government. It is most certainly not because any nut case with a death wish can be famous?

What's happening now that Net Neutrality is dead? Every ISP is going to move to pay as you go model and push everyone back to the boob tube and standard programming. The days of unlimited bandwidth are numbered. Looks like the Internet was a threat.
edit on 14-3-2016 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Apparently guns are as easy to find from shady black market types as hot dogs in NYC or something. At least that's how people make it out to seem.

I would have NO CLUE where to get a black market weapon. Hell, I'd probably be the one getting shot for asking shady looking people about where I can get a "gun on the DL".

Has anyone seen that scene from "It's Always Sunny" where Dennis & Dee go to the "hood" to score drugs?

That would be me trying to find a black market gun.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Gun Control is class warfare.

In every nation with "strict gun control," it is always control of the 'little people' that is measured. The wealthy can still hunt--they are the only ones allowed to do so. They are protected by guns--only their bodyguards are allowed to be armed.

Every legal hoop to jump through, every expense and fee, is a way to prevent gun usage by POOR PEOPLE.

Democrats complain that "voter ID" laws prevent the poor from voting. Doesn't FOID do precisely the same thing???

It is class warfare. Pure and simple.
edit on 14/3/2016 by redempsh because: cha-ching! It's all about the money, honey

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

a reply to: butcherguy

Apparently guns are as easy to find from shady black market types as hot dogs in NYC or something. At least that's how people make it out to seem.

I would have NO CLUE where to get a black market weapon. Hell, I'd probably be the one getting shot for asking shady looking people about where I can get a "gun on the DL".

Has anyone seen that scene from "It's Always Sunny" where Dennis & Dee go to the "hood" to score drugs?

That would be me trying to find a black market gun.

Make them illegal and there will be plenty of black market outlets available.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Seems like for this to be true lawfully obtained guns would have to account for 95-99% of all gun deaths. I somehow doubt that.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This so called "study" is fundamentally flawed.
It does not even rise to the level of science.
The study did not control for variables that could influence reductions in gun deaths that were not related to the changes in laws.
It simply looked for data to support its conclusion...note I did not say hypothesis.

It includes suicides in its gun death numbers.
Suicides WILL happen. there is no moral justification for removing my rights to try and stop someone from killing themselves.
Here locally we have had two suicides in the last year where the person went into a gun range, rented a gun from the range, walked onto the range and killed themselves. Some people are just at that place and it sucks but if it was not a gun they would drive their car off a cliff or jump off a bridge.

Just for the record. If this level of gun control is passed in the US I will not comply with it. Thats assuming we dont just up and have a revolution to correct it.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Guns will be a lot harder to police than heroin.
There isn't a lot of opium poppies grown as a crop here, yet heroin is widely available, all smuggled into the country.
Guns could be smuggled in also, but a small machine shop could make illegal guns in a basement, garage or old warehouse.
Can a dog be trained to alert on newly manufactured guns that have never been fired? I don't know the answer to that one.

Excellent points.
Also keep in mind many handguns are made almost entirely of hard plastic these days, with only the most important parts in steel. That polymer is specifically required by law to include particles that will show up on metal detectors. If I am making my own guns and they are illegal anyways then I will make them as undetectable as possible...

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: Realtruth

According Trump, even Trolls have free speech. So I can put out ideas cause I think tracking the gun and ammo is a good one.

Thats because you do not understand the futility of tracking ammo and other aspects of firearms.
Maryland tried to track the ballistic fingerprint of every gun sold in the state.
That expensive experiment solved literally NO single crime. None, not a single gun was traced via the efforts.
Complete waste of taxpayer dollars.
See the ballistic fingerprint depends on the firing pin but also on the barrel.
Both are parts that can be made in a home machine shop and replaced....
Ammo and its component parts are commonly obtain so that people can reload their own ammo to save money.
You cant know the shear amount of ammo parts that are sitting on shelves. There are three men that I know that could literally load for the rest of their life and never purchase another round of ammunition. The genie is out of the bottle.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Dragoon01

That is why I put it out there, opinions. I did not do the study, I just read it.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

That makes sense actually. Control ammo.

If you are practicing, buy your ammo from a range for that day.

Keep you gun and its ammo. If you are buying more ammo its because you are shooting things. I dont see the problem, just dont treat it like cigarettes. Dont mark them up just to make us poorer.

Its a good halfway point on the issue.

Background checks, sure.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join